SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lmhigg

Narrow entry ideas?

lmhigg
6 years ago

Hi all! Hope you guys are off to a good start to the new year.

I need some help with my entry. Its about 6ft long and narrow, as you can see. The ceilings are a standard 8ft. I'm going to replace the lighting with a Moravian star light (flush mount). I really love a good mix of eclectic/whimsical design but is also like it be be functional (maybe offering a place for keys or shoes). I'm thinking of painting it a dark navy and using decals (as pictured) to give a wallpaper effect but keeping the wainscoting. What are your thoughts? Thank you!

Comments (20)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    6 years ago

It already looks like a tunnel and painting it navy will just make it more so . Take a picture thay shows the true space , a 6’ long entry is not long and this pic makes it look totally off.

lmhigg thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • visualizemaven
    6 years ago

What is the room to the right? Is taking that wall down to a half wall an option?

See how the wainscot (strong verticals) combined with the grid pattern of the tiles are competing with each other?

Can you change the floor? What is it connecting to?

lmhigg thanked visualizemaven
  • lmhigg
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks all! I actually haven't moved in yet and will be doing so next week. The room it flows into is the living room and there's no way of making it a half wall since the adjoining space is a bedroom.

I agree about the grout and wainscot lines competing. I'd rather not take up the tile but maybe cover it instead (the living room had wooden floors). Would stenciling it as pictured be a good option for this space to give it a cement tile look?

• gracie01 zone5 SW of Chicago
    6 years ago

Grout can be painted to match the tile, giving a less chopped up look. How tall is that wainscoting? It should be 3 feet or 5 feet; never 4 feet. Personally I would just get rid of it and paint the walls one color.

• visualizemaven
    6 years ago

I like your idea to paint the existing tiles a pattern as shown above.

Let us know what you decide to do!

Enjoy your new space.

• mveasey
    6 years ago

Picture ledges, hooks and painting the walls out, wainscotting included. You could flood the tiles with floor leveling if you want to paint the floor. Love the runner idea!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    6 years ago

That hallway appears to be less than 45" wide. I don't see how there's space to add anything except maybe some decorative hooks to the wall for coats.

• K Laurence
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I would concentrate my efforts ( & resources ) on doing something different with the floors. Follow suggestions above (runner )or remove & replace.

• hatetoshop
    6 years ago

Like the suggested runner. As for a place to put keys, etc., is there space for one on the blue wall under the light switch?

• Mrs Pete
    6 years ago

That's a difficult space!

Love the idea of painting the tiles -- I didn't know that was possible, but I love that it'd be inexpensive and unique. Love the runner with the sideways pattern -- it'll visually widen the space. However, I don't see the point in doing both -- a runner would cover up the painting.

I hate the idea of navy (for this space -- I like navy in other areas). In such a small space, you need light colors to keep things bright. If you love the color, I'd say bring it in through the rug, photographs, or accessories. Not the walls themselves.

No one has mentioned the idea of a mirror. A big, wide mirror could make the space look wider. Would it be crazy to go with two twin mirrors -- one on each wall?

Is changing the door a possibility? I ask because the two tall-thin windows on the door are reinforcing the idea of a long-thin room. If you could have one wider window on the door, I think it would make a difference.

I'd also put a pretty wreath on the inside of the door. You don't necessarily have a lot of space for decoration on the side walls, so use what you have!

You say one of the walls opens up to the living room. Without knowing the details, I could imagine the room being opened up with a pony wall /some sort of divider above -- bookcases?

Could you cut into the walls and make niches? For small shelves /something to break up the space /a place to bring in some color and interest. You'd need to check on electrical wires, etc., of course.

You say you want a space for keys and shoes. I'm not clear on whether this is your everyday family entry or whether this is a front door for guests. It doesn't appear to come from a garage, so I'm going to assume it's for guests. Two ideas:

- Do a built-in shelf (instead of a table). It'll take less space but give you a small space for setting things down.

- Go with an Ikea attached-to-the-wall shoe organizer. They can be dressed up nicely and would provide you with a spot for both keys and shoes.

Pictures I hope will help:

• roarah
    6 years ago

Scale and pattern are off and pretty rough Photoshopping but just to give you a visual representation of your ideas.

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    6 years ago

I do not think it is good idea to use dark walls in so narrow hallway. Instead I would use some framed pictures and mirror.

• mjconti
    4 years ago

I'd like to know what Imhigg decided to do with the entryway. Did you purchase a horizontally striped or patterned rug, add a mirror or colorful art? I'm kind of surprised no one recommended painting the door a color... it might visually 'shorten' the hall's length. I like celerygirl's last photo - mirror is perfect.

• lmhigg
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Completely forgot about this! I have attached a few photos of what I did

• lmhigg
    Original Author
    4 years ago

• kulrn
    4 years ago

Looks great!

• Joe
    4 years ago

Wow, you did a great job on that floor! Kudos!

Did you use a special paint? Thx

• mjconti
    4 years ago

It looks very nice! It's interesting to look at and colorful too. I have a similar credenza, except it has glass doors and a mirrored back. Is your mirror propped up and not attached to the wall in any way? It's beautiful.

• mjconti
    4 years ago

Just realized that the height of the mirror makes a big impact - takes the eye up - a great idea. Instead of the eye following the length of the entry hall. Thanks for your photos.