SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
schoolhouse_gw

Avon bottle collection

schoolhouse_gw
6 years ago

What to do with it? My friend's husband, deceased many years ago, amassed appx a thousand bottle Avon collection. She would like to rid herself of them but no one wants to buy them. Any options left for her, i.e. donating to an org. or similar? I called a nice thrift store in town but she said they don't accept them anymore for the same reason - they do not sell.

I thought about the Salvation Army or shelters, for the aftershave and perfume? not sure.

Comments (55)

• Texas_Gem
    6 years ago

A few years ago I went on a mission to find some old Avon perfume. I was able to find what I was looking for on eBay, but I didn't care about the bottles, I just wanted the perfume.

If the bottles still have perfume/cologne then I would say sell them on eBay or something similar. I don't see a market for empty bottles though.

• Elmer J Fudd
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Exactly, chloecat. When the second of my two parents died, a charity that did its own pickup runs picked out the furniture it wanted and a hauling company took everything else to the dump. No family members wanted anything nor wanted to sort through it and so it went. The small value that was there wasn't worth the time or effort to deal with.

• Related Discussions

kitty bottle and lady bottle again

Q

Comments (3)
    How about the bottom to a birdbath! That would be something my cats would do for sure! It took me a while to see the kitty, but when I finally did, he jumped right out at me! Love his color! Your lady bottle has all the makings of a garden lady. She just needs a little frill of some sort and perhaps a hat! Thanks for sharing with us!
    ...See More

HAVE: Brand New bottle of Rare gold perfume by avon

Q

Comments (0)
    Cost 19.95. Would like any plants I dont have. Am especially looking for coneflowers other than the ordinary pink/purple ones. Or anything that looks like them. Thanks
    ...See More

Avon bottles

Q

Comments (3)
    If you have a place to store them, you might want to hold on to them for a while. The bottom more or less dropped out of Avon bottles and a lot of people are trying to get rid of thier collections only to find that no one wants them. In time, they will become a hot item again. Betty
    ...See More

Help! Laura Ashley or Avon lady.........

Q

Comments (19)
    Love that username! I've known two people with a similar situation. Both of them decided that removing the paper was going to be too much trouble, so here's what they did: Glued down any lose edges of paper, cleaned thoroughly, primed the walls, then applied drywall mud skim coat and let that dry, then applied drywall texture, let that dry, and painted. One SIL did a simialr thing with panelling. Just cleaned it well, primed, applied mud/texture, and painted. They didn't have any problems with pait adhesion or wear over the years. You might post the question on the paint forum, and see what they recommend. Is that your furniture? I'm not sure about bedding. I'd definitely go with something NOT too sweet and girly, though. I'd also use caution with the florals. As a whole, it just reads too precious to me. Removing/covering the wallpaper would help with that a lot, and free you up to do what you want, but as it is, it's sort of sweet and flowery overload.
    ...See More
  • morz8 - Washington Coast
    6 years ago

Schoolhouse, had you considered asking on the Antiques and Collectibles forum here at GW. There are a couple of people there who seem to give good advice and often know how receptive the current market.

schoolhouse_gw thanked morz8 - Washington Coast
  • schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I agree with the suggestion to recycle the glass, but some of those bottles are so beautiful really. You'd have to shut your eyes as you tossed them into the bin and try not to think about it afterwards.

• Adella Bedella
    6 years ago

I wonder if some of those would be cute vases? I'd fill with flowers and donate to nursing home residents. Or see if a local school might like some for Mother's Day.

• Texas_Gem
    6 years ago

Adellabella makes a great suggestion! Find a preschool or elementary school and donate them. At our school we have a makers space in the library and they always want items that the kids can repurpose with crafts.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    6 years ago

schoolhouse, has your friend done any research online? Because there's a boat load of interesting information about Avon cologne bottles, including the fact that many are not without value.

It may take some time, but she should probably get them appraised.

• bossyvossy
    6 years ago

Perhaps an antique store might take them on consignment. If after 6 mos, no sales, to the recycling center!

• ritaweeda
    6 years ago

Maybe a yard sale? There's got to be somebody out there who collects them. Put a sign out at the corner - "Free Avon Bottles". When we moved the last time I had donated and had yard sales and given away and still there were some things to get rid of. We finally put them out on the curb and some were snatched within an hour, all of it disappeared by the next day. There are people out there who love to find freebies at the curb.

• greenshoekitty
    6 years ago

Avon has a book that tells what prices are for old bottles. Might want to look at one as some are worth quite a lot of money. The rest I would just give away.

• bengardening
    6 years ago

I like Nickels suggestion

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    6 years ago

nickel, you aren't going to believe this but I was thinking along those very same lines - LOL! I was thinking if she boxed them all up together and put them in a crawlspace somewhere, a 100 years from now someone may consider them a treasure for the very reasons you state. They'll be rushing to look up "Avon" online, or whatever they'll be using in 100 years. Great minds think alike!

Good suggestions from everyone, thank you. I'll pass them along.

• mamapinky0
    6 years ago

I have one empty Avon bottle. An owl made from milkglass with a gem in its eye. It was my Aunts and when she passed I took it (with permission) since I always thought it super cute.

schoolhouse_gw thanked mamapinky0
  • nickel_kg
    6 years ago

(I'm glad to know I'm not the only crazy one around here!)

schoolhouse_gw thanked nickel_kg
  • pudgeder
    6 years ago

"Avon has a book that tells what prices are for old bottles. Might want
    to look at one as some are worth quite a lot of money."

That value is set by Avon. Not exactly a reliable source for what someone is willing to pay.

If you don't stash it as suggested, I'd box them all up and take them to Salvation Army or Goodwill.

You don't have to open and show them what's inside the boxes. On the receipt, just put "collectables."

schoolhouse_gw thanked pudgeder
  • LucyStar1
    6 years ago

I see a lot of them at my local Goodwill store.

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    6 years ago

We have several (maybe a dozen) that we’ve acquired over the years, and packed and moved carefully every time we’ve bought a different house. This thread has given me permission to simply throw them away. Which I will do the next time I trip over them.

• User
    6 years ago

I would try to sell them on Kijiji (is that in the US?) or Craigslist or eBay. Some of those bottles could be worth quite a bit of money.

schoolhouse_gw thanked User
  • User
    6 years ago

Searched Ebay so you can see if they're worth trying to sell: https://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=avon+bottles&_sacat=0&_fosrp=1

• Adella Bedella
    6 years ago

I like the hiding them idea. Lol! I wish I knew where my great grandmothers old outhouse was. I'd go dig it up. I've found some old bottles on my families old home places.

schoolhouse_gw thanked Adella Bedella
  • arkansas girl
    6 years ago

I can't believe people are suggesting to just throw them away. There are many people that still collect these! Sheesh! We have free facebook pages in our area. I'd ask there or see how valuable they are by searching on ebay to see if they would be worth the time to sell them. I'm sure some are very valuable but others probably aren't. I would rather this sort of thing find a good home then throw them away!

schoolhouse_gw thanked arkansas girl
  • schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Debby's post reminds again how unique and pretty some of the bottles were. I'd bet that her husband had most of what I see there, he passed over 20yrs. ago. I wonder when Avon stopped creating the bottles or did they ever?

• arcy_gw
    6 years ago

All nice ideas--but the reality is they meant something to your friend and now it is time to LET THEM GO. Chances are any cologne/perfume in them has lost its umph and is mostly alcohol. They need not take up any more time, space in this world--pitch them.

schoolhouse_gw thanked arcy_gw
  • marilyn_c
    6 years ago

i doubt they would be worth selling on ebay. But, I wouldn't throw them away. You can give them away on FB or freecycle or craigslist. I have a friend who collects the Cape Cod dishes put out by Avon some years ago. Someone just gave me this pitcher and I am going to give it to him. It's pretty. It will make him happy. Makes me happy to give it to him. He probably already has one just like it....but knowing him, he would like another one. ;)

schoolhouse_gw thanked marilyn_c
  • Sherry8aNorthAL
    6 years ago

This is a sold listing on Ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Avon-212-bottles-and-all-the-empty-boxes/222732075070?hash=item33dbddc03e:g:Tf8AAOSwsE1aGMEa

Search Avon bottles, then select sold. This is the highest price sold.

schoolhouse_gw thanked Sherry8aNorthAL
  • marilyn_c
    6 years ago

I have noticed, when in thrift shops, that the cars do seem to sell.

• maifleur01
    6 years ago

Cars do seem to be the ones that do sell. Without the boxes most of the others will just sit there. If you notice when looking at ebay the ones that actually sell have the boxes.

Edited to add look at how few have any bids.

• Adella Bedella
    6 years ago

I love that pitcher Marilyn. I didn't know they had made things like that.

• maifleur01
    6 years ago

There was a whole grouping of the cape cod line. Including small plates, cups etc. I worked for a while at their KCMO plant before it closed. I think they may have planned on hiring me because each month employees were given a box of overstocks. Temps were not supposed to touch the pile of boxes but my boss insisted I take one. I have "some where" several of the plates. In case no one knowa at that time Avon owned Tiffany so in one of the boxes was a silver picture frame.

• Kathy Yata
    6 years ago

About 1/4 listed actually sell on eBay and most don't sell for much. It is a lot of work to research and write the listing and once sold it is a lot of work to pack and ship. Since these are fragile you may have to buy cushioning material even if you can use the free Priority Mail boxes. It looks like on eBay that it is collections that sell for better then $50, single bottles aren't worth much. If the bottles can be boxed without any additional cushioning estimate shipping for a group of them and list. Might be fun to sort out that way. These days you can set a buy it now price and also consider best offers and leave a listing up indefinitely. Much nicer then selling something for $1 because nobody bid!

Love the idea of boxing and leaving in a dry place. Hidden treasure!

• arkansas girl
    6 years ago

Here's a thought, if you donated them to a thrift shop for a charity, even if they only get a dollar each, they will make a thousand dollars if there are a thousand of them! They could take them a box at a time as to not be so overwhelming. I have to say that I've seen and bought a few at the thrift shop and happily paid a dollar for the ones that I bought.

• User
    6 years ago

I just wouldn't fill the landfills up with the collection. If it can't by recycled or regifted or sold, donate it to a Salvation Army or Goodwill store. Someone out there will take them. Once in a landfill forever in a landfill.

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    6 years ago

We have a pet rescue group in our area that has a thrift shop. They are happy to get almost anything.

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    6 years ago

She says they are all in their original boxes. I was thinking about choosing a day when she and I could sit down and go through all of them, but now maybe that isn't a good idea. I don't want to bring any home with me!

I agree about the Ebay thing. Good idea, but I wouldn't want to be the one responsible for monitoring the auctions and packing and shipping. My friend doesn't own a computer and never will.

• Elmer J Fudd
    6 years ago

If there's apparently no market for the stuff today and thrift stores don't want it, there's an obvious message. Holding it longer won't change anything. Hidden junk, not hidden treasure.

Yes, most thrift stores encourage all donations (within the nature of what they want to sell) and will never discourage any. My wife volunteers for one. What you may not know is that many charity-operated thrift stores discard most of what they get, stuff that they feel isn't easily sell-able. So yes, "feel good about giving us what you want to get rid of and be assured we won't waste any time trying to deal with what's there of no value".

• PRO
    MDLN
    6 years ago

Sell them all together on ebay.

• arkansas girl
    6 years ago

Who said the thrift shop doesn't want them and that there's no market for them?

• socks
    6 years ago

Probably cannot ship them with liquid, flammable.

• Elmer J Fudd
    6 years ago

Ark girl, read the first post.

• arkansas girl
    6 years ago

I didn't even see that part. I have to disagree though because I see them at our thrift shop all the time!

• PRO
    MDLN
    6 years ago

@socks, you can ship perfume via ground USPS.

• maifleur01
    6 years ago

You seldom see any here even at Salvation Army/Goodwill because like Elmer Fudd stated they never get to the sales floor. This area has active glass recycling because a local brewery uses the glass in their bottles. I am not current with recycling prices but until the brewery started the project most went directly to the landfill because there was no value to recycled glass. Seeing them at a thrift shop does not mean that the thrift shop sells more than perhaps more than one or two a year. Arkansas girl ask about how many they sell the next time you see some.

schoolhouse_gw thanked maifleur01
  • arkansas girl
    6 years ago

Well I know that I buy them...plus they are always gone the next time I go. I also see many MANY venders at the flea market selling Avon bottles. If they didn't sell them, they wouldn't be bothering with them!

Sure they aren't the latest greatest fad, but that doesn't mean that "Aunt Louise" wouldn't love to buy them! Just because Elmer doesn't like to collect Avon Bottles doesn't mean they are just trash.

Where I see them all the time is at our Habitat For Humanity Restore shop and they even put some in the "Antique" section and ask a big old price for the nicer ones.

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    6 years ago

There is bound to be more than ONE thrift store in the area. Call another one.

• User
    6 years ago

There are plenty of hoarders who will buy ANYTHING at a thrift store...

• Judy Good
    6 years ago

I know people use colored glass for craft projects. I would put on your local Craigslist for a set price or OBO.

schoolhouse_gw thanked Judy Good
  • pudgeder
    6 years ago

In a thousand years, some archeologists are going to be digging up our landfills/

Imagine the explanations they'll come up with when they find all the Avon bottles?

"they made little glass images of their gods and filled them with scented oils & perfumes"

LOL

schoolhouse_gw thanked pudgeder
  • nickel_kg
    6 years ago

All in their original boxes?! wow, that might make a significant difference. You really should ask on the "Antiques and Collectibles" forum. If the experts there all say "no value" then you will know for sure.

schoolhouse_gw thanked nickel_kg
Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals