SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gil_happy

Why Is Furnace Unit Blowing Cold Air?

gil_happy
6 years ago

Hello, I recently turned on my upstairs furnace unit in my attic for the first time this winter season (my downstairs furnace unit is working fine) and for some reason it is blowing cold air. This same attic furnace unit was working last winter season. Here is some history about this unit:

- It is a Carrier WeatherMaker 8000 (Product / Model: 58ZAV050-13112 / 58ZAV050-12)

- Manufactured September 1995

- During the summer, the blower motor was replaced under my home warranty program as it stopped working.

- Upon entering my attic the other day to begin troubleshooting, I could see a bright orange glow coming from inside the furnace unit when I turned up the thermostat. This was a good sign for me since I meant that I didn't have to light a pilot light. Upon further inspection, it looked like the gas line was turned off by the technician in the summer when he replaced the blower motor.

- I then turned down the thermostat so that the furnace, blower motor, etc stopped. I then turned on the gas. Once I turned up the thermostat, I could hear the furnace kick on and I could now see the flame inside the furnace unit (good sign)

- For some reason with furnace running (and a flame inside the furnace), there is cold air coming out of my 3 vents upstairs even after running for 5 or 10 minutes.

- Not sure if it is relavant or not, but I thought at some point 'after' turning on, or up, or off (I can't remember), I think I felt heat coming out of the vent for about 5 seconds, but that was the only time.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to look for? Please let me know if you need any additional information or pictures, etc.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (21)