SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_31506644

kitchen upgrade

User
6 years ago
I been wanting to upgrade my kitchen for some time now. I'm cautious with costs and been thinking of adding cabinets rather then replacing all. I have been told that it will be hard to find exact match, so I'm considering getting cabinets that match as close as possible to current and either staining or painting.

I will be getting rid of my pantry area (white double fold doors) and extending counter space all the way to the wall. New counter top and back splash - I always liked the clean white look so will aiming for that. However if anyone has a different take on colors, i welcome them all. I have a nice balcony door that brings good amount of light, so going darker could be an option. As to floors, I'm not sure what will happen there at this point. I have natural maple wood flooring throughout the house.

Any comments, ideas as to painting vs staining. Also I welcome any ideas as to the overall project.

Anna

Comments (50)

• emilyam819
    6 years ago

What are you hoping to achieve by removing the pantry closet? Seems like counter space there wouldn’t be put to good use. I’d keep the closet and invest in an organization system for it and also new ceiling/lighting. I like your cabinets.

• ldstarr
    6 years ago

Not sure that you'll gain much removing the pantry closet. If you want to refresh your kitchen, I'd consider painting/staining just the cabinet face frames and purchasing new doors and drawer fronts with the money instead.

If you have any "spare" money after the lighting etc, I'd consider altering some of your cabinets to drawer stacks when purchasing the new fronts. You'll find the drawers accommodate much more efficient storage.

• Related Discussions

Kitchen Upgrade Ideas

Q

Comments (12)
    if you want contemporary, I'd look into refacing your doors w/slab front or even a shaker. right now they're very traditional looking. find some pictures of the kitchens you like, and we'll tell you how to get the look you want. but you may want to consider doing new cabs, or like I said, getting them refaced w/diff doors. but yes, 100%, get new countertop and that backsplash has to go! looks like floor tile design Shaker door fronts, modern hardware, and granite. White tile subway backsplash. gray quartz, pendant lights contemporary lights, white quartz, and a linear glass backsplash, modern seating. slab front, glossy white modern cabs. glass tile backsplash, and a marble look quartz. This is contemporary. i'd also check into getting a counter depth fridge. it will sit even w/your countertop. (see the pick above w/the fridge in pic 1 and 3
    ...See More

Need Kitchen upgrade - Paint woodwork…New countertops

Q

Comments (13)
    Beautiful cabinets! Leave them alone. Natural woods are making a return to the kitchen. It appears that your island has no plumbing to it. And, perhaps only one outlet (on the other side). You have real hardwood floors, so if you make any changes to the island it can probably be patched. I would focus on counters/backsplash. Lighting. And then….if you want to make some changes…a new, rectangular or square island. Possibly painted, if that is what you want. Make the changes there. A different color. Adding a small sink. Changing the style of cabinetry (or repurposing what you have.). Minor modifications to your kitchen will make a huge change.
    ...See More

kitchen upgrade help!

Q

Comments (1)
    I would absolutely go light with cabinets counter top and backsplash since it is such a small space. Going light will help open it up add some plants too! here are some examples
    ...See More

Kitchen upgrade!

Q

Comments (38)
    Painting cabinets is not really difficult. Anyone who has some experience spraying finishes, whether homes, cars, or furniture can likely spray full overlay cabinets successfully, it really just isn’t that hard. In fact, if you were to apply at an autobody shop with cabinet spraying experience they are likely going to consider that as little to no experience as would a house painter who sprays. It is just so much easier to spray small doors that you can easily manipulate than stationary or large items. Certainly you might question the knowledge of coatings that a general painting contractor has, but you might also question the knowledge of coatings that most small cabinetmakers have. This is especially true when you start refinishing cabinets, as painting fresh wood is so different than removing and reapplying coatings.
    ...See More
  • User
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I'm hoping that gaining more counter space would help with current clutter of small appliances which are used daily. Coffee maker, knife set, blender, juicer etc. In return I would have more cooking space around sink/stove area.
  • User
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Pretend you’re moving. Now start donating stuff that you don’t use and declutter. I’d bet that you have room for your actually needed items then.

• Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    6 years ago

I would not get rid of a pantry space. As suggested above, install an organizing system such as Elfa (currently having a 30% off sale until February 28th). If you organize and are ruthless with culling your items, you may be able to gain enough room to install a counter top in there with space below for the appliances you mention--install electric and they can be used in there as well.

• sherri1058
    6 years ago

I agree that getting rid of the pantry is probably not the best idea. More counter space isn't going to help with the clutter, it just spreads it out (and gives you room for more clutter) :) Then there is the question of what is in your pantry now, and what will you do when you don't have that storage space any more. If you have a well organized pantry is would be super easy to store your blender and juicer in there at counter height for easy to grab access. I don't know if it would work for you, but some people have electrical outlets in their pantries for small appliances. Have you thought about switching from a knife block to a magnetic strip?

• sofaspud
    6 years ago
    Another option would be to keep half the pantry. If I didn't replace the cabs and then tried to get an as close as possible match to put under and over the new counter, I'd paint. If the existing cabs are not solid wood, you can't stain anyway, and if they are, you'd have to strip and sand. If you do paint, it's all about prepping for painting and using good paint. If you skimp on the paint, you will likely have peeling issues later. There is paint formulated for painting cabinets. I like either BM or SW paint.
  • jhmarie
    6 years ago

This is my kitchen which I show you because it has similar cabinets. I also have a "wood kitchens" idea book which has some refreshed kitchens if you want to see other countertop / backsplash options if you are thinking of making those changes.

https://www.houzz.com/photos/my-pics-work-in-progress-phvw-vp~93784356

I have about the same number of perimeter cabinets - and no pantry. I replaced my kitchen table with the island a few years ago and am very thankful for the extra counter space - though I have a dining room too. Do you have room for a portable cart to bring out to give you a bit more work space? I took my knives out of the block and put them in a drawer. I don't use my blender much, so it is in the back of the corner cabinet.

I also looked for matching cabinets because originally I thought I was going to need a farm sink base cabinet for my sink, but I found a short apron sink that I could use on my standard, original sink base cabinet. I did rework the microwave cabinet to plate rail and spice boxes - and stained to match (also my hood) so staining to match can be done. If you are not experienced in that, bring in a refinisher to make cabinets match. At the time I was looking, Omega had a similar door style - with solid wood doors.

• partim
    6 years ago

I like the idea keeping the pantry doors and re-configuring the inside so that there is an electrical outlet and counter where the small appliances can be used. It's a cleaner look and much less expensive.

If that doesn't work for you, I think you need new cabinets throughout.

Think about how you can create counter space. Your knife storage takes up a lot of counter space. My knives are in a drawer with slots for the knives. Or mount a magnetic knife holder on the wall, right at the food prep area. Similarly, your cutting board is so large and heavy that it takes up counter space. I have several thin ones (plastic and wood) that go into a shallow drawer when I am not actively using them. A bonus of the plastic ones is that they go into the dishwasher. I think the red thing on your counter is a draining board? Mine is cloth, and hangs with 2 loops on the inside of the lower cupboard door below my sink, unless something is draining on it. Little things like this can add up to more counter space.

• jimandanne_mi
    6 years ago

Your kitchen looks exactly like that of the condo I lived in for 30 years, except it didn't have the pantry. What are the measurements of the part of the kitchen with the cabinets, how wide is the pantry, and what are the measurements of the eating area? It looks like yours may measure the same as mine did.

Is there just food and kitchen stuff in the pantry, or does it include cleaning supplies for other rooms?

It would be very helpful if you could supply a floor plan showing doors, windows, and adjacent rooms.

I mentally considered many ideas over the years of how to improve using the space, but in the end remodeled for resale.

Anne

• czarinalex
    6 years ago

Another option to gain some counter space while keeping your pantry... get a roll around cart to put against the wall where your dinette set is. If you get something narrow, you can still have the dinette set usable.

• Denita
    6 years ago

I wouldn't remove the pantry either. I would take out the current shelving and add back well designed drawers, shelving and some cabinets to achieve an organized workable space to house the small appliances on your countertops. Something like one of these below:

^The pantry is to the left with the bifold doors completely open so you see the interior shelving and cabinetry.

^Pantry with pocket doors and shelving, baskets and dedicated space for small appliances.

• backyardfeast
    6 years ago

We did what others are suggesting with our large pantry in a small kitchen. We didn't have the money for the full gut that we wanted to do, so instead we built a counter with large shelves below and above, and moved the mixer, flour mill and coffee machine/grinder on to the counter. We gave the walls a fresh coat of paint and the whole thing functioned brilliantly. It became a selling point for the house, and the next owners can do the full gut, or they can do another small upgrade, like new laminate counters and/or painting the solid wood cabinet fronts.

• PRO
    MDLN
    6 years ago

Would not remove that great pantry.

Would switch to an under cabinet knife block.

• damiarain
    6 years ago

Another alternative for knife block is the Bodum knife rack - it's less than 3" wide, but ours easily holds 3x7" bladed knives, a giant bread knife, a smaller 4" bladed knife and a pair of kitchen scissors (example pic from the internet)

• Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    6 years ago

Oooooh, I LOVE the under cabinet knife block...

I can't stress organization enough. When we redid our kitchen, I/we planned out every location for each item. I knew I wanted a baking station and set up the peninsula with a bank of drawers and a cabinet lazy Susan for all of my baking items. Now everything I need is within reach and I don't even need to take a step to get it.

I would also second the suggestion of a portable or stationary island. From what I could see of your kitchen it appears that you are lacking a contiguous expanse of counter space. I know when either of us get going in the kitchen, having everything around us within reach becomes a prime need and a peninsula allows this for us. An island serves the same purpose and can offer cabinet storage as well.

If faced with a challenging cabinet, don't forget these clever cabinet organizers: corner-cabinet-storage-modern-feature-for-kitchen-appliances

We have one in a previously useless cabinet which has utterly transformed it. Within it we can now store the Griddler, the Atlas pasta machine, the Vita-Mix, the food processor and all its attachments, ravioli maker and the Waffle iron. It is simply amazing. There are many options along these lines. Explore your options, do lots of research, you won't regret it.

• functionthenlook
    6 years ago

I can see that you don't have much counter working space even with all the stuff on top gone it still isn't a lot of space and the space you do have is chopped up. I also would not get rid of the pantry. You would loose a lot of storage. I would ditch the table and run a floating counter top over to almost the door without blocking it . Tuck a couple stools under for seating and shelving above.

mdin- I never seen a knife block like that. I am going to look into it for my kitchen. I hate stuff on counters, I like my knives easy to grab and this looks like it will do the trick.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    6 years ago

I'd move the range into the pantry space, so that you have continuous prep counter between the sink and range, then house all the small appliances on the counter beside the fridge. Trade the OTR MW for a MW on a shelf beside the fridge.

• jhmarie
    6 years ago

I like Mama goose's idea. You could put a plate rail or open shelf where the microwave is and you would not even need to replace the range with a cabinet. Add some support for the countertop and add shelves and then use a curtain.

• roarah
    6 years ago

I would kill for a wide reach in pantry like yours. Where will you stow the items that are there now if you remove it?

light oak is very much on the cutting edge of design today. It is used differently yes but you can make simple updates to modernize your existing kitchen. I would start with de cluttering and paint. New oak kitchens are paired with charcoal and chocolates.

Your kitchen can be updated with just a chocolate wall paint or add charcoal countertops and white walls.

• Denita
    6 years ago

Excellent point roarah. Those insp pics you show are terrific!

• roarah
    6 years ago

Thanks, I found them in an article about kitchen trends for 2018/19. The white backlash has begun, it seems.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    6 years ago

Pay no attention. White will always be a popular choice - always has been, always will be.

• jimandanne_mi
    6 years ago

How many people normally use the kitchen and eating space? I assume there's a dining room elsewhere--how large is it, and is it directly through the door by the fridge?

My guess on the size of this room is that it's 8' across and about 9' long where the cabinets are, that the pantry has 6' of doors and it's about 18" deep, that the door wall to the balcony is 6' wide, and that the eating area is about 6.5' x 7'.

If you need the eating space, then full depth counters along the wall will take about 6" more that the pantry does, and you would be even more crowded trying to eat or get to the balcony. Also, you mentioned the need to watch costs--you will incur extra expense to tear out the pantry, repair the drywall, and possibly have to repair the floor and deal with electrical issues, unless the pantry was added after the kitchen was built.

I hated the bifold doors that came with my condo closets--they were awkward to open and get at things inside, didn't stay open as far as I needed them to, and they periodically came off their tracks--but maybe yours aren't a problem. You don't have space for pocket doors--would a rod with curtains that could hang down or be pulled back be too informal for your home? If you could get rid of the doors, it would be easy to do something like Denita showed in her second photo above, where you could put in a couple of 15" to 18" deep base cabinets that would not have to match the others that would give you a place to store and use some of your many small appliances. And look at all of the other places you'd have to store things!

I'd also get a rectangular table and put it against the wall and use that for counter space when preparing your meals, then clear it off when you're ready to sit down.

Just some thoughts until we get some more feedback from you.

Anne

• Denita
    6 years ago

PS: One more change: consider removing the dropped ceiling in the kitchen and replace the florescent fixtures with real lighting. That will make a big difference - in the ceiling height and the actual lighting.

• futura431
    6 years ago

I have these exact cabinets in my kitchen. They have been painted white (not by us) but they don't look great. Do you know where they are from by chance?

• roarah
    6 years ago

Anglophilia, white comes in and goes out of favor just like oak has come and gone. just as oak became the ubiquitous ""classic" choice of the 80s and 90s before people became bored of it they will also very soon tire of the Edwardian white kitchen from 2003 until 2015. For now many are tired of the same old same old white kitchen and moving to other things or back to other forgotten favorites.

It should not negate your like for white just as oak being on trend does not negate your distaste for oak. I have to remind you that the eighties white kitchens of yore are not classic any longer and very soon the 15 year old "somethings gotta give" kitchen is going to give way and be viewed as oh so 20010. Wether you love white kitchens or I love oak does not make either classic. All things date themselves eventually.

• roarah
    6 years ago

These white kitchens look a lot more age identifiable, i.e. " dated" than the posters oak ever has or will.

i do not dislike any of the kitchens shown here but to advice to always paint white for it will than be classic is not true.

• User
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thank you all for great comments and ideas. I do have a separate dinning room, but usually use it for more formal eating rather then everyday meals. I do need a seating space in that kitchen.
    The pantry is great for storing tons of items, but it is not organized well. Just has shelves, but I'm able to store all kinds of items. Slow cooker, large baking dishes, snacks, party supplies, containers with sugar, flour etc. I have tons of items there, which overloads it. I very much like the idea of investing into a redo of the inside structure.
    My idea with replacing pantry to a counter space was going to help with organizing items better.
    That drop ceiling will definitely go. I agree with you all, it's part of my budget now.
    Love the knifes storage idea with magnetic board..Thank you
    Also, I haven't thought of chocolate walls. The pics you posted look great roarah!
  • jhmarie
    6 years ago

futura431 - Many companies still make similar cabinets. I thought it would be easy to match mine, but I kept finding slight differences in the arch, in the door edge or trim around the panel and many had veneered doors and i wanted solid wood. The closest I found to mine was one carried by Omega - it was two years ago that I was looking. My cabinets were made by Medallion 20 years ago. (pics in my "my pics" idea book.) Medallion does not have the exact same door style anymore.

Stained and white cabinets will always be popular:) I see about equal number of both in new builds in my area. Natural white oak is up and coming. I don't see this as a backlash against white. Oak is a great material for cabinets - strong, stains well and quarter sawn white oak has interesting grain. The industry via HGTV should never have knocked it as a good choice for building cabinets. It is back because it makes a good cabinet.

My cabinets are oak and older and are not going to look trendy ever - I don't mind. Painting my walls chocolate - no way in heck. I achieved a light and airy kitchen even with wood cabinets. I have no desire to sink myself in chocolate wall depression:) I do not see people who like light kitchens going that direction.

• User
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Futura431, no idea where these cabinets came from. I believe these are the original cabinets from when the condo was build, late 70's.
  • roarah
    6 years ago

I think paint has less to do with light and airy as does natural light, of which Anna has a lovely abundance of. White in a north room looks dingy and grey rather than light and airy while a dark jewel tone can brighten a naturally dark room.

to me this is so much brighter and less dreary

Than this

• roarah
    6 years ago

Oh I so want a pantry! I think I might remove counters and cabinets to fit one.

• jhmarie
    6 years ago

lol - no roarah - I would take this:)

And if I had to choose between your choices - probably the old white kitchen - as a near sufferer of SAD who is slowly watching the days get longer:)

I won't hijack your post anymore Anna.

• herbflavor
    6 years ago

RE: usage at the small table:[how often,how many people, for what duration of use]...is not clearly stated. Your long wall is sink wall, yet two appliances are on other short wall. I would go ahead and take out pantry if you were so inclined.....bank up long wall with fridge, single sink, dishwasher and skooch range to left....get a drop leaf table and push it against the wall if it's just one or two seated people occasionally. You can increase counter depth on long wall and get more out of the area even with fridge placed on that side ....install cabinets out from wall. Do you want a better hood?

• Mrs Pete
    6 years ago

I'm with the majority here: Keep the pantry. It's the best storage you can get, and it's so much cheaper than installing cabinets /counter tops in that area. You've received some great ideas on streamlining things so you'll be fine with the counter top space you have -- and it looks like plenty to me.

Be careful of that under-cabinet knife block. I have that exact model, and I don't have the space to make it "swing away", so it faces forward 100% of the time.

Yes, white cabinets have always been "a thing" -- so have wood-tones.

• jimandanne_mi
    6 years ago

It would be very helpful to get more accurate responses and not waste people's time with suggestions that might not work, if measurements affecting the layout of the kitchen could be given.

Anne

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    6 years ago

Those cheap looking oak cabinets were never used in high end kitchens - never have been, probably never will be. They were always quite ordinary and mainstream - builder's grade stuff. Yes, there IS white builder's grade stuff out there, too. It's cheap and looks cheap... because it IS cheap. But quality white cabinets will still look good for decades to come if they are in a classic style. They've been around forever. Trendy? Sometimes, but who the heck wants trendy anyway?

• herbflavor
    6 years ago

ditto what anglo said....between replacing all cabinets and removing pantry you would be amazed what that long wall could be for function and looks. Ways to do a straight run with a custom ambience/function for your space: local cabinet maker...Ready to assemble as Scherrs or Conestoga...Ikea with substituting a door style...full custom from a kitchen design firm, but keep sizes and add-ons very basic. Sitting near window with view, and having a section, at least, of beautiful cabinets maybe with glass doors above..[hutch like] at that end as opposed to the white bifold doors...well-there would be no doubt in my mind.

• jhmarie
    6 years ago

Umm ... I have the same cabinets which have lasted twenty years and will last twenty more - solid wood doors and face frames - not trendy, but not "cheap" except in the eye of the beholder:)

Of course I do not have a high end kitchen - would not fit my lifestyle or personal "cottage" style. I come from a long line of cooks able to pull a good dinner out of an ordinary range and kitchen:)

I am not sure Op is looking for high end, but perhaps....

• Buehl
    6 years ago

First, as others have said, I would declutter. The clutter on the left side of the sink is making that counter useless -- and that's the Prep Zone side of the sink. The Prep Zone side would normally be used the most of all counterspace in the Kitchen -- and it's rendered useless b/c of the clutter.

(The DW side of the sink shroud be the Cleanup Zone -- a place for dirty dishes to be stacked, if needed; a place for drying dishes, etc.)

Decluttering...

• Knives...someone suggested a knife rack on the wall. Another option is in a drawer in a knife storage tray. In addition, do you really use all those knives? I found I use three the most, with an occasional 4th. I use: paring knife, chef's knife, & bread knife the most and occasionally I use a tomato knife. I would keep the knives I use the most easily accessible and put the other knives elsewhere (unless you have space for them all in their new location)
    • Blender...do you use it every day? If not, I'd put it away (pantry or drawer/cabinet)
    • I'd put the cutting board in the cabinet beneath the sink.
    • Tea Pot...is that used every day?
    • Other items on the sink and range counters...are they used every day?
    • I'd start by putting away everything that's not used every day.

Are you open to rearranging cabinets? I would actually rather see the DW on the left side of the sink and the Prep Zone counterspace on the right side. Why? For several reasons:

(1) To place the Prep Zone closer to the refrigerator

(2) To get the Prep Zone out of the major path into the Kitchen

(3) To place the dish storage on the perimeter where someone getting dishes for a snack or to set the table won't be in the way of someone preparing a meal

In fact, if you move the DW, then you might not have to shorten the pantry, but I probably would still take a couple feet off of it for additional storage and counterspace in the Cleanup Zone and, if needed, enough counterspace for a secondary Prep Zone.

Assuming the floor tiles are 4" x 12", the dimensions appear to be:

• 120" for sink wall cabinets:
      -- 24" cabinet
      -- 48" sink base
      -- 24" DW
      -- 24" cabinet
    • 72" for pantry, including the wall b/w it and the range wall cabinets
      -- Each full-door of the pantry doors is 33" wide
      -- So, a panel is half that = 16.5" (I.e., four 16.5" panels for the two doors)
    • 56" for the range counter run
      -- 18" cabinet
      -- 30" range
      -- 18" cabinet
      -- Pus another 1/8" or so for to 1/2" for the spacing on each side of the range...1/8" + 1/8" = 1/4" (or less)
    • 37" for refrigerator -- this is the biggest unknown since we cannot see the entire refrigerator.
    • Is there anything else on the range wall on the other side of the refrigerator?
    • 60" for the aisle b/w the two counter edges
    • 111" b/w the two back walls (behind the range & behind the sink)?

Are the measurements close?

• roarah
    6 years ago

The posters cabinets are most likely real wood and IKEA would not be a quality upgrade but it would look trendy. She also mentioned budget. Paint and stain are in that budget as well as counters and a few cabinets in the pantry if she opts to get rid of that.

Stripping the finish might give a look like the kitchen jh posted last. it is a classic look and high lights real wood vs white, grey or expresso RTA shiny partical board. I would refinish or paint your cabinets before replacing them with cheap ones.

• futura431
    6 years ago

@roarah I think refinished cabinets always looks like that - refinished. Unless you spend the big bucks it never comes out right. And it's my understanding that you really have to spend the BIG bucks (10K or more) to get it right. We have both kinds in our kitchen - painted cabinets and an IKEA pantry type storage unit made from cabinets and I can tell you, without a hint of uncertainty that the Ikea ones look better, newer, nicer, more modern, and less cheap than the ones that have been painted and are cracking and chipping every which way. Now. All that said, we didn't paint them ourselves, and have no idea who did, but I'm sure it wasn't a 10K job. You can put a dress on a donkey but...it's still a donkey. Painting over old crappy cabinets (not saying OP's are crappy) but painting over them doesn't do anything long term but make them look nice for the short term. My two cents.

• roarah
    6 years ago

For the record I do not dislike IKEA, I have used pax in my master, and white cabs in my lower level kitchen. They are fine for what they are. They are however not a great deal for what they are and as we do not have a budget for the op I am assuming they might not be in her budget.

By refinish I mention restrain darker or lighter. I have seen nice stripped oak cabinets and darker stained cabs. The finish is definitely more durable than painted. They sell navy and grey stains that I would love to see used on older oak inplace of paint.

i actually feel she should leave the cabs as are until she can redo the kitchen fully. That was why I suggested white or chacolate paints for walls to freshen the room

• jhmarie
    6 years ago

I refinished my own cabinets (pics in my "my pics" idea book.) It is a lot of work and my kitchen is small (did not do the island). I did not change the color much because the interior doors are similar color, and I don't dislike the tone - changing lightbulbs can affect the tone of wood cabinets and worth trying different bulbs before attempting to refinish just because of stain color. My mother and sister both had cabinets refinished reasonably - might be their location in the midwest.

The last kitchen I posted is probably quarter sawn white oak - less red then red oak and less grain when cut that way and growing in popularity.

The OP wants to keep cost down and does not seem to mind her cabinet style. I live in the midwest and many of my friends and relatives have similar cabinets - none plan to paint or remodel - it just is not a big deal to them that their cabinets and kitchens are older - most have a great layout. OP's layout is not great - lack of counter space. A good number of possible ideas have been given and she can pick some depending on her budget and style.

• Amber Lynn
    6 years ago
    Maybe instead of completely removing the pantry consider a farmhouse door and some additional drywall to redo the pantry doors. I don’t have a pantry in my kitchen and envy people who do. It’s such a great way to store food, kitchen appliances and anything else if needed.
  • herbflavor
    6 years ago

Re:"anything else" for a small kitchen pantry. As there will be seating, and many newer cabinets store like a pantry, perhaps in choosing to eliminate the pantry, replace ALL cabinets , ...the "anything else" could be found other places to be stored.. in basement? hallway closet? this is certainly an evaluation that needs to be done by the owner at the onset of the project. I do not see trekking into a small closed in kitchen to get behind the louvered doors for?toilet paper? cleaning supplies? dog food? Holiday dishes?..when the goal is more counter space, ambience for requisite seating .....With a desirable, appealing, IMPROVED kitchen, some alternate locations for things can happily find other spots in a dwelling. A kitchen remodel is an opportunity on several levels. One thing not yet known is the "other dining area" and what can be done, as under utilization in that location may be an issue.

• roarah
    6 years ago

Are you handy with time to Kill?stripping and staining navy or grey looks nice in these pictures.

• rantontoo
    6 years ago

You should be able to run outlets at counter height in your existing pantry for a reasonable expense. Then if you put in a counter as deep as the pantry with shelving above and below the counter, you will have a permanent spot for those counter top appliances.

is the dining area in a space next to the kitchen? Would taking out a wall or creating a wide opening from the kitchen to the dining area make that area more accessible so that you would use the dining area for eating and then be able expand cabinets into the current kitchen table space?

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio