SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
catherinet11

Zucchini and squash bugs

catherinet
6 years ago

I stopped planting zucchini a couple years ago. I guess we don't like it enough to deal with those wretched squash bugs that also end up all over my Waltham butternut squash.

For the following years, I grew the butternut squash up a trellis, and had no squash bugs at all. I couldn't know if it was because I quit growing the zucchini, or squash bugs don't like climbing plants........?? Anyhow.....I have discovered "spiralizing" zucchini.......sauteing it in a little olive oil with salt, pepper, garlic powder and it's delicious. So I want to start growing zucchini again. I have mostly raised stocktanks for my garden and I was thinking of moving one of the smaller ones to our field and growing the zucchini away from the garden. If it was at least 200-300' away from the garden.......would the squash bugs leave my butternut squash alone? I know this is a pretty impossible question to answer, but I thought I'd give it a try. Not sure why the spiralized zucchini is so much better than sliced, but it is. Maybe it's a little less soggy.

And maybe it was all coincidental that I haven't had any squash bugs since I quit growing the zucchini in the garden..........

Alas.........life can be so confusing. hahaha

Comments (16)