SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jacquel13

Island size/layout advice and recessed lighting placement--Help!

jacquel13
6 years ago

Hello all!

My husband is remodeling our 1948 kitchen, and the drawing that follows shows what we have done so far. We were fairly limited with the placement of the stove, refrigerator, etc. because of the three large windows and entry to the garage already in the room. Thusly, we are pretty set with this kitchen layout.

We would like to add an island, and would love advice on how large it should be and where we should place it. We have 8 children ages 13-newborn, and are constantly in the kitchen. I am a stay at home mom and home school our kids, so I really mean we are always in the kitchen! We also entertain fairly regularly, and often have many college students over for meals as my husband is a professor.

Given that there will be many people in the kitchen on a regular basis, how large would you make an island and how many seats would you attempt to put there? If we are seating young children, can we have any play with the 24" per seat rule? How wide should we make the aisles? We are beginning to wonder if we should even have an island at all, although it seems we could fit a small one and still have a reasonable flow. I am also hoping to use that space for more storage and a simple prep area for things coming out of the fridge, since we could not find another way to fit a large fridge nearer to our ovens and stove. We know we don't want a sink or stove in the island, as we'd rather have a large flat space.

Thoughts or advice?

Also, we are thinking that if we do put in the island, we would likely place two pendants above it. The rest of the kitchen will be lit with 4" led recessed lights and under cabinet lighting on the sides of the kitchen. The stretch of counter with the two large windows will not have any uppers, so no under cabinet lighting. We will rely on all recessed lights for that area.

Can anyone help with placement of the 4" recessed lighting cans? The only other light besides the pendants will be the lights built into the hood above the range top. Trying to figure out where to place the recessed lights is incredibly overwhelming, and the more advice I read, the more confused I am about where the lights should go. Sigh.

Thank you all so much for any advice! If the image is unclear/unreadable, let me know and I will try again.

Comments (20)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County