SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
britta_s85

Lighting for L-Kitchen with L-Island

Britta
6 years ago

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for help deciding where to put which lights.

We are close to starting our kitchen remodel and have nearly everything final except the lighting.

The kitchen has an L-Perimeter (broken up by a through way to the dining room) and will have an L-Island as well with integrated banquet for seating.

Currently we have a rectangular island, one pendant above the kitchen table, one fluorescent ugly ceiling light and under cabinet lighting (which will be in the new kitchen as well).

I drew up 3 different layouts I came up with. Excuse my sketching, it's definitely a bit off dimension wise, but I think the idea is visible. Explanations: The green stars are can lights, the yellow ones are new pendants and the red one is the existing table pendant.

So in layout 1 the can lights are only located through out the walkways between the counters, 3 pendants over "sink part" of the island and one over the other leg of the island. This layout has the old over the table pendant light integrated as well.

Layout two has less can lights between the counters, but additional ones on the window side of the kitchen. Additionally I added another pendant over the island. The table pendant stayed where it was.

With layout three I went a bit crazy with the can lights, limited the pendants to just the 3 over the island and replaced the table pendant with a can light as well.

My gut feeling says that 3 will look the cleanest. Layout 2 might have too many pendants?

Also, the can lights in between the counters: I'm not 100% sure about the placement. Middle? More to perimeter (but there are the under cabinet lights?)? More to the island?

I really appreciate your help, so I can put my last worry to rest (until the next one pops up :) ).

Comments (4)