SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kery12000

How can I seal a metal part of a rain gutter to a brick wall

6 years ago

Hi All,

I was in the attic and I noticed drops of water dripping along the brick wall. I pulled aside a few of the roof tiles to see what was going on and I saw that the metal rain gutter, though bolted to the brick wall, wasn't sealed. Because of this some water was just going behind the metal and dripping right onto the attic floor. The rain is definitely doing this because there are gaps all along where this metal is, some significant ones, too, and I could see light here and there on the attic floor coming from these gaps.

This wall is part of a decorative edifice. The metal next to the wall does connect to traditional pipe-like rain gutters about two metres away on both sides of the picture I am including.
I am a novice at working with houses. I would like a recommendation for a good, but hopefully not too expensive sealant. It would be a plus if the stuff isn't toxic. The garden is right below, and we are planning on having a child, so it would be great if the little bits and pieces that I would imagine might flake off or erode over time wouldn't be flowing right into the garden with the rain runoff going into the rain gutter. Some places I would like to apply some sealant are where the wooden support structure of the rain gutter have gaps between the wall and the wood. I think some water is coming through here too.

For the door of this renovated house the workers used some kind of sealant. It's not very attractive, but I imagine that this sealant is to keep cold air and rain out. I include a picture of the metal near the brick wall and a picture of the door with its sealant. Probably a sealant for a metal rain gutter next to a brick wall is something quite different from what is used for a door, but the door picture just illustrates what looks like a good seal.

Thanks for your help.

kery12000

Comments (9)