SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
snowexplosion43

How does one choose and hire a designer?

6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I want to remodel the common areas of my condo in the Denver area. I like watching the Houzz and also HGTV shows where they redesign a home and I appreciate the insights and expertise of good designers. What I have never seen is how they were chosen, what they cost or how a first consultation went, I.e., one hour free, $200, etc. Many of the things I see online are high end homes and people with probably large budgets. I would like to find someone who could look at the things I like, give them a general idea and give them a large hand in helping me design and then contract the work out. So, if I show them a floor to ceiling tile around a fireplace they can say tell me it would be $2.5k to $4k depending on what tile and another $500 or so to take out the current mantle. Then we could discuss a complementary distressed wood wall versus brick next to it, etc. The consultation could include the knowledge that I cannot do what I want in my budget or only about half of it. I am good with all that. I also don't care to take time to go through interviews with a half dozen designers, probably three at most and the first one if we "click" and the money works. I would like a designer if not too pricey because I want to coordinate several things all the way to the outdoors versus hiring a backsplash guy, a drapes gal and a separate tile and carpentry dude. I like one-stop shopping and appreciate empathy and expertise.

Comments (4)