SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
julie_talarico

COLOR QUANDARY! Stressing out about Updating Exterior

Julie Talarico
6 years ago
Our house will be painted in about 5 weeks... I’d originally been leaning towards having it white-washed (can’t find anyone here that knows how to limewash), but then had second thoughts about painting brick...

It needs updating, as I feel it currently looks very drab with the vanilla cream colored trim which matches the mortar. We’ve just met with a landscape architect who has drawn up a fabulous plan, and we’ve just removed all the overgrown shrubs in front of the windows... I hurts me to remove the beautiful Japanese maple in front of the dining room window, but it is the exact same color as the brick (when leafed out) and blocks the house from the street, and view from the inside. It is for this reason I am considering painting again, so that we can leave the tree in place to provide contrast against the exterior.

The 3 options I see are:
1. Leave the brick as-is and paint the trim SW Urbane Bronze (and window trim Tricorn Black). (See pics) I think this trim color would be a big improvement over the vanilla, but tree will need to go as it disappears into house.
2. White-wash brick and paint trim a softer gray or gray-green.
3. Paint all brick an Iron Grey with white trim. Tree will pop against house, and house will pop too! This would be the most dramatic, but could be beautiful too!

I’m only going to get one opportunity to make this change, and am FREAKING out now, as this is weighing heavily on me! Lol

I see so many unique ideas and thoughtful responses, I would love to get your thoughts on my design dilemma!

Comments (12)