SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_41694008

Sherwin Williams vs Benjamin Moore Interior Paint

User
6 years ago

Hello!

We are trying to decide between SW Cashmere or BM Regal Select. We are painting our entire open concept floor plan and prefer matte finishes, We have researched and read a bit online, but would like some personal opinions from experienced users. Any thoughts? Should we consider SW Emerald as well? Thank you!

Comments (30)

• P Banos
    6 years ago

We have switched to only Benjamin Moore. Also very very important is wall preparation. If you are doing the work take extra time. If you hire painters, inspect before the paint goes on. Look for rough spots, nail pops, uneven areas etc. with a bright spotlight. It's worth paying extra for great prep.

• User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

@LoriA.Sawaya thank you! Even with 30% off SW? We are leaning that way because we like the color selection better.

• jackiemom22
    6 years ago

I currently have BM Aura Matte and while a good paint, I have not been happy with the durability. It does not touch up well and marks if I try to clean it (I have kids). I’m in the process of changing to BM Regal Select Eggshell.

• imhofan
    6 years ago

Agree on the BM Aura product--would avoid. BM Regal Select is a great finish---at a price. Do not try to match a color you like in another manufacturers base----never the same. I would definitely invest in the best quality paint you can--- you are painting a large area and the investment is primarily in time/labor vs product.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    6 years ago

@LoriA.Sawaya thank you! Even with 30% off SW? We are leaning that way because we like the color selection better.

Yeah. Do the math, the price per square is a matter of cents, not dollars.

You're doing your entire house.

You need to invest in QUARTS. Go buy the grade, sheen and color you intend to use in different brands. Paint sample boards and compare.

The bulk of the cost of a paint job is the labor. The price of the paint is small potatoes in the grand scheme. #perspective

• PRO
    User
    6 years ago

I like sw emerald better than any of the products mentioned above.

• User
    6 years ago
    Maybe we are just cheap, but we did our whole house in SW super paint with pro classic for the trim and it looks great, cleans easily, and holds up fine with kids/pets.
  • PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

SW's Super Paint is a great value for what you get in the can and the price point. Fine for interior, not super crazy about it exterior. With that said, and again, the bulk of the cost is in the labor and I prefer top tier paint. #elitistpaintsnob

• gracie01 zone5 SW of Chicago
    6 years ago

I've used SW Emerald, Cashmere, and Duration. I did Emerald satin in my kitchen and I have washed it with good results. Last time I went in to get more Emerald (for a dining room) they suggested that Cashmere would be just as good for less money. It covered very well but I can't speak about washability yet. Duration seemed to be a little thinner. Are you totally confused now?

• paintguy22
    6 years ago

Generally speaking, Benjamin Moore paints are just more durable than Sherwin Williams paints. Also, matte paints are not as durable as eggshell paints. You need the sheen to get it clean. Hey I just made that up. If you are sure you want a matte paint, then Aura Matte is the way to go. I'm sorry it's expensive. If you are fine with having a slight sheen on your walls, then Cashmere low luster or Benjamin Moore Regal Select eggshell will do just fine. Benjamin Moore is a bit more expensive but like I said it's also a bit more durable.

• PRO
    User
    6 years ago

Fine paints of Europe has a flat that is very washable. It is a little more pricey than the others but well worth the investment.

• User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you very much, everyone! We are not concerned about washability - it's just the two of us, no children, no dogs... We definitely prefer a matte finish - no eggshell or sheen on the wall of any kind is our preferred look. We're not worried about cost to the extent that we are pinching pennies about it, we just want the best looking finish that will hold up the longest with the least amount of labor. But that's probably what everyone wants! Hahaha

• PRO
    User
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

It is available at Paint Pallette in Richmond Va and Eastway Paints in Charlotte NC.

• lawsonch19
    6 years ago

I always use SW and have been very happy with it. If you love their colors, I think you're safe to go for it!

• tatts
    6 years ago

In reality, all major paint companies make quality products, and they are all better than even the best paints of even a few years ago.

Read Consumer Reports' review of paints for the plusses and minuses of each.

• Lyndee Lee
    6 years ago
    If you worry as much about wall prep as you do about the paint brand, the results will be great. If you are hiring a professional painter, I would defer to his brand preference. All the big paint companies have good products at the top of their lines and part of my choice is the paint store. There are many aspects of getting a good result for the price and the technical expertise and services provided by the real paint store is important to me. I suggest visiting your local paint store, probably midmorning or mid afternoon, and asking questions about their products.
  • PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    6 years ago

quote"Fine paints of Europe has a flat that is very washable. It is a little more pricey" A little? at almost $100 a gallon, I would say more than a little. Also in my experience with it you will need 3 full coats to cover well. No thanks.

• cherylwallace
    6 years ago

Here's what I can add. We have a huge open, 2-story space with a wall of windows on river side. Our colors were chosen from Sherman Williams, but the painter would only use Ben Moore! So we color matched them at Ben Moore, and our touch ups, 10 yrs later, were an exact blend of old into new touch ups! That's the reason we were told by the painter. Hope this helps.

• PRO
    User
    6 years ago

@lee you have the right approach. We have great prep people that paint and hang paper. The one most important tool is sand paper followed by a good dust collector.

@nelson we use Fine Paints on a regular basis and have not your problem.

Cabinets painted with Fine Paints flat.

• paintguy22
    6 years ago

minimomy, the Cashmere low luster is actually like an eggshell. They have a Cashmere flat, which is their version of a washable matte and it's really not washable at all.

• smurfette36
    6 years ago

I've used SW Cashmere throughout my house and I really like it. It's easy to work with and it has a nice feel when you touch the walls (as opposed to the chalky feel of builder grade paints).

• PRO
    User
    6 years ago

I am surprised that no one has mentioned Farrow and Ball.

• Jessica Jessica
    5 years ago

Concerning the Fine Paints of Europe. DO NOT USE !! My painter suggested this for its excellent results. Well, the paint completely failed. It cracked, peeled, faded in less than one year of use. The local paint store refunded me, and many other customers, the cost of the paint and plus additional amounts for labor.

FWIW: the paint store closed down & filed for bankruptcy about 5 months ago.

• PRO
    User
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

We have excellent results using Fine Paints of Europe. This amount of failure is more than likely prep and priming issues. Which product did they use.

• Luisa E
    5 years ago

The cashmere is not matte. if you have problem walls stay away from Cashmere. There is a slight sheen to it.

• Erin
    5 years ago

jenbernard what sheen did you use for your whole house in the Superpaint?

• Luisa E
    5 years ago

Just saw this. I used their best flat paint. Cashmere is a good paint BUT it accentuates flaws. I am a Harvey victim whose texture does not match the top part of wall and you can see it more. Cashmere has a slight sheen to it. I havent started painting yet...still working on the texture.

• Kay Addis
    5 years ago

I personally prefer BM’s best paints, but our professional painters all have used SW cashmere, and I think Home Depot’s Behr paints rank highly in Consumer Reports’ listings. I think you’ll be OK as long as your use one of the brands’ better quality paints. Also more expensive, yes...

• sai_r_krishna
    3 years ago

Regarding wash-ability, I'm unable to remove the rubber/black stain mark when kids moved their furniture and rubbed the walls. I have to redo/touch up my SW Emerald which otherwise worked good for me so far. I am also considering other rooms, and debating should I switch brands and check out BM Regal Select. Please provide me inputs.