SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eponymouse

Miele: Disappointing "Longevity" and High Cost of Parts

eponymouse
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

This is a quote from the Miele website: "When you buy a Miele appliance you are choosing longevity and the best in quality." Let me say that Miele Customer Service (in the person of Kiri, with whom I spoke 1/2/18, in the early afternoon) has a rather different idea of what constitutes "longevity" than I do. In addition, I am extremely disappointed with their Customer Service in terms of backing up their products – or, at least, my
very expensive, high-end convection oven -- with affordable replacement parts.

I own a set of Miele Masterchef double wall ovens, and have been very happy with them, aside from some minor issues with temperature regulation. I am a serious baker, and use the ovens regularly. I even use the ovens’ Masterchef features. A few weeks ago, I broken the glass on the outer door (outer door only) of the lower oven, and called my reliable local repair guy about fixing it. He regularly works on upscale appliances, including Miele -- but even he said he "about had a heart attack" when Miele quoted him a cost of $750 for a replacement part. I have scoured eBay and the internet and have found no better pricing.

Today, I contacted Miele Customer Service directly. No luck on a better price for the replacement part. No luck on a used/re-furbished part. "That's the price of the part," said Ron from the Parts Department, to which I had been transferred by Customer Service. He was pleasant and professional, but firm. I asked him to re-connect me with Customer Service. (Ron did at one point hint that the cost to replace the door of the upper oven might be less expensive, at least in part because the lower oven door sports the "Miele" logo. I asked if the two doors – upper and lower -- are the same size, and said that cosmetics are not an issue for me; I would be fine with using the “wrong” but less expensive door as a replacement; I resisted the urge to tell Ron what I REALLY think about the idea of paying extra for a door just to advertise the Miele brand! He then said that he doesn't actually know if the two doors are the same size/interchangeable. Hmmmphhh! Sure he doesn’t. Lotsa help there. Thanks.)

When I spoke for the second time with Customer Service, I explained the situation, and said that it does not really make good financial sense for me to pay an amount that constitutes a large percentage of the price of a new oven, just to purchase a single piece of replacement glass/one outer door. I said that I would be considering replacing the entire unit. (Actually, I am considering "making virtue of necessity," and replacing the double ovens with one convection oven and one combi-steam unit.) “However,” I said, as pleasantly and matter-of-factly as I could, "I will not consider replacing the ovens with Miele again. This experience with the cost of replacement parts has made me very, very unhappy with the company. I just thought that, in fairness to you, I should make Customer Service aware of that."

At this point in the conversation, Kiri looked me up in "the system," and asked if I were talking about the ovens I had purchased in 2003. I said yes. (Actually, purchased in October of 2003, but delivered 1/3/04 -- so, as it happens, delivered exactly 14 years ago tomorrow, as of this writing! And installed about six-seven months after that, in June or July of 2004.) Then, I was rather astonished to hear Kiri say: "Well, the ovens are 14 years old -- almost 15 years" (actually, 14 years old -- closer to 13 if you go from date of installation -- but I guess I'm the only one who's actually counting!). Then she said, "We expect these appliances to last only about 15 to 20 years. This is about the time when you can expect parts to start to fail on them." Not sure if that means that Kiri is recommending that I go ahead and purchase a new set of ovens anyway, or what.

In any event, that is today's official word from Miele Customer Service:"longevity" (as in "you are choosing longevity,” per the Miele website) means, in real life, "starts to fail at about 15 years." And when your expensive appliance does start to fail, you will be gouged for the price of replacement parts. (This last verb, "gouged," is not Miele's official term, you understand. That is my own interpretation of the state of affairs.)

Comments (25)