SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Putting minis in pots glazed or UN glazed inside? Does it matter?

linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Question for those who know about the health of minis in pots:

I use a lot of purchased glazed ceramic pots on my stone patio, but have never seen anything I might like for a grouping of minis. Just plain rounds. All of my purchased pots are UNglazed on the inside. I don’t know if there is a reason for doing this, with regard to the health of the plants. Or maybe they just don’t bother to glaze the inside, to save on glaze, since the inside will be covered by soil?

I make pottery for fun in a class. Yesterday I made a long curved oval pot that will showcase 3 minis. It is red stoneware. It has an integrated attached saucer with 5 (3/8”) drain holes going from the bottom edges of the pot into the saucer.

So my question is: glaze the inside, or not? I don’t need to save on glaze so that’s not a factor. The
outside will definitely be glazed, to be more attractive.

What matters to me is that I do whatever is best for the health of the hostas. It took me 8 hours yesterday just to make the pot, and I have yet to put handles on (it will be HEAVY!). I don’t want to go to all this labor, and kill the precious hostas.

I am in Zone 5b, Chicago. I will have to bring the pot into the attached garage for the winter to prevent
damage to the pot OR the hostas.

Does anyone know the relative merits for glazed inside versus unglazed inside?

Thanks for your advice.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County