SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hostahillbilly

'Up-Potting' - Jes What Is That All About?

hostahillbilly
11 years ago

For the about 20 years I've been a hostaholic's bubby I've always been curious about the whole 'up-potting' thingy.

It seems that is is 'common' knowledge that it is proper and 'right' to start little plants in little potYe bigger pot, then again to an even bigger pot, then YEt again to YET another bigger pot, and EVENTUALLY to their final resting ground in a garden.

Sooooo, what's up wid all that root aggrivation?

As an experiment, without my wife's knowing it, I planted my first 'approved' Hosta bed by sticking them in the ground right out of the pots, without doing all the spread the roots out, remove all the original soil, and so forth.

I just laid out the bed, made holes about the size of the pots they were in, and dropped them in.

Now a few years later, these are big, bad, mean, overdoing the area I thought I'd planned for mature ones to occupy.

So, what the heck is all the fuss about disturbing the roots of plants to up-pot them.
it
I'm just so DUH about this. Perhaps I was just dumb lucky with the few dozen Hostas I've just 'dropped in'? Wouldn't be the first time, and hope it's the last.

Now the 'scientist' side of me wants to inquire about why so many folk do all the 'up-potting' routine?

I'm thinking that it may be an 'ol' wives tale' kind of thing, sorta like that Hostas are 'shade plants', but as so often in the past, folks in higher USDA zones are fond of reminding me that Hostas I can and should put in full sun would puke in their gardens.

So, does anyone want to go hog-wild about the seemingly crazy practice of disturbing Hosta roots several times to 'up-pot' them?

Let's let this be a 'fire-away' thread, no holds barred. Old school 'it's always been done', please say if you know why. Dumb lazy why should I do it if it works to not, like me, well, ummm, dare we question wisdom?

Don't get me wrong, I think I appreciate the wisdom of age old experience, but then again, there are 'ol wives tales', and there are reasons for such ol' common sayings (to be 'safe' and 'PC' and recognizing my life experiencing, I'll admit and recognize that there are just as many 'ol 'husbands' tales'/

Review:

What's up with 'up-potting'? Is there a real explanation for this common practice?

hh

Comments (20)