SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beachgal5

Advice/thoughts on exterior of new home

beachgal5
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

What you see below are two color schemes for our new NW beach house. The body of the house is board and batten, the roof Malarky Laminated Shingles (no color chosen yet); windows are Milgard Ultra (black bean or bark exterior and interior colors), the body of the house color is proposed to be in the brown tan range and the area where the tall triple window with triple awnings are located is a staircase that projects out from the house (proposed to be covered in 7/8" corrugated steel by BridgerSteel, applied vertically). The color swatches in the pictures below represent, from left to right, the window frame color, the body of the house color, and the corrugated steel color. There is no appreciable trim around the windows other than a very narrow piece of wood that needs to be used because of the board and battens. Also, my husband is leaning toward brown shingles and I lean toward a blackish color. The roof will not be as noticeable as it is in the drawings below because the house is elevated about 4.5' above the ground due to area building codes, and is about 6' higher than the road. And lastly, just a "style note"--the window next to the front door has been changed to one that does not go all of the way to the floor level and is narrower than is drawn on the plan.

You will notice that the 2 color combinations represent an "eye popper" color for the staircase and a tone on tone color scheme. I am torn between the two. We are staying away from the traditional grey colors that you often see in beach houses as we feel they are pretty cold looking and we, being from the rainy, grey northwest are aiming for some visual warmth in our color selections.

Thank you for your comments and suggestions!

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH