SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beachem

Week 172 - What kitchen design do you dislike? Why

beachem
6 years ago

There's quite a few popular designs that I dislike upon further investigation such as those 3" spice pullout either above or below a counter. They seem so cool but try and read the spice bottles while you are 6" off the ground or climbing a ladder to see them, it's not so functional after all.

My least favorite however has to be the batwing island. I lived with this design for 18 years and cursing it every day. you really have no counter space to work with. Your sink only allows one person to be there. Water splashes over anyone trying to talk to you from the other side. You have to shift completely to the other side of the kitchen to open the door to either side of the batwing cabinets.

The wings block anyone from entering the work zone especially if your refrigerator is at one end and your pantry is at the other. The side of the wing also block the rangetop as well in a typical layout.

What kitchen design have you experienced or seen that you dislike intensely and why? Save the rest of us from making those mistakes.

Comments (139)