Houzz Logo Print
joseph_corlett

Dear Kohler

Joseph Corlett, LLC
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Dear Kohler:

Here is your K3945:

But the K3945 doesn't come with the pictured faucet deck.

I've had one welded on. That was very tricky according to my metal fabricator; the thin steel kept buckling. He nailed the factory finish and me for $400.00, but it was worth it. I specified the bend on the end to stiffen the deck, but next time I'll get some triangulated stanchions too because I had to cleat this one to the cabinet back to keep it snug to the stone.

Why all the bother?

This is why. Unlike this job, that swoop on the back of the big bowl is out of the range of your standard K3945. On a job with a backsplash, I can sometimes turn a front rail into the rear and have the gap hide under a splash. Not so on a splashless peninsula or island. The faucet hole is even further behind the swoop; I've got to cut out the faucet hole and swoop and matching steel has to close the gap.

Yes, it's a 36" sink in a 42" cabinet. And yes, the apron doesn't extend as far as you specify. Why not?

Because this drawer would never open again if it did. One kitchen designer's screw-up haunts everyone until the tops are replaced and the proper filler installed. You have no idea how grateful I am that the homeowner pointed this out to me before I started cutting stone.

So the cabinet front goes around, instead of behind, the apron. Structurally it's a non-issue because two Sink Straps are pushing the sink up; the cabinet front only has to hold the cabinet sides apart and the doors on.

Kohler, you may want to add this sink to your line up. (I'll release my rights if you name this sink after me.) There are a boatload of these types of installations out there begging for a solution. I don't think I could have undermounted a K-3942; the apron is too tall.

Can that lady pick a faucet or what? Dang.

Comments (52)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    Original Author
    6 years ago

astro777:

Please. I am not in the sink business; I'm in the fashion business.

Everyone's got a sink; everyone's got a roof. Do you want to look mahvelous or feel mahvelous?

If you have recurring gunk at your undermounted sink, it's leaking. If you can slip a steak knife between your sink and the stone bottom, or if the knife comes out wet, your sink is leaking. If you can press on your sink divider and pump water from the flange, it's leaking. If it's leaking and your top is reinforced with steel rodding, you're flirting with catastrophic top failure. Gunk sinks have to be reinstalled and waterproofed. Why not replace while you're at it?

This sink was installed with the notorious wood-blocks-spanning-the-sink-flange/stone bottom with polyester method. Mr. Gravity will not have it. I promise that sink was comin' down.

• Related Discussions

Vintage Powder Room Reno Pix

Q

Comments (13)
    Dear Lisa0527: It is not a custom top. Those marble console sinks are so expensive and I had to keep it tight. SH made the most inexpensive version, and one that was only 2' wide -- that's all the space I had. I investigated buying the top and legs separately, and I did find an online seller that was offering the chrome base at a good price -- but, once I started pricing the marble top-- materials, labor -- the total went right back up to the SH price. That said, I don't think the SH marble is the best quality, but it's a good value. I wasn't worried about the thickness of the stone -- this is a powder room, so it doesn't get the workout of a main bathroom -- it's more about the nature of marble itself -- easily etched, a bit softer than granite. This marble was not very white, but again, it was good for the price. I'm happy with it.
    ...See More

You Know You're Remodeling When.... - A Classic

Q

Comments (18)
    This is a great thread. We're not remodeling but building a new house, and man, can I relate to a lot of these. ...you know every lighting fixture, faucet, sink, appliance by memory because you have endlessly researched each one. you freak out your own GC because you can discuss minute details about your house/kitchen from memory down to the 1/8". you have more e-mails from your GC/subs than you do from your friends. you wake up in the middle of the night in a cold sweat about some critical detail and then go downstairs to e-mail your GC about it right at the moment before you forget.
    ...See More

Lighting question - choices and placement

Q

Comments (2)
    I really like the pendants as well with your choices. I'm not seeing the clear crystal urn shaped with them though. Are you drawn to the urn shape? Is that what you wanted over your table? YOu would have to have a very small table for the scale to be alright with that. What size is your table? If you go to Bellacor or LIghting Universe they both have filters that allow you to pick/choose specifics (material, shade type, size, shape, finishes) and then see what's available. I just went through this... GOOD LUCK!
    ...See More

Do your pull-down faucets drip?

Q

Comments (12)
    I have a Whitehaus pulldown that doesn't drip. My prep sink is a Blanco that occassionally will let out a few drips -- kind of a burp a while after the water has been running. We are planning on replacing that faucet, but not because of the drips. DH decided he really wanted a spray at the prep sink, so we've been looking for the right one that will fit the single hole installation, sink and overall space. Meanwhile, the Blanco's been just fine.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Michelle:

I think it's a Kohler too, but I'm not positive. She bought it at Ferguson's.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Notice the failing finish on the top of the cabinet doors? Yeah, that's from a conventional sink installation, not an apron front sink. Aprons may dribble water, but certainly not any more than any other.

• Michelle misses Sophie
    6 years ago

Thanks Joe - absolutely love her choices (in sink, faucet, and contractor/fashion business dude ;-) ) Off to the Ferguson website to find it.

ETA - Kohler Tournant K77515 https://www.fergusonshowrooms.com/product/Kohler-K77515-Vibrant-Stainless-1034471?Ns=AvailabilitySort%7C0%7C%7CPrimary_Finish%7C1%7C%7CSort_Order%7C1&N=103+219+55+3000860+3000356+165

Joseph Corlett, LLC thanked Michelle misses Sophie
  • cpartist
    6 years ago

This sink was installed with the notorious wood-blocks-spanning-the-sink-flange/stone bottom with polyester method.

Care to explain better?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Here's a picture of it.

Instead of drilling the top and inserting clips or strapping the sink mechanically, some fabricators mistakenly believe that gluing a block bridging the sink flange and stone bottom will hold a sink in place. It won't.

• Fori
    6 years ago

I think every sink should have a faucet deck like that. Weird that they just stopped making (most of) them that way. It will always be practical.

Joseph Corlett, LLC thanked Fori
  • eam44
    6 years ago

Swanky-licious Joe!

Joseph Corlett, LLC thanked eam44
  • just_janni
    6 years ago

total update and transformation! Probably made them love their kitchen again!

Joseph Corlett, LLC thanked just_janni
  • Donna E
    6 years ago

It looks really nice.

I know lots people with undermount sinks. Are sink failures common?

• PRO
    Quartz - Stone Care, Cleaning & Repair Experts
    6 years ago

No, they fail due to poor installation. You only need to silicone them on and use something like megapoxy to set the corners while the silicone dries

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    Original Author
    6 years ago

astro777:

Sink failures are common and rampant. I rehang nearly one a week.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    Original Author
    6 years ago

"No, they fail due to poor installation."

True.

"You only need to silicone them on and use something like megapoxy to set the corners while the silicone dries"

False.

Undermounted sinks must be mechanically fastened unless they are designed specifically for an adhesive bond like a Corian sink or a Karran Edge series. While silicone does have adhesive properties, its function at a sink is one of a gasket.

A double bowl sink with only the corners fastened has no support in the center from the sink itself, is quite flexible, and will fail. Guaranteed. I see it constantly.

The real danger from a leaking sink is reinforcement rod failure which can split the stone.

• Lisa 902
    6 years ago

@Stone Care dude, I dunno if you're trying to sell your services, but being this unpleasant is surely not going to get you anywhere.

• cpartist
    6 years ago

I have to agree with Lisa 902. Quartz - Stone Care all your posts have been shall we say unpleasant and not helpful. Frankly, I'll take Joseph's advice over yours any day.

• Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
    6 years ago

You have to hand it to Joseph, he answers this QSCCRE guy with lots of grace.

I think someone needs to read How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie- before it's too late.

• PRO
    6 years ago

Rita our point is that if you don't know the correct information or think you do, just check it and then there is no incorrect information.

That is all we are trying to do, educated the myths, wives tales etc that some have picked up. We all do it at some stage take a hear say advice.

But it does have consequences if you are wrong, we are just trying to save the heartache from end users.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    Original Author
    6 years ago

QSCCRE:

Where did I say to mechanically fasten sinks to stone?

Where? Anywhere? No. I never did. Had you comprehended the material you read, you would have known that.

Many engineered stone manufacturers prohibit mechanical attachments of any kind (page 22), however, that does not mean sinks cannot be mechanically fastened.

A Hercules Universal Sink Harness or a Sink Strap will mechanically fasten sinks to the cabinet sides, not the bottom of the top and turn one of the weakest areas of a top into one of the strongest.

P.S.:

Q, notice how I linked to things? That is known as "substantiating what you say". It builds credibility and readers are impressed. Name calling not so much. Try it, please.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    Original Author
    6 years ago

QSCCRE:

You aren't going to believe this, but an Australian Caesarstone fabricator, Form Rite, has made a video showing their violating Caesarstone's sink installation instructions by inserting mechanical clips into the bottom of the top. @5:00 or so.

• stillpitpat
    6 years ago

I am curious about this "sprouting" business. That's twice now Joe has been accused of sprouting off. I guess he doesn't spout off because he's not a sink guy?

• PRO
    6 years ago

Joseph Corlett, LLC It's actually a caesarstone video...Formrite we do some repair work for as they supply the larger retailers the ready to go cabinets and tops etc... They are cabinet makers .... But your information show Caesarstone again are hypocritical on their own information . You are right on this point... at 5.11 of Caesarstone.s own video they show this.

Valid point though... you could agree that they endorse this until you look at the below

This screen shot is from page 102 and on 103 you will see any sealing will also void the warranty. These are straight from the Fabrication and Installation Guide for Caesarstone.

Caesarstone warranty voids this as well as your fabrication guidelines.

My point is that Caesarstone will say one thing and then have in something else that says NOT to do it!

This leads to Total Kaos and confusion as you have pointed out Joseph and why the information is not always correct on your side, as the one point of the information or what they are showing.

So you may not be incorrect, but why some of the information you are saying is incorrect and why you think it is correct. Which is valid... but also incorrect as it will void the warranty

It voids the warranty at the end of the day..

• Donna E
    6 years ago

I'm no expert, but the idea of silicone alone holding up a big sink full of water for years seems crazy to me. I would think there would be some sort of mechanical attachment (to cabinet or counter).

Maybe drop ins are more logical!

• PRO
    6 years ago

My suggestion is to silicone a sink on to an piece of quartz, clamp it down as you would normally, Then try and remove the sink... It is almost impossible without destroying the sink.

Silicone even at say 1/4mm thickness still has a shear strength of 200 lb/in2

• chicagopa
    6 years ago
    Following
  • PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I repair sinks that have been adhered in place with silicone and polyester bridging the sink flange and stone bottom constantly. Twice a week lately. It does not work; it is a recipe for failure I promise. Sinks must be mechanically fastened. End of story.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    Original Author
    6 years ago

stillpitpat:

I'm not sure I understand your statement. I believe I am a "sink guy".

Back when everyone asked the kids "What do you want to be when you grow up?" and others answered "fireman" or "trucker", I didn't say "sink guy". It's just that fabrication, installation, and repairs don't pay as much as sink replacements. I earn established lawyer rates for fixing the poor work of fabricators and sink manufacturers and my clients are very happy.

I'm gonna ride this career horse for another three years or so, until I'm 65, then I'm gonna get a job as a writer. Or a bra fitter at Nordstroms.

• Donna E
    6 years ago

Joseph, most of us appreciate your time, advice, and courteous responses. And humor.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    Original Author
    6 years ago

QSCCRE:

It only voids the warranty if you drill the estone like the Aussies in the video. Strapping sinks to cabinet sides, as I've advocated here for years, does no such thing. Please, comprehend the posts to which you are responding.

• PRO
    6 years ago

Big straps if the sink is in the middle of the cabinet... and not practical...

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    Original Author
    6 years ago

QSCCRE:

The Kohler in this post is held in place with two Sink Straps, one in front of and one behind the drain. Perhaps I should make a video of me jumping up and down in the sink and it not budging. That's not happening with a sink adhered in place; I'll boot it out in one stomp.

• stillpitpat
    6 years ago

I was taking your statement "I am not in the sink business" literally. I just reread, and oops! I guess I took it literally b/c I think of you as a countertop guy more than a sink guy, but that's not what you meant anyway. lol.
    Really, I was just amused by the idea of "sprouting off." Once is a typo, but twice is just funny. And it makes me picture someone sprouting. I wonder what that would look like.

Joseph Corlett, LLC thanked stillpitpat
  • stillpitpat
    6 years ago

I was also making the point that you don't "spout" (no R) off.

Joseph Corlett, LLC thanked stillpitpat
  • cpartist
    6 years ago

You have to hand it to Joseph, he answers this QSCCRE guy with lots of grace.

Having had the pleasure of meeting Joseph, I will say he's a class act.

Joseph Corlett, LLC thanked cpartist
  • Chessie
    6 years ago

Reading this thread, and the old phrase "at ease disease, there is a fungus among us" keeps coming to mind. :-)

Great job on the sink - I like that faucet deck.

Joseph Corlett, LLC thanked Chessie
  • PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    Original Author
    6 years ago

"I was also making the point that you don't "spout" (no R) off."

stillpitpat:

Thanks, but I'm sure my wife disagrees.

• catinthehat
    6 years ago

Joseph, really appreciate all the great information you've provided over the years. Would you recommend a sink strap for a new undermount installation? I was originally going to build 2x4 supports with legs on the sides or bottom inside of the cabinet. The sink would basically rest on this platform and not rely on the cabinet strength. Sink strap seems like less work though. I'm installing 36" whitehaven inside a 36" apron ready sink cab. This sink is really heavy...

Joseph Corlett, LLC thanked catinthehat
  • PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    Original Author
    6 years ago

cat:

i'm always retrofitting; it doesn't appear you are if you've got the luxury of picking a cabinet designed to accommodate your sink. A properly sized cabinet should hold that sink without additional supports.

• catinthehat
    6 years ago

Thanks a ton, appreciate that. Looks like I will be using the sink strap method. I had an old outdated kitchen that came with the home we purchased. Long story short, I ended up gutting the whole space to build a kitchen from the ground up the way I wanted it. I am a fan of "overbuilding" when it comes to my own home.

• nanj
    6 years ago

This sink was held on with several blobs of epoxy on squares of quartz blocks....until it wasn't. No installer will do this at my house again!

• Chessie
    6 years ago

Oh wow. Was that a recent install?

• stillpitpat
    6 years ago

Yikes!

• nanj
    6 years ago

Chess, I think this was done about 10 years ago, maybe less. We are in a rental house while we build so I'm not sure of the history. The large bowl was filled with water when suddenly it gave way. The garbage disposer kept it from falling further.

I have followed Joe's posts for years about mounting sinks on stone countertops - never thought I'd be one who learned the hard way!

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Any sink with a divider can't be secured with corner blocks/clips only. Unlike a single bowl, the middle of the sink is steel on the flat and quite flexible. When a divided sink is strapped, it doesn't flex. It can't.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Well Kohler, here we go again. That big 'ole swoop on the left side will not allow the installation of a 3943 since it has no faucet flange.

I've had a faucet flange welded on again, although this time my metal fabricator ripped off your 1" flange at the bend and welded on a 4 1/4" faucet deck with stainless stanchions for support. You really need to start making this sink.

It's a lot easier to just cut these jokers out the top, especially when I don't have the wrench for that faucet. Lookit that brown nasty leaking sink flange gunk.

Why I HATE sink clips. All four of them. Nasty.

Another reason to hate sink clips. When I cut for the new opening, I've bisected the reinforcement rod on the left and the sink clip embedding polyester on the right. I gotta fix both:

The cabinet front is removed and the Sink Straps are installed. The sink gets clamped to the level through the drain hole until the cabinet front can slip under the apron.

This is how much mess this job really makes. Not too bad.

Yeah, that's a Kohler faucet too. Wake up you guys. This is new market; you're not cannablilzing anything.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Kohler, this is what I'm talkin' about. You put that face on the momma, and it's game over.

• ghostlyvision
    6 years ago

Until Kohler makes a sink with that deck, you'll just have to patent that "Joe, you're a superstar!" expression for yourself.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Dear Kohler:

I'm probably getting to be a pest, but there is just so much wrong with your Whitehaven short apron sink installation video. I don't like the recommended 2x4 blocking to support the sink; it may shrink and cause a leak, unlike a Pete's Sink Mount kit. Stainless steel doesn't shrink and unlike fixed blocking, it's adjustable even after installation.

My biggest problem with your video is that it implies that you must install the sink before the countertop. Nonsense. You guys are cheating yourselves out of a boatload of retrofit business. Here's how it's done:

Yeah, someone else lowered the bar top and made the seam an epoxy feature, but I digress.

This is the crucial measurement. Deducting for the amount of top overhanging the face of the cabinets, in this case about an inch and a half (screwdriver tip), if the remaining dimension to the sink cut out exceeds around 19", no Whitehaven for you. You can't weld a faucet flange onto enameled cast iron.

If you're lucky enough to have pocket screws fastening your cabinet face frame on, you can probably get out of smacking the face frame off. You'll have to trim the top inside edge of the cabinet to let the sink flange pass, but that's covered by the apron anyway, so hack away.

A spray paint can bottom makes a perfect template for tracing the sink radius to the top. The long cuts are nearly dust free with a Festool rail saw, but you've got to chew and freehand with a grinder to get the curves. Expect a little dust.

The reinforcing rod in front must be ground back and the slots filled. I found a few other spots. The blue tape marks make the faucet hole plugs get adhered at the same place they were fitted.

When a fabricator mistakenly drills a faucet hole in a new top, this is probably an unacceptable repair. When I fill the holes you already had, this is completely acceptable. Funny how that works. Remember, you're bending way over the sink to get this view. Standing at the sink, you can't see 'em.

Unless you like lying on your back inside a dark cabinet, install the faucet and soap dispenser before the sink, please.

I can't say enough good about Pete's Sink Mount Kit; I don't know how you're going to do this job without it. Dial it down, plop the 80lb. sink on top of the mounts, reattach the cabinet front, silicone the flange (clear, not white), dial the sink up with a screwdriver, Windex off the squeeze out, and pack up your tools. You're done.

Oh, and get the final check. You may get a hug from your homeowner; I did.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Dear Kohler:

I thought you may like to see what your Strive K5283 looks like retrofitted. With its gently rounded corners and included accessories, this is dang nice sink. And yes, just like you say in your instructions, the 36" cabinet had to be altered a bit to accommodate the sink flange. But who cares? The little bit of cabinet I removed is being replaced with 9" of stainless steel, because I harnessed this baby in place.

Can you believe that front rail granite? It's only 2 3/8" wide! You can do that when you don't need room for clips which you don't when you strap a sink in place. Actually it's that narrow because I'm too lazy to pull the faucets and cut in the rear if I don't have to and I didn't. She lost her tip-out drawer but has no regrets. Fashion, practicality, and speed; I love it.

P.S.:

I just had another K3943 delivered yesterday and I'm taking it to the fab shop on Monday to have the faucet deck welded on. That's three in four months from one guy in one city; imagine what your marketing department could do. Obviously the demand is there. I'll keep you posted.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Well Kohler, here we go again, fourth sink with the welded faucet deck in nearly as many months. I've got the 5th almost ready as a rod repair, but he's still in price denial. When are you going to start making this sink?

That's a Kraus faucet.

I had to fill the bisected sink stud slots. Maybe two colors of adhesive next time. On the other hand, you can't see these standing at the sink. No one ever gets this view but the cleaning lady.

Aren't these the greatest light fixtures? You can see how well they work in the first two pictures. She said she got them on Houzz. I digress.