SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mxk3

Can dog food cause this problem?

mxk3 z5b_MI
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Some background: When my girl was still a pup, I had her on a certain high-end brand of dog food. She was progressing well with potty training, but at around 11 months old she started having repeated accidents in the house - an occasional accident I understand, especially when they're still pups, but within a short period of time it got to the point it was repeated, I remember one time she was standing right by me, squatted and let loose, and I had just taken her out about an hour prior. I took her to emergency vet clinic (weekend) thinking maybe UTI, they couldn't find anything. After that, there was a day she was constantly "asking" to go out and still had 4-5 accidents in the house, she could not hold it. Took her to her regular vet, they did a comprehensive workup including xrays. She was as healthy as that proverbial horse, they couldn't find anything except high protein in the urine, said that could precipitate stones and could be due to the puppy food. The vet suggested weaning her off puppy food (which she said is high in protein) and recheck. So, I put her on a different brand of adult food, and recheck in a month or so showed normal protein values. Ok, great - problem seemed to be solved, very rarely did she have an accident.

Fast forward to now -- I decided to switch her to one of the adult formulas of the original brand, mixed with her other food for the transition, currently is on 100% this original brand. Guess what? She's having accidents again. The other day she was laying under my desk while I was on the computer, woke up, gave a weird little "oowoo" nose, and let loose right by my chair! This morning there was a big mess right by the door I take her out. DH did make a comment she has been asking to go out more frequently recently, but I haven't really noticed a difference when I've been home with her.

Am I crazy thinking it could be the brand of food? It could be a coincidence, yes - but she has been doing so well with no accidents for a while, then all of a sudden boom two accidents within a week of each other when I switched food. She's 22 months old now, if that makes a difference.

She's due for a new bag soon, I'm going to transition her back to the brand she had been on since the original switch to adult formula. She's due for a vet check soon, so I will definitely be taking her in. Just wondering if any of you guys have ever heard of such a think like dog food causing urinary problems. Ugh!

Comments (10)