SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jiffer21225

Cumaru - Brazilian Teak Flooring and gaping

jiffer21225
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I am going to be laying new hardwood flooring in my older home and I fell in love with a prefinished Cumaru Brazilian teak 5 inch wide flooring. My concern is gaping once it is installed. I live on the East Coast where our winters can be cold ( winter can get as low as 10-15 deg ) and we have very humid summers. I am looking at having it installed within the next month. Will installing in the dryer colder months help with gaping?

How long do you guys recommend I acclimate the flooring before its installed? Would 2 weeks be enough time? Do you guys think this wood is to unstable and I should look at another type? I have been looking for the perfect floor for the past 4 months and this Brazilian teak is by far my favorite.

I expect some gaping with a wood floor but I have read horror stories of people who have gaps so big a quarter can fit in it and it never shrinks back. Do you think that is installation error or the wood? If you have any advice on how to avoid large gaps I would appreciate it.

Comment (1)