SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ken_pichulo

Judge Judy was Wrong

KennsWoods
6 years ago

Watched an episode of 'Judge Judy' that had to do with tree damage. I know, I need to get a life. Anyway, a tree from a neighboring property had been toppled in a storm damaging the fence and gazebo owned by adjacent property owner, who sued for damages. Owner of tree countered with the fact that he had suffered damage to his property by a tree owned by his neighbor that came down in a storm, and was told by his lawyer that because the tree was healthy and posed no known risk, other than being a tree, it was an 'act of God', and he would be liable for any costs incurred. The incident took place in CA.

No one involved declared the tree dead, dying, or dangerous. A picture showed what looked to be a eucalyptus, all green and leafy. Judge Judy ruled the owner of the fallen tree liable for damages. A VERY quick Googling showed Judy to be wrong. California 'tree law' allows that otherwise healthy trees that cause damage due to 'acts of God' are not the financial responsibility of the owner of the tree.

I know that reality shows are for entertainment, but much is said on these court type shows of the expertise and previous experience of the judges involved. I only post this because this has been discussed here in the past, and being about trees piqued my interest. California being California, I though maybe tree laws were different there than every where else LOL.

Comments (9)