SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mamapinky0

Cats

mamapinky0
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Think I've mentioned in the past about all the cats around here. Remember I live in a wooded area. I don't know if people drop them off around here or if they are feral. I have tried reaching out to the Humane Society and the other rescue places but nothings been done. I'm told there are hundreds of cats roaming and someone will stop by when they can. I've waited a year. I irritate people by making regular calls to them.

I think someone here told me if I feed them than they become mine and my responsability???

Well I can't take on that responsability and I can't let these guys starve and freeze. Iam probably doing something illegal but I picked up a huge bag of cheapo dry food and a few bales of hay(farmer up the street didnt charge me for it). The neighbor gave me a huge igloo type dog house (I ask him for it) I set it along the woodline about a football field from my house and spread the hay in it. I have hubs put food in an old heavy pot every morning. I see cats in and out of the dog house all the time and the food bowl is empty each morning..today is day 4. I won't be able to do more than this. I think I'm helping but since I don't understand cats never having one maybe I'm hurting more than helping??. Is there anything else I can do that won't cost me money that I don't have?

What provoked my actions was these bitterly cold days along with the igloo dog house the neighbor had in his yard for years but has no dog. One day I thought how sad to see those kitties so cold....a plan was born.

I know some of you will probably say what I've done is ok, but I don't want to risk a knock on my door telling me they are now my kitties. Advice?

Eta I ask the humane society if I could feed these cats..their response was ...we discourage people from feeding feral cats...why would they want them to go hungry?

Comments (34)