SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sammers510

Questions about potting up

Sammers510
6 years ago

Hello all, I am new to figs and bought my figs (11 varieties, I know I went overboard) last year from one green world during their fig sale. Almost all of them are in one gallon pots. I didn't want to stress them out by re-potting right before their dormant period so I left them alone. I want to pot them up soon to larger pots before they started leafing out, when do figs typically break dormancy? I was thinking of moving them all to 5 gallon pots and hope they had plenty of room to grow over the season, is this a good size or is that too big of a jump at once?/not enough of a jump? My options are black growers pots or fabric Root Pouches. I had great luck with the root pouches with veggies last year and would be curious to see how the figs would do in them but if they like to be warmer the growers pots would keep the roots at a warmer temperature. What kind of mix do they typically like? They are currently in some type of potting mix. I could mix up some potting mix and perlite or I use 5-1-1 for my citrus and could make some for them as well though that makes it much more expensive. Thanks for any advice your willing to give! I love figs and can't wait to have some of my own!

Comments (22)

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals