SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rifisnj

A first: kordes.us has rated this rose its MOST disease resistant

rifis (zone 6b-7a NJ)
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Some preliminaries are in order.

Kordes-rosen.com assigns ratings of 1 thru 4 stars for mildew resistance, and for blackspot resistance. Newflora maintained the same format.

Now, Star's kordes.us combines Mildew and BS into a single "disease resistance" rating, and substitutes "excellent", "very good", and "good" for "4, 3, and 2 stars". No modern Kordes rose actively marketed by them warrants "1 star" or the equivalent term.

Some roses have had their disease resistance rating fall at the new site. For instance, Cream Veranda's rating has fallen to "very good"; it received 4 /4 stars (mildew/bs) at Newflora. In my garden last year, it was a spotless superstar w/o any antifungal intervention. In fact, it received late day overhead watering often. And Jolie Veranda's rating has fallen from 3/3 stars at Newflora down to "good" at kordes.us.

kordes.us has assigned one Kordes rose a disease resistance rating never before awarded by the world of Kordes (as best as I can determine; kindly correct me if I am wrong). The disease resistance rating is exceptional, (which, reason dictates, is equivalent to "5 stars") and the recipient is Fire Opal . https://www.kordes.us/plants/fire-opal-kolorscape

Congratulations, Fire Opal!

I did not do an exhaustive review of the new site. And I should mention that I saw one other rose whose disease resistance was described as "exceptional" in the body of the its blurb. Though its stated disease resistance rating remained "excellent".

I was sad upon reading of the Ball/Star takeover. Kordes here had been in good hands. And I worried that nurseries/growers then in the pipeline might suffer or be squeezed. Now I'm wondering: is some website developer just having some fun?

Comments (17)