SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scott_updike27

William Poole's Appomattox design; anyone built this?

I saw the two great threads on another one of his designs where commenters discussed issues with building based on those plans and how they modified it. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this design.

http://www.williampoole.com/plans/Appomattox

My wife and I own a small farm (70 acres) on a bluff overlooking a river and views of the Blue Ridge Mountains. Our desires:

1. a house that looks like it could have been built in the 1700 or 1800's so that the house looks like it belongs there.

2. A house that is wider than deep to increase the views out of the back towards the mountains and allow more natural light.

3. A house that will allow my wife and I to live on the first floor and cut off HVAC to the upstairs after out kids move out.

4.A house with a large mudroom with a separate entrance (for real mud and manure).

5. A house with a full bath attached to the mudroom.

6. A large laundry room

7. A total of at least 3 bedrooms, with the master on the first floor.

Cons about this plan:

1. While there is space, no bathroom attatched to mudroom

2. We had a dining room in our old home and never used it. We do not want one.

Any others?

We are in the process of looking through designs to get ideas of what we like and also interviewing architects. Though our budget does not have much extra and the ones we have spoken with so far are out of our price range.

Comments (12)