SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bpath

To Costco, or not to Costco?

bpath
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

The first pondering of the new year: Costco, or no Costco?

DS is home for a couple of semesters, but still, do we need Costco for only 3 people at, what $60/year? Well, that's only $5/month, right? But, I don't necessarily go there every month. Even with the boys at home, I went monthly mainly because I was a "band parent" buying treats and water for the band, lunchbox goodies for my kids. And we like their dress shirts, prices on clothes--when they have good stuff--and the frozen foods. For us it's not about the quantities, but the quality, and we find some good quality there. Most of our Christmas dinner came from Costco, and it was really good.

So, if you are a small household, what do you do? Costco/Sam's? Or no?

Comments (66)

• Olychick
    6 years ago

I'm single and use it mostly for the gas savings. I go through the store once every few months and buy garbage bags, dish and dishwasher soap, paper towels, sometimes TP, but I need single ply which can be hard to find there. I go there specifically when I make a big batch of spanikopita because I can get huge containers of prewashed organic spinach and good deals on feta. I buy baby aspririn and ibuprofen there - which I take daily. Oh and batteries. I love having batteries on hand and theirs are a good price. I also get photo prints and printer ink there. You can store your photos on their site for free if you just pay for even 1 print per year.

I would buy more things in the laundry section, but everything is scented so I try to avoid that aisle as much as possible.

I don't buy their fish or meat much - I prefer local sourced and organic and won't eat farmed raised salmon or prawns. Once in a while, even though I try to eat organic, humanely raised meat, I will buy a rotisserie chicken. They are delicious!

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    6 years ago

Toilet paper, paper towels, trash bags, yard bags, Ziplock
    bags, Kirkland dishwasher pods, Kirkland laundry liquid, Kirkland fabric
    softener, Kirkland dry dog food (veterinarian recommended), Neutrogena makeup
    remover wipes, Kirkland facial wipes, toothpaste, vitamins, contact solution,
    Kirkland cookware sets for gifts for family members, car gas, milk, pizza,
    Tillamook cheese, herb roasted turkey slices, wine, ink for printer, have
    bought TVs, computer paper, canned vegetables, frozen vegetables, frozen
    fruits, eggs, occasionally clothing in some form or another – socks, tights,
    pajamas, faux leather jackets, underwear, books, fish when the seafood people
    are there with the fresh fish, rotisserie chicken, etc.

I also have a Sam’s Club membership and just two days ago making cost comparisons of like items/same brands at Costco and Sam’s. To my surprise, of all the things I checked,
    Sam’s price was quite a bit less than Costco’s except for one item.
    So I might start doing more of my shopping at Sam’s. I do buy from Sam’s already, just not in the
    quantities I do at Costco.

I would not be without memberships for both places. Currently there are three at my house, but that can change to one in the next few months.

• Related Discussions

Costco shower thoughts

Q

Comments (1)
    I'm a huge Costco shopper, and while I find the quality of their stuff is typically pretty good, I also find their online items to be super pricey. Unless you have the cash readily available and don't care about price, I'd shop around.
    ...See More

Allwood cabinets sold by Costco?

Q

Comments (15)
    the costco cabinets are made in china and warehoused in florida. The prices are pretty good. I can normally beat the price with my import products any day of the week. If you are going to buy Chinese from Costco be aware there are american made brands that will actually be less if you know which brand to get and who sells them. Chinese products get a bad wrap for the most part. Why is a Ikea cabinet praised on this board over and over and the Chinese cabinet is slammed over and over? I have 150 different cabinets from China and the Us I offer to my customers when the budget for the entire kitchen remodel is under 10k for all products appliances countertops and installation. Generally the Chinese will give you painted finishes with glazes and solid wood dove tail drawers and soft close full extension undermount rails in full overlay door styles for the cost of builder grade oak in American brands. Is there that much of a difference if a chinese man operates a huge steel machine to shape the wood or if a american man or woman operates an older version of that machine in the US? Many of the Chinese factories are more advanced with newer equipment than the US factories. I have many US cabinet makers that are just now becoming "CARB" compliant a California Air Resources Board standard. The chinese met the standard much faster then the US did many times. I am not stuck on either US or Chinese and realize that we as consumers need choices to match our own situations. More choices means lower prices for all the opposite of monopoly. That being said Costco is high end on the cost of chinese cabinets. Sunco and 6 Square both have the same business model if you want to compare prices after finding local dealers to your area. The doors and drawers are finished in China the rest is cut and assembled in the US facitlity for all 3 brands.
    ...See More

Kitchenaid, Costco BlueStar or Costco NXR 36" range?

Q

Comments (16)
    KA 20k btu burners are sealed with a very wide heat pattern. Only very wide pans will capture a good percentage of the heat. Even with large pans the Bluestar will have more power actually making it to the bottom of the pan because the heat is directed right to the bottom of the pan not to the side. Plus the heat will be much more even across the bottom of the pan. KA has a history of blowing fuses during self-clean. Better as of late but still something to keep in mind. With KA you get electric oven features but possible electric oven heachaches and cost of repair with integrated circuit boards etc. I can't find the interior dimensions or the broiler rating for the KA but with the BS it will fit commercial baking sheets and you get a very powerful broiler too.
    ...See More

buying carpet from Costco in Honolulu

Q

Comments (7)
    Lawrence- I think Beverly was not questioning where your unit is, but that she would not do carpet because of the environment there. I’d go for the LVT as it will be easier for cleaning with sand and humidity and more desirable for resale some day. I lived in Honolulu for a year and everything is so much more expensive there and limited compared to on the mainland as I’m sure you know. Good luck and post pics when done!
    ...See More
  • tinam61
    6 years ago

Just the two of us and we do not do Costco or Sams (or Walmart either LOL). We live in a small town outside a bigger city - and that is where these stores are. So, not really convenient to us. I don't know if I'd go there if they were closer or not (I wouldn't go to Walmart if it were next door!). I've heard about their low gas prices, but my hubby is picky about where we buy gas. He looks for the quality of gas, not just the price (me I don't know much about it.) We don't buy alot in bulk. Paper items, etc. I buy online from Jet and get good prices. After you've shopped there awhile you build up "jet dollars" plus you often get coupons. Delivered to the door.

• runninginplace
    6 years ago

We used to have a Costco membership but switched to BJs when one opened up close to us; it's also a nicer shopping experience a la the Target/Walmart comparison since going to our nearest Costco like doing much else in Miami entails a traffic clogged nightmare of a drive to a store followed by a frustrating search for a parking spot in the same zip code then a tour through a store jammed full of rude people wandering around in a place that is always rather disheveled and unclean. Then one gets to enjoy the final insult of perpetual ridiculously long check out lines, all of which are always full of people who seem to be either stocking up for the zombie apocalypse or buying the next 2 years' worth of food, booze and paper goods to use in the restaurant they must run that serves 1,000 people daily.

As a family of 2 we also don't fill our carts but my husband buys all our gas at BJs at a great price, and we also get our paper goods, cleaning supplies, large packages of chicken and fish/shrimp, pet food and cat litter and miscellaneous stuff like large packages of the candy bar my MIL likes (husband brings one for his twice weekly visits to her in assisted living), seasonal party food like frozen appetizers etc. BJs has more name brand items too which we tend to prefer.

I suspect Costco has a bigger marketing presence/reputation because BJs just isn't ever nearly as intense to deal with. For us, that's worth a lot!

• maddielee
    6 years ago

Last year a Costco opened up close to the BJs that I frequent. They offered a special opening price of $35.00 for 1 year membership. And they included a Costco gift card for $ 20 or 25.00.

I joined and have liked some of the items offered.

When our BJs membership came up for renewal (50.00) I did not hurry to renew. After waiting a month or 6 weeks, BJs sent me a a special offer of $40.00 for a year membership. Now I also have the notice that the Costco membership is soon due, $60.00.

We still haven't decided which one to rejoin....

if I wait long enough maybe Costco will send me a better offer.

• tackykat
    6 years ago

I have never gotten a discount from Costco other than the first year- to get me to join. I think the full price is $120, so $60 is a bargain!

• User
    6 years ago

It’s only my DH and I as well, we belong to both Sam’s and Costco. We have the Costco Visa card so we use it when we go and save the 3% or whatever it is, both stores are only a couple of miles away so we buy all our gas there. Sam’s I could take or leave, but I like the quality at Costco as well as the return policy so we’ll shop there first before we go to a smaller store like Meijer or Walmart. We have a large walkin pantry so space to stock up on paper goods, canned stuff and so on isn’t an issue. I split and freeze meat we buy and what Costco doesn’t have, Sam’s usually does. For me it’s not 100% about the savings, it’s about the policies of the store and the experience we have going there. This year on our visa, we’re getting over 300.00 back from our percentage discounts (mostly gas I’m sure), I’m happy about that!

• Olychick
    6 years ago

A couple of years ago, I was making a big purchase at costco (don't remember what) and the checker said if I wanted to upgrade to an Executive membership, I'd get more $ back and the savings that day would almost pay the difference for the more expensive membership. I decided to try it, but this year, when I got my rebate check, it didn't even cover the membership upgrade. My membership was due for renewal, so I went to customer service and told them I didn't think the Executive was right for me and my spending, so they refunded the difference in the membership fees and gave me the regular membership. I tried to return the rebate check because it didn't seem fair that I keep that when I'd gotten the fee returned, but they insisted I keep that as well. Great CS, for sure!

This was in addition to the rebate I get from using their credit card - I wasn't happy when they switched from American Express, as I hate citibank, but I don't carry a balance anyway, so it doesn't really matter to me. I use that card mostly at costco or places where I don't really care if they have to pay the cc fees to citibank.

• User
    6 years ago

Tina, we used to buy Shell gas exclusively. Not anymore. Your husband has nothing to fear purchasing gas from Costco. They're certainly not going to risk damage to their reputation by selling an inferior product.

https://www.costco.com/gasoline-q-and-a.html

• arkansas girl
    6 years ago

We don't have Costco very close, we are just two and have a Sam's Club membership. Sam's in just a few miles from our house. I probably go every other week for at least something. But, like I said, it's just a few miles away and I'm always driving right past it anyway. Simple to just run in and buy one or two things and they have a quick self checkout. I always buy Sam's gas too, it's the cheapest in town. I've never had an issue with their gas.

• arcy_gw
    6 years ago

LOL my son is single and goes weekly. He ADORES that place. I don't know anyone more miserly than he and if he thinks it is worth the price of admission it has to be!!!

• Jmc101
    6 years ago

Yes Costco. We save 20 cents per gallon on gas. That alone pays for the year membership.

• cmm1964
    6 years ago

In our household of two Costco is a verb! (Costcoing)

We buy meat, wine, frozen chicken breast, olive oil, spices, organic eggs, butter kale salad mix, pre made chicken salad, light bulbs, wiper blades, batteries and more. Our Costco is about 35 minutes away so we make it a day with a lunch after. We live in snowbird country (FL) so it can get frustrating at times with the carts blocking the aisles. I think you should be given a list of rules when you enter the store. First rule is do not stop your cart in the middle of the aisle. I do feel that most Costcos set up their samples in bad spots which makes things even more crowded.

• just_terrilynn
    6 years ago

Cmmm, lol I agree the Costco stores need rules of the aisle down here. My favorite is when a shopper spots the free food samples stands, leaves the shopping cart right in the middle of a main isle to muscle into the food stand area...then, comes back to the abandoned cart and proceeds to stand smack dab in the middle of the main aisle road to leisurely eat their snack. Sheesh!

• dedtired
    6 years ago

I rented a car through Costco's travel service. It was a pretty decent savings over renting directly from Budget or another rental company. I also get the lenses for my glasses there. Their selection of frames isn't so great but I did find some frames for prescription sunglasses. I believe they have a service to help you shop for a car, too, although I've never tried it. I have my son on my account and we buy stuff for my mom, too. However, since they sell stuff in such enormous quantities, it's often more than we can use. I also bought my tv there.

• rosesstink
    6 years ago

2 people in our household. I don't belong to any of the clubs and don't shop at Walmart or Target. Closest Costco is about 45 minutes away. Based on what people have said here I did some comparisons (maybe it would be worth the drive?). Cost of gas - I drive about 17,000 miles per year. Based on the current price at Costco vs. the station near work where I usually buy gas, I would not save the membership fee (assuming $60) plus I'd have to drive out of my way to get it. Checked some grocery items. The only savings were on (not paper products - those savings weren't worth even a short drive) things in quantities far larger than I'd use in several years.

Maybe the other items they carry would make it worth the fee. However, based on my experience with a (free) BJs membership a number of years ago, I doubt it.

• terezosa / terriks
    6 years ago

I think you should be given a list of rules when you enter the store. First rule is do not stop your cart in the middle of the aisle.

I've been saying that for years. My first rule is to have your card ready before getting to the entrance of the store, so that you aren't blocking people going in while you dig into the depths of your purse. Also, don't stop 2 feet into the store while you put the card away!

I rented a car through Costco's travel service.

We always rent cars through Costco. The price is always the best, and they include a second driver for free. A tip is to continually check the rates until you travel, then cancel and rebook if you find a better price.

We also bought our last car through Costco's auto buying program. We researched the price, and the price through Costco was the best that we found. The best part - no haggling at the dealership!

• bpath
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Wow. I never thought of renting a car through Costco. My brother was just visiting and we rented a car through Enterprise, and I didn't even think to check my email for my coupon. It was kind of last minute. Oh well.

My Costco isn't far, and is on my way to some places I shop, and only a little out of way to my parents, and it's the only gas between "here" and "there". So *ding* I think I'll renew. Not to mention, Costco wanted to build their store IN my town, who turned it down so I don't mind sticking it to my city board by shopping there, and seeing my neighbors there, too. Just kidding, I'm not the vindictive sort, but it does grind my gears a little that the city turned them down.

• neetsiepie
    6 years ago

It's just us two and we're Costco fans. Besides everything mentioned above (I go almost weekly) we also got our homeowners/auto insurance thru them and we save a lot compared to going out on the free market. Pet food and cat litter are a tremendous savings for us. The 40lb bag of Kirkland Super Premium dog food is less than $30 and our vet recommends it too. We've been feeding Kirkland super premium dog and cat food for nearly 20 years and all our animals have thrived on it.

We bought LVP so cheap I couldn't believe it! I think it was less than $2.50/SF-and it is NICE. I could probably point to nearly every electrical thing in our home and say it came from Costco. I love buying books there too. And the absolute most fantastic ravioli lasagna is sold there. It rivals my Italian Grandmothers-that is how good it is.

My only complaint is our local (within 3 miles of my house) store has terrible produce, so I don't buy it there. There is another store about 30 miles away with better selection, but I just buy our produce locally when I can instead.

Their return policy cannot be beat. But the best thing is that you don't need to be a member to shop there. You can buy a Costco gift card on line and use that to enter the store and shop without having the membership. Also I understand that their pharmacy is considerably cheaper than others. Our prescriptions are through Kaiser and our copay is only $1, so I can't find a better deal than that, but my friend who has BCBS can get considerable savings getting her prescriptions filled there than at Walgreens or Target. And you do not need a membership for prescriptions. Even pet prescriptions are sold there and are cheaper than at the vet!

I'd estimate that between DH and I, we spend over $300/mo at Costco, and that doesn't include the gas we buy or special purchases such as a TV or big equipment he uses in his shop. The over all savings for us more than covers the $60 annual fee.

• rich69b
    6 years ago

We used to have executive membership to Costco, but with 2 kids in college, it's just me and my husband most of the time, we decided to downgrade to regular membership two years ago. I rarely shop at Costco now, but always get our gas there. You can't beat their price.

• eld6161
    6 years ago

Rich, interestingly enough, yes you can. DH needed gas and he is always up on Costco's pricing. I sent him to one that I often go to and they were only 2 cents more than Costco.

• daisychain Zn3b
    6 years ago

Well, I think you all must have more self control than I do. I find that when I go to Costco, I end up buying things not on my list that we don't really need and I end up spending more rather than less than if I had shopped at my local. I also find it inconvenient to got there as both of the Costcos near us are in very dense retail areas where traffic is insane. As someone who works, I find their hours odd and it's hard to get there when they are open. Also, I'm a little agoraphobic and all those people make me a wee bit anxious. I do like how friendly the staff are at the checkout, but that's not enough to renew my card this year.

• bpath
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Daisy, I know better than to go to Costco on the weekend...except when I have to. And I rarely have to. Fortunately, ours is in a pretty quiet, non-commercial area. I'm sure if it were like the local Sam's, surrounded by commerce and traffic and lights, I wouldn't feel the same way. I did go a day or two before Christmas and it was packed, with the usual clueless folks taking up space, but there were also plenty of folks being kind and friendly and laughing about it all.

The key to not getting more than you meant to is don't get a cart!

The hours are odd, I wish they opened before 10am, especially that day I needed 200 cookies for the 10:30 band class, got to Costco at 9, and learned they wouldn't open for another hour. I had to go to the big-chain supermarket instead.

• lascatx
    6 years ago

We recently let our Sam's membership lapse. Since Costco opened closer to us, we weren't using it and the son who was has just moved closer to a Costco. The boys have cards so they can buy meat and gas primarily. Even if it were just the two of us, our meat purchases, printer ink and a few other regulars would make it worthwhile. We often buy gas there (not always due to location) and we tend to have a couple or few major purchases each year that add to our savings. In 2017, the Costco choices didn't work for the sink, vanity cabinet or appliances we needed for reno of my sister's former home (she needed a downdraft cooktop) or the washer/dryer for a son (they tended to be higher end or much more basic), but we did buy a VitaMix and two laptops there. The laptops alone were hundreds of dollars in savings each. We also bought a couple of gifts in the adjoining liquor store at significant savings -- about $40 each.

It works for us -- and by the way, they will refund the remaining portion of your membership if you are not happy with it.

• loonlakelaborcamp
    6 years ago

Just two of us, and we wouldn't give up Costco! We have the executive membership, and we always get a rebate back larger than the membership fee.

We love the fresh produce and dairy. With my food allergies, they have quite a few items I can eat no where else. We don't eat many fully prepared convenience foods, so they seem to work out better than Sam's club. My husband shops at Costco weekly for us. Medications are a great price there (I don't seem to have to pay extra co-pays there -- and always have to a the local pharmacy...)

We like buying batteries and other household items there, and have picked up a great value on their storage racks! We live in a less than 1000 sq ft home, and we make room for all the traditional bulk items you can get a Costco. Worth it!

• tackykat
    6 years ago

loonlake's post reminded me of a question I have about the executive membership ($120) which we have had for a while. I remember when we upgraded to that being told that if our rebate did not make up the difference between the $120 and (now) $60 standard membership, we could get a refund of the difference.

I dont recall every year's rebate - some years we get back $75 (2 percent of our purchases, I think it is), some years we get back more like $40. I recall that most years, the exec membership has been worth it to us. (We also get $ back on the Costco CitiVisa, esp on travel, but I am talking in this post only about the rebate from Costco itself)

My question is:

For some reason, I thought that after a year on the exec membership, if you ask for the rebate (in effect saying "hey, this exec membership is not worth it to us") you then have to go back to the standard membership. Is that the case? Or can you have an exec membership year after year and get refunded the difference if your rebate is less than $60.

Just curious if anyone knows! Thank you for reading this long post!

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    6 years ago

The only one around here is too far away (about an hour's drive in crazy traffic) to make it worthwhile, and there are only 2 of us plus a tiny cat.

I can get great deals @ Aldi on paper goods & Trader Joe's is not too far for a once weekly trip, and there's a Walmart Neighborhood Market about 7 minutes away as well.

• straitlover
    6 years ago

If you REALLY only use it every so often and know someone else w/ a membership, an option is to have them buy you gift cards. I have read (not tried it myself!) that if you have a Costco gift card, you do not need a membership to shop.

I get a membership when it's time for new prescription glasses (have to have membership for that), and then I let it run out since I only go there every 3-4 months when I do have the membership. This time I think I will buy me a gift card (think I have until May before it expires) so I can still go every so often. If I see something I absolutely have to have that's more than my gift card, then I'll just sign up again. I need to go try out that memory foam mattress they have as I really need to start looking at replacing my current POS mattress. :)

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    6 years ago

I checked Costco.com and it says: "Members and non-members may use the Costco Cash Cards to shop at any Costco location in the United States, Puerto Rico, Canada and online at Costco.com.Non-members will be charged a 5% surcharge over the member's posted product prices (except for prescription drugs) when purchasing on Costco.com." So you can get a member to buy a Costco Cash Card for you and you can use it without a membership. You have to be a member to buy or recharge a Costco Cash Card.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    6 years ago

Neetsiepie mentioned the prescriptions at Costco being inexpensive. I know my doctor gets his prescriptions filled there, because, he said, he can't get a better deal anywhere else.

• Indigo Rose
    6 years ago

I've been a Costco member for many years, and an Executive member for awhile. My DD is on my membership, and we shop there regularly. I live alone; she has a family of 3. We both spend a lot, and this year received a rebate check that fully covered the $120. Exec. member fee. I'm not sure I appreciate non-members getting to shop on gift cards, etc. without being a member - seems a bit unfair to those who pay the annual fee. As someone above also noted, I like to support a retailer, local or chain, who provides good wages, and I like that they are closed on certain holidays, and have a generous return policy.

We buy only organic food but also make exceptions for the rotisserie chicken! I stock up on Scott's single ply TP (better for my septic) and paper towels, and don't have to think about running out. More and more items are available in organic including chicken and grass fed beef and I'm excited about that. The list seems endless of all the non-food purchases which include gloves, shoes, TV's, cameras, and on and on..

• User
    6 years ago

Finally tried their pesto tonight. It's as good as homemade!

• just_terrilynn
    6 years ago

Oh you just reminded me about their Brushetta! It's almost better than you get in Italy. Not quite but close. Yum!

• Bunny
    6 years ago

CindyMac, the pesto in the refrigerated jar? OMG, the best. I can’t make it better than that. It’s wonderful on toast.

• User
    6 years ago

I put it on steamed cabbage tonight. Couldn't believe how good it was!

• bpath
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Okay, bruschetta and pesto? that does it. I'm re upping my membership tomorrow (before DH gets home...)

• just_terrilynn
    6 years ago

Bpathome, don't forget the Costco French bread 2/pk. Cut diagonal and broil with a bit of garlic butter and top with the bruschetta . It's sooo good!

• daisychain Zn3b
    6 years ago

Did anyone else get an email from Costco after responding to this thread? Probably just coincidence, but you never know with the reach of the interwebby these days.

• maddie260
    6 years ago

I don't think I could live without a Costco membership; my friend and I call it "the promised land". haha! (no offense meant to anyone.) I have an upright deep freezer and food saver, so buy meat, divide, and freeze. I buy all of our paper products, cleaning supplies. Our local Costco has the greatest wine and cheese-often avoid that section out of self preservation. I think the organic food selection is at least 25% of the fresh food? We don't buy any frozen foods that I can think of? They also have good online selections- check frequently. Their return policy is second to none. I wish we had gas. I LOVE Costco.

• maddie260
    6 years ago

I should add to my above note: I am not a person who will shop around for a better deal on paper products, etc. My mother did and said that she could do better than Costco; I have no patience for that kind of shopping. Costco's meat is not cheaper/pound, but it is a better grade of meat for the same price. We have an executive membership and get money back every year.

• Indigo Rose
    6 years ago

Maddie, I could only wish our Costco had 25 % organic produce, but at least they seem to be slowly improving. BTW, I bought a good sized chest freezer this year that I love. From Costco!.

• llitm
    6 years ago

Never thought I'd be a Costco fan but joined a few years ago as empty nesters and love it more all the time. Once a week I go for organic berries and whatever else I might need. Just got two new electric bikes at a special promotion just before Christmas and are enjoying the heck out of them. Applied a $100 gift card Costco sent the day before toward the purchase.....niiiiiice! I could go on and on but it's probably all been mentioned above.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    6 years ago

I use BJ's as it is closer than Costco, but it is worth it for me (1 person). Paper products (and I also buy for my mom), laundry detergents, printer ink, and personal care products. Sometimes food, mostly staples (sugar. flour). The membership price is worth it for me.

• bpath
    Original Author
    6 years ago

We don't have BJs around here, just Sam's for a long time and Costco arrived a few years ago. Is BJs virtually the same in price, products, and policies? I never joined the Sam's because is was not convenient, and just not nice inside, kind of gloomy! The Costco is a nice experience to get to and shop in. Leaving is a pain with their checking your receipt, card, and cart, ugh. Just let me go!

Re: the Sam's Club, why does the notice on the door say they will reopen the next day? Weird.

• nosoccermom
    6 years ago

The only thing that bugs me is that when it's time for the reward check (and there are two, one from Costco, one from the Costco CC at different times of the year). One refund check comes attached to the last page of the CC bill. The other refund check comes in an envelope that looks like junk mail with something on the outside "about your membership".

I wonder how many people throw out these envelopes.

• sonni1
    6 years ago

I still have a costco membership, but not sure for how much longer. I've been comparing prices with Target.

• artemis_ma
    6 years ago

As a single person, I still find it worthwhile to retain ONE warehouse store membership. Costco or BJ's has great deals on chicken, wild caught smoked salmon, healthy avocado oil (I prefer not to cook with any other high temp oil), cheeses, and sometimes I find good housewares, warm winter socks, and the occasional electronics there.

Oh. And I am a sucker for their hearts of palm.

And for great gas prices...

• straitlover
    6 years ago

FYI = you do not have to have a membership to get prescriptions filled. Same goes for Sam's etc. There's some law that says you can't charge a fee to get prescriptions or something. I had to get my mother's cancer med from there one month when it was unavailable just about everywhere.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    6 years ago

BJ's and Costco prices are similar. Costco was the first in this area, north of me. They built a second and nicer one south of me, and then BJ's came in 3 miles north of the second Costco. I had both memberships for awhile (Costco has more food and food samples, and I really like their hot dogs), but pared down to just BJ's.