SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kickycar1

Stumped on Decorating

kickycar1
6 years ago

Dear Houzz Readers,

I'm stumped on decorating the bedroom I share with my husband. I'm not a decorating sort, but I want to give it a try. Some of these may be stupid questions but please be kind!

Okay, here goes. We have Juniper Berry Sage walls from Glidden and slate blue bedding. The only request my husband has made is that the green wall color stays. I cannot figure out how to tie these two colors together or what patterns would work well. I've read about using sage green as a neutral, but does that mean I shouldn't try to match anything to it?

We have a farm in an area with both rolling hills and prairie. I'm really trying to make our bedroom reflect our unique location. We're aiming for a "minimalist American heartland" look, which is inspired by our lamp choices. Anything white is out of the question and we are not fans of the show Fixer Upper. That look is pretty (and popular, holy cow!), but horribly impractical for our lifestyle. I'm also trying to avoid a look that is overly feminine. We are also on a tight budget as we are in the process of building a house. I have tried gray as an accent color and we found the look to be too cold. Does anyone think blue ticking might work or is it too French farmhouse? My husband wears shirts similar to blue ticking while working on the farm and I'd love to incorporate that pattern. I don't have confidence in my decision to do this though as the ticking would not tie the walls and bedding color together. (Does such a thing even matter?) I have an idea for art, but I don't know the rules about posting the work of artists. It has both blue and greens in it with a little bit of barn red.

I have included my mood board, but it feels like I'm missing something. I keep questioning my vision. Is a quilt enough pattern? What would work for curtains? How about throw pillows? Do I use the barn red in the planned artwork as an accent color? Will the color palette I have included even work in a bedroom or is it too busy? Will the green and red remind us too much of Christmas? Should I scrap everything and start over? (This thought distresses me.) I don't know what to do at all and it is really bumming me out. I don't even know if the look we're aiming for is possible as I have yet to find an example that I really love. Thank you to anyone who is able to help! You're a lifesaver. (I apologize if I used any images owned by anyone as these have all been pulled from Pinterest and Google searches)

Comments (13)