SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
palimpsest

Unfitted kitchens, carpet, Cote de Texas.

palimpsest
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

So in various discussions on trends and such, the following things have come up. The Cote de Texas kitchen with its puddled cabinet curtains, wall-to-wall vs. hardwood and unfitted kitchens.

I think these are all tied together because of cleanliness or cleaning.

These are my thoughts.

I like wall-to-wall carpet in bedrooms. I use it on stairs but it's not my favorite...I just think it's safer. I don't think wall-to-wall is a virtual cesspool. But, but, but. We don't wear shoes in the bedroom. We don't eat meals in the bedroom. We vacuum probably every three days. The beds have no "under the bed": The mattresses sit on closed platforms and the bed in the sloped floor bedroom was scribed to fit. So I am sure it gets dust embedded in any carpet, but it doesn't have much opportunity to get "gross" or "filthy" which are the popular descriptors by the anti-carpet bunch.

We also have anti mite covers on the mattresses and pillows. In the bathrooms we don't use rugs. We use towel-like mats that go in the wash with towels which probably get washed every second use. Our towels are threadbare in a matter of months.

With regard to fitted and unfitted kitchens and free standing vanities and bathtubs: I like the look of these but I am probably the Anti-fitted Anti-freestanding sort (even my beds aren't really freestanding). I am just finishing the third bathroom and almost everything is coved: horizontal and vertical: walls, floor line, perimeter of the vanity top and shower shelves. Almost no hard corners anywhere. And the vanity I am just finished doesn't have a toe kick. We built the toekick on the floor and tiled it, with coves, into place.

Now I am thinking of doing the same thing in the kitchen, coving the floors up onto the walls and base of the cabinets. Tiled floor under the sink. Built in fridge, wall oven built in cooktop, coved countertops. No crevices. Maybe a hose and a drain. Actually we are not allowed. A client of mine looked into kitchen and bath floors constructed like a waterproof shower base or a garage floor with drains and I don't think they were allowed in our area.

The Cote de Texas kitchen with those (ridiculous) puddled cabinet curtains made me think of all that.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County