SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jaxo_gw

Carpet vs hard floors

jaxo
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

The house has tile everywhere except bedrooms and living/dining area.

I'm ready to replace the old carpet in those areas, but now everyone says having no carpet in the house is the in thing to do.

People also say it's easier to clean hard floors than carpet, but my experience cleaning the kitchen, bathroom and hallway tile is the opposite. I have to first vacuum over the tile to pick up loose particles and then go over the same areas again with a steam mop to scrub whatever the vacuum doesn't pick up and then I have to wash the steam mop head.

I find this to be more work than vacuuming the bedroom and living room carpet once and then periodically having it professionally steam cleaned.

I also use the living room as a workout area and I would need to put down some kind of large pad over the hard floor if it wasn't carpeted.

I don't want more tile due to the installation cost and the mess involved in installing new tile, so if I wanted to go with hard floors, I would choose waterproof LVP for a less expensive and less messy install. LVP or wood floors are more delicate than carpet, so I would also need to deal with furniture pads to keep from denting, scratching and gouging the floors.

I'm leaning towards replacing the existing carpet with Smartstrand carpeting that is supposed to be made stain proof to the point of being able to withstand bleach and mustard spills that other carpets cannot handle. If I get a low-pile version of the carpet, it should be able to to be easily vacuumed with a lightweight cordless stick vac or Roomba device and I won't need to deal with any separate mats or throw rugs.

Is there still any reason why I should still go with hard floors throughout the entire house?

Is there any cleaning tool/appliance that works well with cleaning hard floors in one step instead of two?

Comments (34)