SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mark4321_gw

method for leaf propagation between paper in ziploc bags.

mark4321_gw
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I wrote this up yesterday for a Facebook forum.

It was already long, but I actually expanded it here.

First: an example of how this method can work

Second: A brief description of the method

Finally: Detailed comments about the method, how to do it, and potential problems.

An Example: Begonia 'Starry Nights'

The example is one that's easy using conventional propagation; the difference using this method is that the yield of plants is very high.

This is rex Begonia 'Starry Nights':

On October 9th, this was chopped up into over 100 pieces:

These were then put in a ziploc bag between two layers of a paper napkin, sterilized and washed. They grew roots and some plantlets. On November 19th:

The were removed from the ziploc bag:

Placed on soil, and on December 10th some (less than half) looked like this:

And here's a few of them today, very close to 3 months after starting:

Summary of the method and why I use it:

Why do this—what are some possible reason it succeeds? Some of my first experiences were trying this with leaf fragments that decayed upon incubation using conventional propagation—often quickly. I think the sterilization (which is probably only partial) of the ziploc bag contents removes many of the potential pathogens. Further, I think even in cases where conventional propagation of leaf fragments works, it allows smaller pieces of leaves to callus without challenge by as many pathogens or competitors. Thus, the number of sites for plantlet formation for a given area of leaf is increased. Ultimately the yield of plantlets can be greater in many cases. There may be other factors at play, for example, the entire piece of the leaf can utilize light when in the ziploc bag—there’s no need for a portion of it to be buried in the medium.

A quick rundown of the technique: A leaf is (usually) cut into pieces, then placed between two layers of either paper towel or paper napkin. This is then slid into a ziploc bag of the appropriate size. The contents of the bag are first sterilized with a roughly 10% (1 to 10 dilution) of household bleach, and incubated 2-5 minutes. Somewhat higher concentrations or longer incubation times are possible, however they must be balanced against damage to the leaves. Likewise, different agents may be used to sterilize the bag contents, the most obvious of which is alcohol (isopropanol or ethanol).

The contents are then washed thoroughly with water that is as absent of pathogens as is reasonably possible. True sterile technique could be attempted by those with the equipment (an autoclave for the water, a fume hood, etc.), however for most, “semi-sterile” technique should be attempted. Assume that the air and especially all contact is a source of potentially deadly pathogens, and minimize or avoid exposure. After 7-10 washes, which can extend over hours, the free water is drained. The paper will remain wet, and perhaps even some pooled water will remain in the bag. In modest amounts this is fine.

The bag is then exposed to light for a period of weeks. Hopefully after 2-8 weeks, or so, roots will appear. At some point a decision will be made to transfer the leaf (pieces) either on top or inserted into soil. They need to be kept very humid, especially at first, and from this point on, they can be treated as any other leaf cutting. Plantlets can be either left attached to the original leaf (piece) or removed, and so on.

I’ve tried this mainly on Begonias and Streptocarpus, with generally good results. Some attempts have failed. Others have been very successful.

I would recommend trying this with something unimportant until the technique is easy.

It appears I've reached a limit in terms of photos; I'll split this into two posts.

Continued....

Comments (15)