SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carriebor

Bedroom Lighting

Carrie B
6 years ago

This is a continuation of an older, long post about [curtains. [(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/which-curtains-or-neither-dsvw-vd~5068506?n=101)The wonderful folks here worked tirelessly to save me from myself... errr, I mean, to help me see how to optimize the window treatments in my bedroom.

I like the lamp I have on "my" side of the bed, but plan to switch the white shade for one that doesn't draw so much attention to itself - off white or tan or beige.

I *think* I want a lamp on both nightstands for aesthetics. I live alone, I don't really *need* a lamp on the far nightstand for practical purposes. (I sometimes have relationships that include a partner spending the night, but, in my experience, the lamp (that used to be) on that side rarely got turned on.)

I've attached several photos - while I included a head-on photo of the bed to give you a sense of the
space, that view is almost irrelevant - the only time I'd stand at the end of the bed looking toward that wall is to take a photo.

I don't like things to match. I have a lot of old things, but I don't mind mixing it up & being eclectic. I don't want my room to look totally antique-y.

Here are the photos:

(the view that matters least)

Some lighting ideas I've considered: an arched floor lamp, Mid-century table lamp (maybe with a black finish) or maybe a more contemporary reading lamp. I'm open to suggestions. I've already bought and returned two lamps... (photos on the other thread.)

Comments (40)

• amykath
    6 years ago

Do you like the shape of the shade? Do you want something about the same size?

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    6 years ago

aktillery9 - I do like the shape of the shade. I don't know if I want something the same size... An arched floor lamp (if I go that way) would, obviously, be larger overall, if I go that way. Here's an example of one I like:

What are your thoughts?

• Related Discussions

Bedroom lighting

Q

Comments (2)
    Are you planning to swag a ceiling light or do you have an electrical box there to install an overhead light? You bedside tables are too small/low. You lamps are too low because of that. If you were sitting in bed reading your lighting would be below you. Once you get that handled I would do 2-3 square art pieces of something you like above the bed .
    ...See More

What is more pleasant for a bedroom light? Recessed or one fixture?

Q

Comments (6)
    I have both recessed and a table lamp. when I need a lot of light (packing, cleaning, etc) I used the recessed. And btw, 4- 6" cans are plenty for a bedroom. (unless your room is huge) 6 cans would be too much. You can see two of them here in my room when we were remodeling. they are 6" can's, LED's. BTW, Costco has the Retro-fit canned lights for super cheap. maybe 4 of them for 30 bucks? all you need to buy are the light bulbs. So cost for the actual cans are nothing. ask the electrician the price for four retro fit, and you'll supply them. (if you can get them at Costco) then do a bedside lamp on a nightstand. if you want to do one center light, a flush mount, you can do that too, and still have a table lamp just get a center flush mount light w/more than 2 bulbs.
    ...See More

Bedroom Lighting Issue

Q

Comments (0)
    Hello all ! I have moved to a new apartment where i have these huge windows and they get great light. They look very nice during the day. But at night, my room looks very dull ! I have a single ceiling yellow light. Would adding more light or changing the color of the light help ? Adding pictures.
    ...See More

cabin bedroom lighting

Q

Comments (19)
    Option to plug it in or hardwire it in place—1stremove cord from plug; cut the cord; pull cord out through the canopy; and connect the wiring / consult electrician. W 5.9" / D 10.5" / H 14.4"
    ...See More
  • amykath
    6 years ago

I really like the arched floor lamp but think the side lamp is better. I would go with a more cream/natural color for your shade. I assume you want to keep the lamp base itself?

I personally like having a lamp on each side of the bed for balance.

I usually go to Ross or Home Goods and sometimes Target or Lowes to find a lamp I like. I am always amazed at what I can find at Ross. Do you have one nearby your home?

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    6 years ago

aktillery - I like the existing lamp and plan to keep it, unless the overwhelming majority of others think it just doesn't work. And, yeah, switch the shade for a more neutral color.

I had to laugh at your shopping suggestions. Here's my recent lamp shopping stops:

-Lowes

-Home Depot (2x)

WalMart

-Ross (2 separate stores, multiple visits)

-Home Goods (2 separate stores, multiple visits) (that's where I bought my existing lamp)

-Marshall's

-Target (multiple visits.)

The two lamps I bought & returned were from Wayfair & Amazon, purchased Online.

• amykath
    6 years ago

Sounds like great minds think alike! Do you have a kirklands near you? They have some great lamps for great prices.

kirklands.com

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks, aktillery. I'll check that out. Mostly, right now, I've got plenty of places to shop. I'd love suggestions on type of lamp & style that might work well there.

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks, aktillery!

I'll be fine picking out a shade, I think. Help picking out a lamp for the other side is my big challenge, right now. That lamp is on the right general track. Thanks!

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    6 years ago

(pretty - who is the vendor? Link is to lamp in previous post)

• User
    6 years ago

I would try your lamp on the smaller table because it has a narrow base and I'd get more of a jar or pot shaped ceramic lamp for the larger table. Those shapes with the visual weight at the bottom ground it to the table better.

Carrie B thanked User
  • Carrie B
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Mayflowers - here it is on the other side. It's a somewhat tall lamp (30") so I put it on the shorter table thinking that the other lamp might be shorter, on the taller table. Do you think the lamps should reach about the same height?

So, I went to a thrift shop and a fancier vintage shop in the neighborhood this morning just to look at lamps. The thrift lamps are $10-$30 each, and the vintage are $75-$165. I can afford a more expensive lamp, but... was initially thinking I'd pay $50-$100. If a lamp is PERFECT I'd pay more... Do any of these look like a really great fit? (numbered/lettered for reference)

Thrift:

Vintage:

a.

b.

c.

d.

• katinparadise
    6 years ago

Hi Carrie. What's the total height to the top of the lamp from the floor with the existing lamp on the dry sink? And what's the height of the nightstand on the other side?

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Katinparadise - total height, 57" (27" ds, 30" lamp.) Other table: 30".

I've spent literally hours on Etsy today looking at lamps. One moment I want antique, the next moment I love something industrial/steampunk, then I fall in love with some MCM and then something contemporary. I might need a break from lamp shopping...

• User
    6 years ago

Most of those lamps look like living room lamps to me. A bedroom lamp is shorter because you're reclining instead of sitting. I would try to keep the height at about the top bar on the headboard so it looks like it's a bedroom lamp. What is the height from the table to the bar?

• katinparadise
    6 years ago

Sounds like you might need a break Carrie. I know I get obsessive when I start looking for something as well. I like too many styles!

Carrie B thanked katinparadise
  • k9arlene
    6 years ago

• voila
    6 years ago

You might try buying a lamp 3 inches shorter than the existing lamp, and buy matching shades. The lamps don't have to perfectly match, but should be similar, and reach the same height at the top of the shades. If you go with very dissimilar lamps and shades I am afraid it will never look pleasing to you. You want it to look well thought out, not like a consignment shop showroom, although I would certainly shop at the thrift stores. How tall was the silver lamp in the first thrift store picture? Good luck, it is a very nice room.

• tatts
    6 years ago

By your own admission, you're basically the only person who's going to see it. Why do you need the approval of strangers on the internet for something as insignificant as this? Just bored and lonely?

• aprilneverends
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

"I've spent literally hours on Etsy today looking at lamps. One moment I want antique, the next moment I love something industrial/steampunk, then I fall in love with some MCM and then something contemporary. I might need a break from lamp shopping..."-haaaaaa that sounds familiar! I had to outfit the whole damn house by a certain date-electrical inspection..well lamps don't count obviously but wall fixtures, ceiling fixtures-these have to be installed. I started months in advance, obviously. It's been a year since we've moved-still can't stop looking at lights. Messed with my brain, I'm telling you.

But to somehow narrow it all down-you know what I did? I created (also on Pinterest, but on Etsy as well) boards..you can divide there favorites into categories, right? So you put there everything you fall in love with, as different as might be. And you give yourself time and look at these. Chances are at certain point you'll be drawn more to some more than to others. You'll like them all-but there will be a light you somehow can't resist.

Yes, overwhelming, and yes, can take days, can take weeks. Or the opposite might happen -you see it, you're smitten, you know. But I usually go though everything anyway. Just to make sure. Because I also love all sorts of lights, and they all can work too, so how one chooses? I choose the one I get back to in my thoughts, look at it some more, somehow just fall for it harder.

Carrie B thanked aprilneverends
  • Carrie B
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Tatts: Only people who are bored & lonely are deliberately unkind to strangers on the Internet, and that I am not.

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Mayflowers - the top bar of the headboard is 24". When I had my old lamps in place (20") several people said they were WAY too small. Would the extra 4" be enough to make them not puny proportionally?

Voila - thanks. I'm not going to do matching of any kind, though I might make the shades a *similar* style & color. I've actually seen pictures Online with wildly different tables & lamps, and love the look - though I understand that it takes a lot of skill to pull that off. I'm not looking for a silver lamp, though there is a silver lamp to the right of one of the ones I posted. (I numbered all the photos for easy reference.)

AprilNE - I wish I could figure out Pinterest. I've tried several times and always give up in frustration. That site gives me agida. I do think I need to take a step back.

I had a matching set of bedside lamps a decade ago. I lived with them for a year before I decided that I just couldn't do it. I switched out one of them and was sooo much happier. Those were the too-small lamps. I love them, but I've realized that they are too small, aesthetically and for reading. I do think they look nice, besides the smallness. Here they are:

PS: there are TONs of photos like this Online: mismatched tables, lamps, heights, shades, styles. And I like them.

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Just jumping in with a happy update. I've found a solution - which might be temporary - that I'm very happy with.

I decided to cross the bridge to NJ to check out a large thrift shop, mostly because I've been so unsure, that spending a lot of $ on a lamp just didn't make sense. I found a lamp for $9.99 that I thought would work, and when I got to the register, found out it was on sale for $7. Of course, I had to pay a $5 bridge toll, and, then, find the right lampshade - plus a shade for the existing lamp. I spend a while yesterday running around looking for the right combination of shades.

So, this is what things look like, now. At some point, I may fall in love with a lamp or two, or a shade or two. But this feels like a favorite set of hoop earrings - not too fancy, but they can dress up your jeans just a bit, and they feel comfortable and classic to me.

Thanks soooo much for all your help and suggestions, and for your kind and gentle encouragement. The plastic coverings are still on the shades in these photos, just in case...

• eastautumn
    6 years ago

I LOVE your current lamp bases and how the tops of the shades line up perfectly in height but each has its own own personality :) Well done!!!

I wasn't any help, but have enjoyed following along because I love your style, and have also been on a quest to find more appropriately sized lamps for our bedside tables. It's hard! And I'm even looking for matching lamps which you'd think would be easy, but not for me. Today I need to package up a pair to return to Ballard so I thought I'd procrastinate for a few minutes and was delighted to see your update. It gives me hope!

Carrie B thanked eastautumn
  • aprilneverends
    6 years ago

They look cool. And I can't stop looking at your bear:)

Carrie B thanked aprilneverends
  • Carrie B
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Eastautumn - Thank you! In terms of lining them up, it's not perfect, but it is close. It occurred to me that I could finagle the heights a little bit by switching up harps... that helped.

Aprilnever ends... bear... cat(s)?

• katinparadise
    6 years ago

Awesome find Carrie! The color matches enough that they don't feel completely different but they still work well together. Finally!

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks, katinparadise! The new lamp is brass, while the other is nickel - so, by design, not matching. I do like them together, though.
  • katinparadise
    6 years ago

Glad you were able to find something that works!

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    6 years ago

Carrie, you can also finagle heights with a book (or two or three...) underneath. Very chic that way : ) .

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I decided to try switching the tables & lamps...
  • katinparadise
    6 years ago

Honestly, I think they work better the other way. The dry sink seems to fit perfectly on the right and the smaller chest on the left gives more breathing room for the curtains.

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Yeah, katinparadise, I'm thinking you're right.

• katinparadise
    6 years ago

I hope you have furniture slides to help move things around. How are feeling about the room? Do you feel like it's finished?

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hah. No furniture slides, just brute strength & crazy determination. :-) No, room's not finished. I still haven't hung most of the artwork, and I'm not sure how to arrange items: bookshelves, rocking chair, bench...

• cpartist
    6 years ago

You had it right the first time with the dry sink on the right.

• palimpsest
    6 years ago

Look at ebay as well. I never buy new lamps.

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks folks. Lamp decision is made, for now. I’ve also moved the tables back so the smaller bedside table is on the window side.

I may post tomorrow, or Friday, about other, nonessential furniture for that room, and its placement. I’ll start a new post for that.