SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Opinions on Lilies: Black Charm, Night Rider, and Queen of the Night?

linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I am working on a deep purple and /or wine colored bed. Other flowers are white. Foliage there is either purple, wine, or golden green (think Sambucus Nigra, etc., gold hostas and Japanese forest grass. )

I am picky about overall flower form, and especially petal form. I especially don’t care for narrow petals.

Good form wins out over color. That said, I am not looking for a so-called “black” or wine that is actually bright RED.

I bought several Landini some years back and disliked it. Color was fine, though a bit dull: but the petal form was narrow, I didn’t like the round tips, and the fact that the form stays cupped and does not open. I moved them all elsewhere. I think they were insulted and died.

I bought Dimention last spring, and Night Flyer and Mascara last fall. But I have not seen any of them bloom. So I can only judge from photos online.

I also have Mapira, planted fall 2016. I think I liked it when it bloomed, but I don’t remember and it looks like I didn’t take photos. They were very small bulbs and didn’t bloom much, I think.

I know this is getting complicated. But if you have Black Charm, Night Rider, and Queen of the Night, please let me know what you think of the color and form!

Also, if any of these are too similar to the ones I already have (Dimention and Mapira) I will take them off the shopping list.

Thanks.

Comments (5)