SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
njlemon

Tub Surround Installed without Moisture Barrier

njlemon
6 years ago

Hello everyone!

I have a question that sadly I am realizing way too late. Here is the situation. I hired and licensed and bonded handyman who does tile to install a tile tub surround and tile bathroom floor in my upstairs bathroom. It was finished about a month ago. He had us purchase the materials based on a list he gave us so I know everything that went into that bathroom and a moisture barrier of any type was not included. The tub is against a cinder block exterior wall on one side (the long side) and studs and insulation along the short sides of the tub. As I am reading about tile in a bathroom ”just for fun” I came across lots of discussion about moisture barrier and then I found out that it is actually required in building code.

Now I am worried about my installation and don’t know what to do. Should I seek damages from the guy who did it since he did it incorrectly and then have the tub surround torn out and reinstalled by someone else with a moisture barrier? I don’t see any vapor barrier in the demo/trash so it must not have been installed behind the old tile either and I don’t see mold on the studs (we haven’t installed the ceiling in the floor below the shower so I can see up into the wall cavity). We are in dry Colorado and the space between the studs is open into the attic so maybe the water can evaporate??

The advice I need is this: should I rip it all out and have it reinstalled correctly right now or do you think it will be fine? The thing that doesn’t add up to me is that the studs are fine when no moisture barrier was there before - any idea why?

Thanks everyone for your help!

Comments (27)