SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jeffo_grow

Could I get advice for supplemental grow lights for my kitchen?

6 years ago

I'm having a hard time working through this.

I've had old florescent fixtures on two shelves for many years, and many years have been frustrated with etiolation. I've had a renewed interest in cactus and succulents recently, after half-heartedly growing them for over 20 years.

Last week I got a 2' Sunblaster for the bottom shelf. I was going to possibly get another Sunblaster for the second shelf, which still has an old one that's about 8 million times weaker, at least. After looking at many threads here on lighting, and seeing how close ewwmayo puts the lights above his plants (realizing his isn't supplemental), I'm wondering if I should put the single lamp Sunblaster over the second shelf and get a two lamp 2 foot light for the bottom area.

Since these are show plants, so to speak, I don't want the light too close that we can't see the plants.

Plus the light is supplemental. This is Wisconsin where it's sometimes cloudy. The window is facing west, with another to the left that you can see, but there isn't much sun coming in until mid-spring. I have Amazon money (which isn't like real money--right?) for this 2 lamp 2 foot light. Another good thing is it's wider, which would cover more of the table-level.

I'm not sure if this would be over-kill or not. What do you think?

Extra credit--feel free to disregard:

This is extremely messy. I'm very embarrassed to post it. I have a lot of work to do. Please don't persecute me for putting a few plants in a pots with no drainage hole. ! I have a whole lot of cleaning, repotting, and rearranging to do, all with a bad back. I'll have plenty more questions coming up. I also have African Violets and some houseplants here. I have a four lamp 4 foot light in the basement with a heating mat for growing Coleuses and succulents from seed and cuttings.

Comments (7)