SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
johnvisciano

Please Help! - Pencil Cactus (Euphorbia Tirucalli) with Dried Stems

johnvisciano
6 years ago

Hello all, I've had this large 5 foot Pencil "Cactus" (aka Milk Bush, & properly identified as Euphorbia Tirucalli). It's been fairly straightforward in it's indoor care thus far. It's growing nicely, its color is vibrant , and I allow it to dry out completely between waterings (every 4-5 weeks in winter). I've also fertilized it every 3 months or so with a highly diluted 12-4-8 liquid fertilizer. Lastly, it's in my bedroom in a basement apartment which has large windows with both South & East exposures. * I also wanted to give it some extra light, so i installed a 2 foot fluorescent "grow light" (24 watt / 120 V, Spectralux 6500°K (blue) T5 HO Lamp).

Since its most recent monthly watering, I noticed a large number of dried / dead / grey / shriveled stems (the "pencils"), which i have just pruned off. -- I'm sure the plant will be fine, but I am planning to repot it this Spring & I want to ensure that there's no unnecessary stress on the plant, which could become a more serious problem when combined with the re-potting.

Possible problems: (from the last 1-2 weeks)

- 2 weeks ago; I fertilized the plant when its soil was too dry OR the fertilizer wasn't diluted enough, or both.

- upon it's last watering, I accidentally wet most of the plant itself (branches / stems & all)

I'd love any advice on what I've described above regarding the sudden dried/dead stems that i've just pruned off and / or collected at the base of the plant.

(*SEE PHOTO* of 20 or so small & medium sized "pencils" or clusters of stems)

Other photos are just for your to see the plant in it's entirety and perhaps you'll see something that I've overlooked.

Thanks again.

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County