SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
raee_gw

Pruning advice please

So I ventured out today to prune the apples trees for the first time. I'm a little late - rain, rain and more rain had delayed me, but still I was surprised to see buds swelling already. The quince even has a few blossoms starting to open -- early this year!

I've done my research and knew to prune off crossing, inward growing, and water sprouts. Still, I didn't feel sure of myself. This is the first year I am pruning since the deer have devastated the trees in the past -- this past year I've managed to keep them away so they've put on a lot of growth. (I have 5 dwarf apples in ground, and several more dwarf, semi and standard in pots and barrels.)

Here's my question -- I have 2 trees that have what may be water sprouts that are well developed enough that I am just not sure -- I would like your opinion on which (if any) to remove. Here is the first tree, pics taken from front (branch in question is on the right)and back (it is on the left):

This second tree has 2 branches that I question, but it also seems to be double trunked. What should I do with it? These pics might be harder to see what I mean -- I took the best shots I could:

I'll appreciate any advice -- thanks!

Comments (5)