SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ilovemytrees

Safe to plant conifers this spring with neighbor construction going on

ilovemytrees
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hi! I'm planting or rather I was planning on planting some columnar conifer trees this spring. My very first conifers, ever. The thing is though that I got a text about 2 hours ago telling me that a new driveway is going to be put in, on the property that abuts mine.

****For those of you not interested in the Xmas tree guy and his parents saga that has been going on for 2 years now, please just skip past what I'm about to write. ****

So, I got a text telling me that the parents of the xmas tree guy are putting in a huge driveway in the empty property that abuts mine, that they own. Their son owns property that abuts this empty land on the other side. He also owns some land with a really nice campground where people come from Canada and Buffalo to our little corner of the world and spend their entire summers here. Every May huge RV's come down our rural road and pull in to the son's camp ground. Anyway, the son bought the property a couple years ago, outbidding his dad for it, and now the dad is finally exacting his revenge. He is installing a driveway, and it's going to go all the way to the lake, cutting through all of the son's xmas trees. Hundreds (thousands?) of them are going to be cut down and destroyed to make the driveway. It's going to be at least a thousand feet long, if not more. It's literally going right through land planted with nothing but beautiful, healthy xmas trees. They are doing this to provide FREE access to the lake for our community, and the local conservation club, that the son had the temerity to start charging lake access fees.

Basically, the parents are going to be making the son's access driveway obsolete, taking away all the access fees that the son was charging to anyone who wanted access to the lake. The plan is to basically make the son go broke. The father owns millions of dollars of heavy equipment and has the time and motive to do it, and it's all going happen next to my property, very soon.. Apparently they have already put huge stakes out there with pink ribbons to denote the property lines and they have officially notified the son.

There's going to be massive excavators and backhoes and dump trucks all around making this gravel driveway. I'm not happy that a driveway is going to be up against my backyard, but I have no say what someone else does with their land. Now, more than ever I want conifers to give us privacy.

Would you plant trees this year, if you were me? How widespread are the roots of skinny conifers? I'm concerned about major soil compaction going on next to my yard. I might have to plant these further into my yard than what I initially planned....

Comments (20)