SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lantern88

Open shelving - should bottom shelf be even with bottom of cabinet?

lantern88
6 years ago

I have a tiny kitchen (9' x 8'). The sink and lower cabinets run along the 9' wall. The sink is in the center and I have one upper cabinet to the left of the sink. I am in the process of putting up open shelves to the right of the sink. (See pic to make sense of my description - upper shelf brackets are in position, but I plan to install brackets for two shelves below these (to the right of the window). Bottom two shelves will go around the corner onto the white wall, just the depth of the counter).

The bracket placement is due to stud placement, as I really need to put dishware and other heavy every-day use items on these shelves due to limited storage.

Question: is it important that the bottom shelf is at the same height as the bottom of the cabinet for symmetry purposes? The bottom of the upper cabinet doors is 17.25", and I'd really like to have the bottom shelf higher than that (approx. at 22"), but I'm not sure if it will look bad. I've searched for many photos of
shelving vs. cabinet height, and all seem to be even with the cabinet
or slightly higher. The problem is when the shelves are placed higher than the cabinet, they are always two sets of shelves with a cabinet in the middle or vice-versa. I'm not able to find a photo where there is only one
cabinet and one set of shelves. Thanks!

Comments (6)