SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rockybird

What are your thoughts on this artwork?

rockybird
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I purchased them from Anthropologie. I cant decide if I like them or not. My home is midcentury with lots midcentury vintage items. Anthro. has a great return policy. I bought them because they came framed, ready to go and had some pink in them. I’m really wanting some pink in my decor right now. These would go in guest rooms.

These three are clearly just cheap, but they do brighten the guest room. It was hard to get a pic as they have some sort of highly reflective surface. I really like no. 1. I was thinking of putting at least one in a bathroom:

This one I like the colors, but I think the signature is not real and I feel like it cheapens the painting. I could be wrong though.

This one is just simple framed print I think:

This one I do like and it’s pretty big:

Pic of my house:

Comments (40)

• Allison0704
    6 years ago

First picture (3 smalls), I like 1 and 3, but not sure the frames all go with your house. I also like the last/larger one but, again, not crazy about the frame.

What about something like these, by Kim Kreis (Kim Kreis Art on Facebook). She does commissioned work as well.

imo, it's better to wait on something you love and have fun collecting. I follow you on Instagram and your current collection is fun/reminds me of you and your house. Don't buy something just to fill a space.

*edited to add: after looking at Instagram again, I don't think any of yours or mine would make you happy at your house.

Not your style, but I love her flower ladies.

rockybird thanked Allison0704
  • Related Discussions

Not your usual art work

Q

Comments (5)
    I had forgotten about peyote stitch, although when looking it up, I did remember "gourd stitch". I admire the patience required to use pointy pencils instead of beads! For those interested, scroll down link for a very clear explanation of how it's done... Here is a link that might be useful: peyote stitch
    ...See More

Please need your inputs in simplifying this room or changing art works

Q

Comments (3)
    You have only posted one image, but I would suggest the room would look better with the sofa on one of the long walls, maybe under the picture on the wall with the TV in the corner?? That's not really the best chandelier for this room.
    ...See More

What does this mean on art work?

Q

Comments (5)
    It appears to me it says copyright 1905 and the artist's name is Geo. (George) Howell Gay. Can't make out the publisher? below the copyright.
    ...See More

Art Art Art! Need suggestions for on or above fireplace decor.

Q

Comments (17)
    I post accessories because it would matter as to your art.... https://www.etsy.com/listing/915171928/18x18-throw-pillow-cover-thick-linen?click_key=00a9f6202d0d370c94866a7792e57679f5864f1f%3A915171928&click_sum=13fd9e20&ref=internal_similar_listing_bot-6 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- https://www.etsy.com/listing/877047017/william-morris-throw-pillow-cover-morris?ref=listing_page_ad_row-5&pro=1&frs=1&listing_id=877047017&listing_slug=william-morris-throw-pillow-cover-morris&plkey=2181f9bb37e207d1eaef8b9df895fd763e6e75b4%3A877047017
    ...See More
  • rockybird
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks Allison and thanks for following me (I mean Zeek!) on ig!

You are absolutely right that I shouldn’t buy artwork just to buy it. I think that is what I s bothering me!

Those are beautiful pieces. I will look her work up. You got me thinking that I need to take one out of the guest room and see how it looks with the house.

• rockybird
    Original Author
    6 years ago

That one is really pretty! I like the blue!

Hmm...I think i need to return one or two of the anthro pieces...just not sure which ones...

I just bought this vintage one a few minutes ago ...

• Allison0704
    6 years ago

I like the small one on your new table, and the way it pulls the table color out of the art.

I enjoy the hunt as much as seeing the find, and don't mind taking my time.

rockybird thanked Allison0704
  • nutsaboutplants
    6 years ago

Not feeling the Anthro pieces, Rocky. I say keep looking.

rockybird thanked nutsaboutplants
  • sableincal
    6 years ago

Rockybird - I love pastel colors, especially if they're strong. In your top photo, I like the one on the right least; the other two would be keepers for me; the second one - meh; the fourth perhaps as a companion for the third, which of course I like a lot. Those two are very good for a guest room.

When I can't resist a picture but don't know where to put it, it goes either in the guest room or laundry room. The laundry room has strong pink trim and a door and can handle almost any kind of whimsical or floral art.

What I really like about your choices are those gold-tone frames. IMO gold frames add so much warmth; and depending on their style they can be anything from informal to elegant. So much prettier, IMO, than those heavy black frames that are ubiquitous now!

rockybird thanked sableincal
  • robo (z6a)
    6 years ago

I get the feeling you are trying to glam up your house a bit and I don’t think you’re going to be happy with solely dreary vintage geometrics. For me the artwork that you chose is all about the colour and if your guest rooms are going to incorporate some of those great pastels I say go for it. You can go for sort of an eclectic Key West or Sarasota Mod feeling. What I would love to see is a mood board of the guestrooms with the projected bedding and furniture — maybe some of that great turquoise and pink?

rockybird thanked robo (z6a)
  • rockybird
    Original Author
    6 years ago

You guys are the best! You all get why I am so torn!

nutsaboutplants- I agree - I’m not in love with them..I’m thinking I might only keep a couple...

sableincal-You mirrored my feelings exactly...I’m thinking of returning no. 3 on the first pic and the second photo...I’m glad you agree!

robo- Yes I want a little glam and I was totally attracted to the frames. I just dont want just pure vintage mcm. Here are mood boards for two of my guest rooms. To be honest, I’m not in love with the bed...

Guest room #1 (the dark dresser is actually a file cabinet that I would like to move out):

Guest room #2:

• rockybird
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Here’s a moodboard showing some pics of the house:

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    6 years ago

Frankly, I don't think any of them satisfy you totally which means you'll regret them later. Try e-bay, they have tons of original art, including oils that are more gutsy and captivating than what you're showing. Where you have that clock over the table might be a good place for a gallery wall of small oils or acrylics, which I would probably hang unframed.

I can see that you have fine pieces, and that the furniture itself is in a way treated as art, but just wondered if a simple rug would take away from the very spare, rather cold look of the rooms without minimizing the importance of each piece of furniture.

rockybird thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • jerseygirl_1
    6 years ago

I see George Braque and Miro not Anthropology. Check out EBay

rockybird thanked jerseygirl_1
  • jerseygirl_1
    6 years ago

All from Derrière Le Mirroir. 1950s and 60s. An art magazine. These are Lithographs.

• everdebz
    6 years ago

I have bought just for its simple look, cause I had the feeling I'd use it; I did in a hall area with more colorful items. I'd try them, and the one with table/and shapes is ok.

rockybird thanked everdebz
  • everdebz
    6 years ago

I like the 'confetti people' - seems to me! Could be contrasting with solid round mirror type..

• rockybird
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks guys! I think I will return a couple (no. 3 in first photo, and the second photo) and keep the rest. I may put them in laundry or guest rooms.

Ingrid- Thanks! I totally agree that I need some rugs but unfortunately it has to wait until the construction/remodel gets done because of the dust. I would love a pretty blue one for the living room, in front of the yellow credenza.

Thanks jersey girl! Those Miro’s Are really nice and would fit in great. Your lithographs are great.

Everdebz-I agree with you! I think I will keep at least those two!

• nutsaboutplants
    6 years ago

I hesitate to make specific suggestions, because art is so personal. Here are a few paintings with pastels or brighter/earthier colors and gold frame on ebth with the current bid amounts.

an original oil by Fremont Ellis currently at $1050.

Also an original by Frank Wilcox currently at $675

This one currently at $110

You didnt ask and and you may not be looking , but these glass art reminded me of your cheerful bright space. These and several others like these are also on ebth, ranging from$30 to around $100

rockybird thanked nutsaboutplants
  • everdebz
    6 years ago

Sometimes in a contemporary house, there is one large painting on a wall - and if you really wanted, and had space, it could 'warm up' with a few together...

• rockybird
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Nutsaboutplants - thanks! Those are really great. They give me some good ideas!

Thanks everdebz- I was thinking the same thing -maybe clustering a couple of them together in the guest room

• robo (z6a)
    6 years ago

Rocky, with your mood boards, I’m wondering if you would want to move the bedding and the lamps a little more glam/feminine? If it’s in the budget? Some velvet, some layers, some brass, sculptural lamps? just spitballing...

All of these photos had a little bit of a softer look to me…

rockybird thanked robo (z6a)
  • gsciencechick
    6 years ago

Your house is so spectacular, the Anthro art just don't fit in compared to your other pieces. Maybe the blue one, but I don't like the pastels. keep looking. I have found nice pieces of art at estate sales and the antique mall.

rockybird thanked gsciencechick
  • rockybird
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks guys!!! Robo, you totally get me! Those pics are exactly what I want! I love that second picture.

Unfortunately the bed, mattress and nightstand are virtually new. They have only been used a couple times. To be honest, I’m not happy with them. They seem too heavy. But I wonder if I could still use them and glam it up...maybe get rid of the dark heavy file cabinet (which looks like a dresser) and the orange bedspread (which is also new, but I dont like it-I should have returned it-the orange is too harsh). Here is a pic of the room with things I’d like to keep (although the lamp can go):

Thank you gcscience- I think you are right! I think I will return a couple of them...

• blfenton
    6 years ago

The only picture I immediately said yes, that will work, is the last one that jerseygirl posted. The ones from Anthropologie just don't do your house or your efforts justice.

It's fine to want them to go with your guest room but because of the strong MCM architecture/decorating of your home I would want that to follow into the rest of the space. BUT, I happen to love your home and have followed your changes so that could be my own love of your home speaking. :-)

• everdebz
    6 years ago

Your headboard is restrained in size [and pattern: none!] Why not try turning the larger, varied-shapes piece horizontally, yes. I don't get the problem in a way.

• everdebz
    6 years ago

As to the clock in dining area - I'd rather try the confetti [bottom piece]... bring color over from seating area...

• everdebz
    6 years ago

Now I see the orange - bring in blond/ barely-there wood, to blend?? Put orange on end of bed?

https://www.houzz.com/products/1x60w-table-lamp-w-maple-finish-and-satin-glass-by-eglo-brown-finish-prvw-vr~74349676

• everdebz
    6 years ago

Moodboard showed canvas with gold/orange - could that be modified [hmmm] for guest room's orange - do you like yellow maybe yellow lamp, or another color like light teal/aqua?

• rockybird thanked everdebz
  • rockybird
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you everdebz. These are great suggestions!!! Yes, maybe some blonde woods would help...definitely yellow! I would love a yellow lamp...

Here are two of the pics. I dont think they look too bad? Anyway, I think I will keep three or four of them for guest rooms/laundry/guest bathrooms and return two of them.

• lazy_gardens
    6 years ago

They are abstract, but a bit frilly and pastel for your house. Not strong enough to stand up to the rest of the stuff.

Don't buy for the sake of "decor" on the walls, take some time and buy what speaks to you.

• just_terrilynn
    6 years ago

You need paintings with more depth which would include some dark shades. That will make some of your lighter furnishings pop ( I said pop lol).

rockybird thanked just_terrilynn
  • eastautumn
    6 years ago

It sounds like you've already decided which ones to keep and which to return, but I just wanted to chime in and say that I like your choices and think they look great with the other colors and items in your cheerful home.

My favorites are the barn (on the left in the first pic), the one in the second picture (that no one else seems to like), and the "confetti people" piece. I also like the frames a lot., and wouldn't have guessed that the art was mass produced if you hadn't said so. All of them look happy and fun to me. I don't think every piece of art has to be original and deeply meaningful... Just brightening your day a little can be enough in my opinion.

I like your idea to use the keepers in your guest and laundry room. Makes me want to check out Anthropology for some colorful art when we set up our guest bedroom.

rockybird thanked eastautumn
  • rockybird
    Original Author
    6 years ago

everdbz- thank you!! I love that poster. The colors are great. I am going to look that one up!! I am really into mint, dark blue, pink and gold right now...lol probably not very midcentury!

justerrilyn - thank you! I fear you are right but I'm hoping in a guest room or laundry that they might work.

eastauntumn - thank you so much! :) I totally agree with you. I am going to keep the two you suggest and maybe the pink one posed with the side table.

• everdebz
    6 years ago

rockybird, go for it and make your own recipe!!! For me, I can get 'lost' in its mix of colors....

• everdebz
    6 years ago

One strong graphic [pillow] with confetti - dabs of art... :)

https://www.houzz.com/photos/lakeside-contemporary-atlanta-phvw-vp~5657766

• jerseygirl_1
    6 years ago

Rockybird, George Braque does a whole series of birds. You may want to look at those since you have birds. We have birds too.

• bpath
    6 years ago

Or Charley Harper?

• aprilneverends
    6 years ago

..not a masterpiece but have to share:) there's something very endearing about these two

and it's a rather big artwork I must say.

they sent it to me (Chairish. they send me updates on stuff I like) and I remembered your thread..

https://www.chairish.com/product/811070/vintage-original-oil-on-canvas-birds-painting-signed?guid=o6jb5b