SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lokai99

Please give me your opinion/advice on achieving my goal.

lokai99
6 years ago

Hi all! I'd like to take this time to share my dream with you and get your feedback. I have not been growing hippeastrum for very long, but I research different aspects about them every day. They are constantly on my mind and I love learning all I can.

When I first seriously became interested in this hobby, two hippeastrum enchanted and captured my imagination. H. Spotty and as I am sure like so many others, I fell for H. pardinum.

One will most likely never become available again and the other if it were ever available will never be in a price range I can afford so my dream is to get as close as I can to something similar.

My plan is to begin with crosses using Exotic Star, Naomi (Maguire), Sonatini #130, Sonatini #1623, and Rio Negro. I thought maybe the species genes in Exotic Star and Rio Negro might be helpful. Of course I have no idea if these will be compatible and a cross successful. I also have no idea if the genes for spots will be found at the same places genetically... so who knows if spots x spots would even = spots if they aren't in the right places.

I have also considered using Flamenco Queen, Spotlight, Ada's Flower (Maguire), Temptation, Pencilled Peppi (Maguire), and Giraffe, but I feel Flamenco Queen may be too saturated in color and not the right shape.

I will try as many of these crosses as possible. The long term goal would be to then attempt F2 crosses and primary crosses of the seedlings with the other crosses in this spotted project,

The "Holy Grail" would be to use pardinum pollen at some point, but I am sure that's not going to be possible.

I understand this project will take at least 10 years to get something worthwhile even if it is possible to get what I want with the genes available in these cultivars. I don't see myself falling out of interest with Hippeastrum, so this is something I accept.

You all are far more knowledgeable than am I. Can I achieve something like H. Spotty or H. pardinum? Do you suggest adding a different cultivar or omitting some?

Hope I didn't bore you!

~Joey

Comments (27)

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional
More Discussions