SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
awhite522

What's wrong with this Prickly Pear Pad/cutting?

A W
6 years ago

Recently got 2 prickly pear cuttings/pads and one of them looks sick/wrong. One of them is nice and green from both sides. I attached pics of the good "healthy" one and the "sick" one.

But the other one looks perfectly health on one side and completely different on the other side. I've got no experience with cactus so Don't know what exactly to expect. I looked everywhere online and can't find anything that looks like this.

I thought it might be scale but usually on other plants if its scale i can peel it off, squeeze it between my nails and they'll be some liquid if it was alive. But this even looks different if I try to peel it off it comes off with some cactus skin and it's completly dry/flakey.

And if it is an insect/pest why would it be only on one side? What else could it be, it even has another pad starting to grow on it which looks perfectly normal?

Is it salvageable, it makes me sad to just throw it out :(

Also (no cactus experience) does this look like a callous, looks fairly dry, it's been almost 3 or 4 days since they were taken, should i still wait couple more days to pot them up?

Thanks so much for any help!

"Sick" side of cactus:

other normal looking side of this "sick" cactus:

cut end of it:

Other cutting which looks healthy on both sides:

cut end of this cutting:

Comments (15)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH