SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aunttuna324

Asbestos Dust Exposure

Nathan Lopez
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

First, I apologize for the long post. I've been sick with worry that I've been exposed to asbestos laden dust. I recently purchase a home that was built in 1920. It's been undergoing some renovations (I do not currently live in it) and materials have been disturbed or removed that likely contain asbestos. The first floor has popcorn ceilings, which were all laminated with new drywall. However, before they were covered the contractor removed a portion of it to run new electrical wires. He didn't raise any concern about the ceiling containing asbestos, and frankly I didn't know popcorn ceiling even could until someone mentioned it so me. I was there when he first started removing it to run the electrical, and it was VERY dusty. In addition, all of the flooring was removed to install new hardwood flooring. Some old tile had been removed, which I now am under the impression was VAT tile. They covered the old sub-floor with a new one, and installed the new hardwoods over those. At this point all of the new floors are in and covering all of the old floor.

It is only after someone asking if I had the tiles tested for asbestos (which was literally over the holiday weekend) did I start to do some research on my own and realize that both the tile and popcorn ceiling are likely laden with asbestos. This is my first property, I'm sick with anxiety that the air is laden with asbestos fibers. Should I call an asbestos mitigation company to test the air? And if the air has asbestos dust, is it possible to remove all the fibers? The old adhesive is not technically encapsulated, just covered. Is it unsafe to live in the house? There is some existing popcorn ceiling that remained in the ceiling into the basement -- should I have it tested?

I've spent probably a total of 2-3 hours in the home since the renovations have begun. I feel absolutely terrible I didn't take the proper precautions. But I can't change the past, just looking for the next step.

Comments (2)