SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fcc0

Sweet potatoes not that sweet?

fcc0
6 years ago

Had trouble sprouting sweet potatoes so picked up a six pack of plants from Lowes. I think it was Bonnie's Beauregard but not sure. Anyway, I was surprised at the huge size of the tubers and yield. I had a huge box of 1-2 pound tubers (this is mid PA) and they stored fine in my cool basement all winter. A couple sprouted nicely right in the box so l got a bunch of slips which rooted in water for the next Spring. I put them in small pots to grow under lights until it was warm enough to put them out. I got an even bigger crop with this second generation. A small wheelbarrow full from 7 or 8 plants. They appeared to be perfectly developed and ripe when I dug them after a frost nipped the vines.

Anyway, we always roast them in the oven until soft and serve with butter. What I noticed is that they don't seem as perfectly sweet as I think they should be. But I can't really be sure. Is it just faulty memory or different varieties? We baked up some at the same time as some acorn squash and butternut squash. The squash were both noticeably sweeter. Not that the sweet potatoes were bad - just a bit more starchy especially in comparison.

So what do think? Is this normal? Do I have an issue with varieties or culture?

I never had such a beautiful crop - I tend to think this is just the way they are.

But I would love to hear your thoughts!

Frank

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County