SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alilaz4

Help with curb appeal

Ali Channell
6 years ago
I have a very small yard and the drive way is on the same side of the house as the walkway to the front door. Should we repave pathway to front door? Or use a different stone? Pave driveway? If we pave driveway, what kind of pavement or stone? What type of landscaping? Should we repaint fence a different color? I’m thinking shudders will look good but open to advice please :) . Thanks!

Comments (19)

• Ali Channell
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I LOVE this @Dig Doug!!! I wonder how expensive it would be??? I added some furniture to my porch... I think it makes it a little cozier as well...
  • Related Discussions

Need help with curb appeal/landscape

Q

Comments (7)
    You can also hire a qualified and experienced landscape designer for either an onsite consultation or to develop a planting plan that you can DIY at your convenience. This is a very affordable option, rarely costing more than a couple hundred bucks and should be considered an investment in your property rather than just an expense as it will save you the expense of trial and error plantings and can increase property values. Online design sources tend to be expensive for the value provided and judging by the amount of negative feedback they receive in this forum, are rarely very successful or well received.
    ...See More

Help with curb appeal

Q

Comments (4)
    What is the budget ? What are you ( or he) open to change? For starters, it looks like decluttering & re-landscaping is needed. Is the first pic how it looks now? Better pictures from other angles would help.
    ...See More

Help with Curb Appeal

Q

Comments (3)
    Maybe a different trim color and front door color? Yes to potted plants. Possibly two large ones, between the windows, with a trellis and tropical vine. Or next to porch column. Nice (but easy care) landscaping on the left side. Create a bed with plants, a bench, etc. Plant things that will screen the side street. A screen of some sort to hide the trash containers.
    ...See More

Help! Need curb appeal update!

Q

Comments (4)
    Yeah, that yellow is a misfit with your home. And I also agree with changing the color of the shakes in the gable, or maybe even removing the shakes to put siding there. (It is typically advised to have no more than 2 different types of surface on a home, and those shingles make 3 for you. That we can see, anyway.) The brick looks good. I’d pick a soft cream color for the siding but make sure it isn’t yellowish.
    ...See More
  • Home4Here
    6 years ago
    How about white shutters for the windows? It might dress it up and help to break the expanse of of brick between the two windows. I love the artist concept of the landscaping too btw. Good work Doug!
  • emmarene9
    6 years ago

I am not a pro as you can see. I am just a person with an interest in landscaping but I am also a fan on good architecture. I think your house is too classic and lovely to be hidden by shrubbery. I suggest removing the hedge and replacing it with lower growing plants. Maybe an ornamental dwarf cherry in the middle between the windows.

A fountain, birdbath or statue would be nice there too.

I don't think you need to pave the driveway.

If the walk needs replaced then I agree that a different material such as shown by Doug would look nice.

Windows as wide as yours are not meant to have shutters.

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    6 years ago

I agree with emmarene - remove the hedge. And no shutters.

You asked about painting the fence - you mean the reddish fence on the left? Absolutely! The red-orange clashes with your house. There's no reason to call attention to the fence, is there? Because that's what the current bold color does.

I don't quite know how to describe the first impression I get from looking at your driveway/sidewalk. I'm not liking the undefined edges of the driveway. Perhaps if you paved it, it would be more in keeping with the style of your house. More formal. I'd like a bit of greenery/color right at the corner of the steps where it meets the driveway, but not too much because people tend to take the shortest distance between two points and you don't want to plant things in the way.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    6 years ago

Damn! An existing walkway that is NOT too narrow! It is a rare find -- extinct almost -- that we hardly ever see. So lucky is this homeowner!!!

One of the beauties of the small yard is how much farther you can go for the same cash.

Paving the drive would definitely improve the overall property appearance, as it is the one major feature that looks raw, as in "under construction." I've lived with a gravel driveway for a while & grew to hate it (though not as bad as having no driveway at all!) Bits of sand and small stones were always being tracked into the house. Given the lack of room overall, I would not create a landscape planting strip between the walk and drive but run them concurrently. Instead of plants, a decorative edge to the drive (contrasting color/material) would do a nice job of distinctifying it from the walk, adding interest and an upgraded look in general. Everyone does a concrete drive as it is the default (for good reason) but this is going to sing a brighter song if the material is upgraded to something classier. Pavers would work well. We don't know what's going on with the grade, but that would definitely need to be considered. When doing a front walk, I always look to see if a bottom step can be eliminated. You might be able to kill two or three birds with one stone by raising the walk and doing less excavation for the drive (depending on what you pave it with, and get fewer steps for yourself and guests to walk up. I notice the walk, though it is beautifully wide, has some issues. If you did a paver drive, you could span over the walk, too, and dress up the whole shebang. With all new surface, you would not need to divide walk and drive.

The fence is overkill on the color.

If you make changes to walk/drive, don't bother worrying about planting specifics until the hardscape work is "set in stone." But the planting needs a redo. The engulfing, homely hedge needs to go. I prefer shrubs that are coordinated to windows in the same way that stoop and steps are coordinated to entrance doors. That leaves room for large patches of perennials and annuals (near the entrance area). We don't see a broad enough picture to know if you need a small tree somewhere.

• PRO
    CB Conlin Landscapes Inc.
    6 years ago

I like the direction Doug is heading here. The walk and drive should be separate as they serve different functions within a residential landscape. A driveway, paver or not, is utility. A front walk can be a beautiful extension of the home if done properly. I’d separate the drive and walk with a hedgerow of the same evergreens or flowering shrubs. It’s not long or wide enough to mix plants and a consistent hedge will make the gap look purposed. Pick a paver/clay brick for the front walk that complements the home. Doug’s idea to leave a connecting path from the drive to the walk is a good one, although I’d push it as far towards the home as possible to try to hide it a bit from street view. If you want to visually tie the drive and walk together in some capacity, I like the idea of bordering both sides of the asphalt/concrete in 1-2 rows of the front walkway brick to dress the drive up and tone down the visual of the concrete/asphalt field. A consistent groundcover with tastefully-placed evergreens, flowering shrubs and a perennial mass or two would be perfect. Make those two entry urns shine with some beautiful annuals. A small tree off the right corner of the home is cliche, but used on nearly every designed front landscape because it (almost) always plays. Beautiful home, good luck on your project!

• Denita
    6 years ago

I agree that your walkway is nice and wide, just like it should be and is so rarely seen today.

Have you considered a permeable type driveway? It will elevate the current unpaved driveway but still give you the advantage of the water passing through the driveway to the ground below without pooling. Something like the below pic. It would serve the purpose of visually separating the driveway and the walkway plus give you all the advantages of a 'green driveway'.

Modern Landscape · More Info

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    6 years ago

"The walk and drive should be separate as they serve different functions within a residential landscape. A driveway, paver or not, is utility." The burden of proof would be on the claimant, but to my thinking this is absurd on two counts. There've got to be a gazillion actual examples of where the drive and walk happily mix and mingle. And on account of ever-tightening space, the trend is in this direction. They are both PATHS to the house (as is usually the lawn.) One serves pedestrians and one serves vehicles so they sometimes separate, but is there is nothing that would dictate this as a necessity. What does it mean that a driveway is "utility" ...? That it can't or shouldn't be just as attractive as a walk, which also happens to serve a utilitarian function ...? A hedgerow of plants separating the walk and drive will have a negative result, making both paths seem even narrower.

• Ali Channell
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Yardvaark, I LOVE LOVE LOVE your idea about combining the walkway and driveway with pavers. I’ve actually been parking my car on the pathway anyway since our driveway is narrow and if someone parks in the detached garage behind the house they can’t get back down the driveway if a car is parked there.

What color would you guys paint the fence?
  • Ali Channell
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Here are a few more pics of my house exterior so you can see the small yard so you know what I’m having to work with...
  • Ali Channell
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Of the two driveways ( I think I’m going to go with what yardark (sp?) said and combine the driveway and pathway) which do you think will look better?
  • PRO
    Dig Doug's Designs
    6 years ago

A different approach, but I can not tell from the pics if there is enough room.

• PRO
    Kitchen Tune-up Zeeland, Sales & Design
    6 years ago
    cute house! I would paint the fence a earthy green. as for the driveway, since the house is already brick I think the drive should be concrete (rather than asphalt) with brick border.
  • PRO
    6 years ago

The home, in EVERY instance, should be the main focal point. Landscape in general is intended to compliment the home, not overpower it. A driveway can be used an an aesthetic upgrade in certain instances, and we design and install many of them for that reason specifically. If you were to nix the straight walk to the public sidewalk and instead allow for access from the drive only, I could see incorporating the same pavers for both. In this particular instance, I would not go that route. I would do a full brick apron field from street to public walk, then transition to the asphalt/brick combo for the remaining run (perhaps transitioning back to a full paver field once you’ve neared the garage and are in view of the rear entertaining area). Keep the walk as is, but brick it. I still like the hedgerow separator because 1) it’ll be aesthetically pleasing and 2) its unique. As I stated previously, a driveway is utility. If passers-by are staring at your driveway and not your home, there’s a problem in the design. You can’t look at photos that show only a driveway and expect pavers to lose an aesthetic contest. It’ll never happen. The correct visual balance between home, walk, driveway and softscape is what will make this a successful project. Good luck on whatever route you choose!

• Ali Channell
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    CB Colin,
    what is a full brick apron field? Can you show me pictures or examples of what you are talking about? Trying to get a visual :)
  • PRO
    6 years ago

No problem, see google images below. The first and last images are showing raised brick curbing as the outer border, but can be swapped for a soldier course or 2-course running bond if preferred. 4-6” curbing adds a pretty interesting vertical element if the grade allows it!

• Ali Channell
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Looks great CB Conlin!!!!
  • PRO
    6 years ago

No problem John. Landscape is subjective. Yardvaark and I may disagree on this particular project but we agree on many others. Using (or hiring a pro who uses) software like @DigDoug's is a great way to get a feel for how the entire completed space will look prior to making a huge installation investment. There is not a 'wrong' answer presented in any of the above comments. Whatever route feels correct for you (and those who will be using the space) is the right answer!