SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mcfaunm

Looking for gardening advice. Perennial Flower layout for zone 6.

mcfaunm
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I live 8-10 miles North of Boston. I have very low soil areas due to ledge. There are actual rocks in my basement. Land slopes a lot. More then appears in the picture. I would have to measure the height over the distance to get a more precise idea but it’s pretty steep by the bushes (N top of pic) after the bushes that I hate but hold soil, it drops right off to the neighbors. I have built walls with stones which are very abundant. They are everywhere....

My grandmothe had a beautiful rock garden which is now a weed garden. Some plants still manage to come up every year. I want to tackle the easier side first. I have been gardening for 3 years, so I’m reading and learning more every year. Last summer, I moved so many plants around then relocated, etc. So, this year I want to have an idea of a layout and go with it.

Currently, I have 4 Salvias, 6 miniature rose bushes, Asian lilies, Hydrangeas (front yard), 2- Day lilies, 4 Asters, Lupine, Tropicana Black (only 1), Silver Mound (1), 2 cone flowers, 4 Plumbago, 2 Yellow Ceoropsis, one Red Tickseeds (Big Bang Mercury).

I have ordered a white hybrid tea Rose (Pope John Paul II), an Elganza Rose (Wedding Bells), a Red hybrid tea, Dahlias (Pink and Red). I like too many plants and buy without an idea of where I’m going to plant them. I know it’s not good. I’m stuck on how to layout the area where it slopes, I would love to remove the hedges and replace with something better one day. I have stairs that need to be fixed. Currently, it’s crushed stone, kills your feet and very uneven. I want to remove the grass on the hill toward the North. It’s just unused space. I would love to have a path from where the woods (NE, top right of pic.) and go up to the top of the hill. I’m just lost on how to layout the design or where to begin. I plan on filling in the sloping area to make it less steep but this would require building more stone walls which I don’t mind. I just cant think of a good layout for the wall. I would love a 3 season perennial garden. Last year, I had way too many annuals. I do have two wooden buckets I use to place on the big exposed rock. Any all advice would be appreciated. If they let you load more pictures it would be easier to see the slope and problem areas. I took the above picture from the second floor window in my bedroom.

⬆️ N

Comments (5)