SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19760412

Quotes 12 - 22 - 17 : 1, Racine, Adams, Kellogg, Robinson, Colby, Var

User
6 years ago

Jean Racine Quotes
French - Dramatist December 22, 1639 - April 21, 1699

There are no secrets that time does not reveal.
Jean Racine

There is nothing so easy but that it becomes difficult when you do it with reluctance.
Jean Racine

On the throne, one has many worries; and remorse is the one that weighs the least.
Jean Racine

A tragedy need not have blood and death; it's enough that it all be filled with that majestic sadness that is the pleasure of tragedy.
Jean Racine

I embrace my rival, but only to strangle him.
Jean Racine

Nothing is so difficult but that it may be found out by seeking.
Jean Racine

Is a faith without action a sincere faith?
Jean Racine

Love is not a fire to be shut up in a soul. Everything betrays us: voice, silence, eyes; half-covered fires burn all the brighter.
Jean Racine

A noble heart cannot suspect in others the pettiness and malice that it has never felt.
Jean Racine

It behooves a prudent person to make trial of everything before arms.
Jean Racine

Without money honor is merely a disease.
Jean Racine

Hell, covering all with its gloomy vapors, has cast shadows on even the holiest eyes.
Jean Racine

The principal rule of art is to please and to move. All the other rules were created to achieve this first one.
Jean Racine

I have everything, yet have nothing; and although I possess nothing, still of nothing am I in want.
Jean Racine

Do not they bring it to pass by knowing that they know nothing at all?
Jean Racine

In fine, nothing is said now that has not been said before.
Jean Racine

If I could believe that this was said sincerely, I could put up with anything.
Jean Racine

I know the disposition of women: when you will, they won't; when you won't, they set their hearts upon you of their own inclination.
Jean Racine

I am a man, and nothing that concerns a man do I deem a matter of indifference to me.
Jean Racine

Many a time a man cannot be such as he would be, if circumstances do not admit of it.
Jean Racine

According as the man is, so must you humour him.
Jean Racine

It is a maxim of old that among themselves all things are common to friends.
Jean Racine

How good is God! How sweet his yoke!
Jean Racine

Justice in the extreme is often unjust.
Jean Racine

My death, taking the light from my eyes, gives back to the day the purity which they soiled.
Jean Racine

Thank the Gods! My misery exceeds all my hopes!
Jean Racine

Too much virtue can be criminal.
Jean Racine

I have pushed virtue to outright brutality.
Jean Racine

The glory of my name increases my shame. Less known by mortals, I could better escape their eyes.
Jean Racine

Abigail Adams Quotes
American - First Lady December 22, 1744 - October 28, 1818

Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and diligence.
Abigail Adams

If particular care and attention is not paid to the ladies, we are determined to foment a rebellion, and will not hold ourselves bound by any laws in which we have no voice, or representation.
Abigail Adams

We have too many high-sounding words, and too few actions that correspond with them.
Abigail Adams

If we mean to have heroes, statesmen and philosophers, we should have learned women.
Abigail Adams

Great necessities call out great virtues.
Abigail Adams

I've always felt that a person's intelligence is directly reflected by the number of conflicting points of view he can entertain simultaneously on the same topic.
Abigail Adams

If we do not lay out ourselves in the service of mankind whom should we serve?
Abigail Adams

I am more and more convinced that man is a dangerous creature and that power, whether vested in many or a few, is ever grasping, and like the grave, cries, 'Give, give.'
Abigail Adams

Do not put such unlimited power into the hands of husbands. Remember all men would be tyrants if they could.
Abigail Adams

Wisdom and penetration are the fruit of experience, not the lessons of retirement and leisure. Great necessities call out great virtues.
Abigail Adams

Arbitrary power is like most other things which are very hard, very liable to be broken.
Abigail Adams

Well, knowledge is a fine thing, and mother Eve thought so; but she smarted so severely for hers, that most of her daughters have been afraid of it since.
Abigail Adams

I begin to think, that a calm is not desirable in any situation in life. Man was made for action and for bustle too, I believe.
Abigail Adams

A little of what you call frippery is very necessary towards looking like the rest of the world.
Abigail Adams

Frank B. Kellogg Quotes
American - Politician December 22, 1856 - December 21, 1937

I know that military alliances and armament have been the reliance for peace for centuries, but they do not produce peace; and when war comes, as it inevitably does under such conditions, these armaments and alliances but intensify and broaden the conflict.
Frank B. Kellogg

It is not to be expected that human nature will change in a day.
Frank B. Kellogg

I share the opinion of those of broader vision, who see in the signs of the time hope of humanity for peace.
Frank B. Kellogg

There has not been a war in South America for fifty years, and I have every confidence that the countries of Central and South America are deeply in earnest in the maintenance of peace.
Frank B. Kellogg

There will always be disputes between nations which, at times, will inflame the public and threaten conflicts, but the main thing is to educate the people of the world to be ever mindful that there are better means of settling such disputes than by war.
Frank B. Kellogg

I know of no greater work for humanity than in the cause of peace, which can only be achieved by the earnest efforts of nations and peoples.
Frank B. Kellogg

I do not hesitate to say that the limitation on naval craft between the great naval powers was too high.
Frank B. Kellogg

There is no short and easy road, no magic cure for those ills which have afflicted mankind from the dawn of history.
Frank B. Kellogg

I believe that in the end the abolition of war, the maintenance of world peace, the adjustment of international questions by pacific means will come through the force of public opinion, which controls nations and peoples.
Frank B. Kellogg

If we will maintain our hope and confidence in the genius of our people, they will work out this problem, and their ability and industry will bring us back to normal conditions.
Frank B. Kellogg

I further value this gift as it gave me an opportunity to accept this distinguished honor in a country so devoted to this cause and whose history marks a wonderful chapter in world development.
Frank B. Kellogg

The fact that so many of your people are today residents and citizens of the United States, lending their influence to our civic and economic life, which has meant so much to our development.
Frank B. Kellogg

These measures may not constitute an absolute guarantee of peace, but, in my opinion, they constitute the greatest preventive measures ever adopted by nations.
Frank B. Kellogg

Each one of these treaties is a step for the maintenance of peace, an additional guarantee against war. It is through such machinery that the disputes between nations will be settled and war prevented.
Frank B. Kellogg

Public opinion shapes our destinies and guides the progress of human affairs.
Frank B. Kellogg

Have we so soon forgotten those four years of terrible carnage, the greatest war of all time; forgotten the millions of men who gave their lives, who made the supreme sacrifice and who today, beneath the soil of France and Belgium, sleep the eternal sleep?
Frank B. Kellogg

To be sure, in some instances these proceedings have been unconstitutional, but we must remember that it is not the first time since a war that there have been changes in governments by such methods.
Frank B. Kellogg

It is by such means as the prize offered by your Committee that the attention of the world will be focused and that men and women will be inspired to greater efforts in the interest of peace.
Frank B. Kellogg

Competition in armament, both land and naval, is not only a terrible burden upon the people, but I believe it to be one of the greatest menaces to the peace of the world.
Frank B. Kellogg

It is idle to say that nations can struggle to outdo each other in building armaments and never use them. History demonstrates the contrary, and we have but to go back to the last war to see the appalling effect of nations competing in great armaments.
Frank B. Kellogg

Adequate defense has been the catchword of every militarist for centuries.
Frank B. Kellogg

It is true not all has been accomplished that the earnest advocates would desire, but a start has been made.
Frank B. Kellogg

France and Italy have not yet signed this treaty or agreed to naval limitation as between those nations, but I have confidence that in time they will do so.
Frank B. Kellogg

I know of no more important subject to the peace of Europe and the world than the reasonable reduction of armaments, especially in Europe, and of naval armaments throughout the world.
Frank B. Kellogg

There are but few naval powers, but there are many land powers.
Frank B. Kellogg

Certain it is that a great responsibility rests upon the statesmen of all nations, not only to fulfill the promises for reduction in armaments, but to maintain the confidence of the people of the world in the hope of an enduring peace.
Frank B. Kellogg

I have often heard it said that the United States is isolated and is not interested in European affairs. I assure you that this is not the case.
Frank B. Kellogg

Edwin Arlington Robinson Quotes
American - Poet December 22, 1869 - April 6, 1935

I shall have more to say when I am dead.
Edwin Arlington Robinson

I don't say what God is, but a name That somehow answers us when we are driven To feel and think how little we have to do With what we are.
Edwin Arlington Robinson

For when a woman is left too much alone, sooner or later she begins to think;- And no man knows what then she may discover.
Edwin Arlington Robinson

Love must have wings to fly away from love, and to fly back again.
Edwin Arlington Robinson

He knows much of what men paint themselves would blister in the light of what they are.
Edwin Arlington Robinson

She knows as well as anyone that pity, having played, soon tires.
Edwin Arlington Robinson

Youth sees too far to see how near it is To seeing farther.
Edwin Arlington Robinson

Bainbridge Colby Quotes
American - Public Servant December 22, 1869 - April 11, 1950

The test of good citizenship is loyalty to country.
Bainbridge Colby

An intelligent and conscientious opposition is a part of loyalty to country.
Bainbridge Colby

I am deeply concerned with the diminution of the teaching strength of the country as a result of the disproportionately low salaries that are paid to teachers throughout the country.
Bainbridge Colby

The social and industrial structure of America is founded upon an enlightened citizenship.
Bainbridge Colby

It is a high patriotic duty that we support and sustain the men who have been placed in position of difficulty, burden, responsibility, and even danger as the result of our suffrages.
Bainbridge Colby

Loyalty will not permit envy, hate, and uncharitableness to creep into our public thinking.
Bainbridge Colby

Thus, only in a hopeful and confident temper, in a proud and constructive spirit, will we rescue the present and safeguard the future of our beloved country.
Bainbridge Colby

We must be loyal to the forum of our government.
Bainbridge Colby

And one cannot discharge the duty of loyalty without the patient and an open minded study of the institution that marked the country and defined its character.
Bainbridge Colby

America stands for individual liberty, but that means an ordered liberty.
Bainbridge Colby

A liberty subject to law and subordinate to the common welfare.
Bainbridge Colby

Americanism demands loyalty to the teacher and respect for his lesson.
Bainbridge Colby

We must stifle the voice of hatred and faction.
Bainbridge Colby

That does not mean that we must forego just and fair criticism, or refrain from opposition to policies which are debatable or which do not command our approval.
Bainbridge Colby

But we must not, if we are loyal, disperse our energies in a partisan warfare that is waged without regard to its consequences to the well being, security, or honor of the country.
Bainbridge Colby

Like pictures, men should be judged by their merits and not by their defects.
Bainbridge Colby

Edgard Varese Quotes
American - Composer December 22, 1883 - November 6, 1965

Music is organized sound.
Edgard Varese

Music, which should pulsate with life, needs new means of expression, and science alone can infuse it with youthful vigor.
Edgard Varese

I don't want to write any more for the old Man-power instruments and am handicapped by the lack of adequate electrical instruments for which I now conceive my music.
Edgard Varese

Contrary to general belief, an artist is never ahead of his time but most people are far behind theirs.
Edgard Varese

Everyone is born with genius, but most people only keep it a few minutes.
Edgard Varese

Our musical alphabet is poor and illogical.
Edgard Varese

I dream of instruments obedient to my thought and which with their contribution of a whole new world of unsuspected sounds, will lend themselves to the exigencies of my inner rhythm.
Edgard Varese

There is an idea, the basis of an internal structure, expanded and split into different shapes or groups of sound constantly changing in shape, direction, and speed, attracted and repulsed by various forces.
Edgard Varese

I was not influenced by composers as much as by natural objects and physical phenomena.
Edgard Varese

I have just begun a work in which an important part is given to a large chorus and with it I want to use several of your instruments - augmenting their range as in those I used for my Equatorial - especially in the high range.
Edgard Varese

Comment

Sponsored
    More Discussions