SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
szara_loring

Kitchen layout questions

Szara Loring
6 years ago

My husband and I are working on a design for updating our kitchen. The space has good bones, but the cabinets are the original builder grade cabs from 1987 and are falling apart. We plan to tear down to the studs, put in can lighting, add ventilation, add a second sink etc. Below is an initial draft of the cabinet layout. This view shows base cabinets, but the uppers would follow the bases. The layout is based on using IKEA cabinet sizes, but we are going to price IKEA, Scherrs and a local cabinet builder.

We have 8 foot ceilings and I want the cabinets to go to the ceiling without a soffit. Uppers would be 39" tall x 12" deep except for over the prep sink and stove where they would be 20" tall. Base cabinets will be drawers where ever possible.

Some specific questions the hubs has are as follows:

• How to fill the gaps (1", 0.63") on either side of the main sink on the west wall?
  • What is the best way to end the island and incorporate a 24" perlick undercounter freezer?

General feedback is appreciated. I cook 2-3 meals a day and I want the space to be fully functional and yet look nice. We played with the layout to have two workspaces - the main prep and cooking zone and a secondary prep zone for washing up, making drinks, dealing with the dishwasher, etc.

The kitchenette (where we have indicated a counter height table with four chairs) opens to a sun room through double glass doors and then the south side opens to the living room and dining room. Living room is a step down to the south east.

I can post additional information on the house layout. Let me know what would be helpful to have.

Comments (8)