SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amylou321

Being a grown up....

amylou321
6 years ago

Froggeds post about childhood food got me thinking...what else did you do completely different than how you were raised?

Me:

I don't go to church at all anymore. We were raised in a strict Catholic home and it was hammered down our throats that it didn't matter if we got anything out of going to church, it only mattered that we went. Now that I'm out from under their thumb,I don't go and get very irritated when my sister nags me to go with her.

I don't make beds. I never understood it. But it was one of those things that we had to do before going to school or Lord help us when we got home. I also only use a bottom sheet that I change daily. It used to drive mom batty that the top sheet in my bed was always kicked onto the floor every morning. She would never dream of just using a bottom sheet. It was one of her "things."

I have stuff everywhere. My home is clean,but my parents hated clutter. Anything out of place was a disaster. It doesn't bother me as long as it's not in the way. I don't have a lot of stuff to clutter up the house anyway,but if I did,it wouldn't bother me. I will say that their house is probably the cleanest house on the planet.

I don't deny myself anything that I can afford. My mom came to my house once and teased me about the "fancy" toilet paper and all the name brands in my kitchen. She also exclaimed at how warm and cozy my house is. She said she doesn't know where I get "it" from. I buy what I want. SO does too. As long as the bills are paid, what's the issue? To me,being cool and comfortable in the summer and warm and cozy in the winter is important to me. What's the point in having air conditioning if you're still hot or a heater if your still cold? What's the point in buying a cheap food product that's not as good as a name brand? When I explained that my parents, I got a look of resigned disgust . Oh well.

We were not allowed any pets. Dad doesn't even like a stray cat passing through their yard and even gets irritated at birds and squirrels. I, and all of my siblings, for thay matter,have multiple pets. I have 5 dogs, most of my siblings have cats, and one sister has dogs,cats,rabbits,goats,chickens,cows and an evil cockatoo named Scooter.

What about all of you? Did you turn out totally different or do you have the same values and priorities that your parents had? This kind of stuff is interesting to me.....

Comments (32)