SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chi83

My first crochet project

Chi
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I just finished my very first crochet project! It's a princess blanket for my 1 year old niece. Her mother (my SIL) has a Disney princess theme obsession so I think she will like it! It's supposed to be the Belle dress. I don't expect she will really use it yet but maybe in a year or two. :)

I'm mailing it out tomorrow. I have a surprise matching adult sized one for my SIL that is nearly done but it won't be ready by tomorrow, so I'll mail it in January.

It's in the wash now. Crossing my fingers it stays together!

Comments (49)

• glenda_al
    6 years ago

Congratulations! Beautiful work!

Chi thanked glenda_al
  • Chi
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you!

• Related Discussions

Need help finding a specific color of yarn!

Q

Comments (7)
    Thanks for that link. That posting already sold. I have contacted that person to ask them if they might have anymore or if they would pass on my quandary to the person who purchased that item from them to see if they would sell it to me! *laugh* Yes I'm desperate! I went to the store today to look for a close match but everything is either too light or too dark. I've now learned to purchase more than you think you will need. I guess this is how people end up with a stash of random yarns!!! Did you find it anywhere else for sell? I was unable too.
    ...See More

I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, could you help?

Q

Comments (3)
    Bri, if I am understanding you correctly, I wouldn't worry about the bit of slant you are getting with the cluster stitches. They do sort of lean to the left. It might help if the loop you pull through the last bunch of loops to make the cluster come together is a little loose - make it a teensy bit larger than you usually do. When you come back on the next row it will be easier to make your stitch into it. If this is not what your problem is, can you be more specific?
    ...See More

Need help starting crochet project

Q

Comments (7)
    I usually have trouble starting projects, and often start them 2-3 times before I get the hang of it. Partly I think this is because I work in the evenings when I am already tired, and also the light is not as good. I've got the afghan going now, although I did rip out a good bit yesterday and did it over. Thanks, all! Merry Christmas to all my "friends" here on the Knitting Forum.
    ...See More

My first knitted project!

Q

Comments (14)
    Wow, the stitches are so even! I am so glad to see the surge in knitting popularity. With that has come to be so many neat yarns available now. Minnie, I couldn't crochet with the fuzzy fun fur either, but it is much easier to knit with. Rebecca
    ...See More
  • Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)
    6 years ago

Very pretty, love it.

Chi thanked Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)
  • natesg
    6 years ago

I have been crocheting baby blankets for the last several years for a charity but know I could not do anything as beautiful as you did. It’s amazing for a first project. You should be very proud.

Chi thanked natesg
  • Summer
    6 years ago

Well done, Chi. I think your niece will treasure that for a long time.

Chi thanked Summer
  • phoggie
    6 years ago

WOW...awesome, especially for your first project!

Chi thanked phoggie
  • Chi
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I bet you could, Natesg! If you can do a single crochet, double crochet and half double crochet, you can do this!

Thank you for the kind words everyone, I really appreciate it!

• User
    6 years ago

Job well done!

Chi thanked User
  • Alisande
    6 years ago

Wow--that looks very complicated (and beautiful) for a first project! You should be proud!!

Chi thanked Alisande
  • mamapinky0
    6 years ago

That is beautiful. I'm sure it will be treasured. Great job.

Chi thanked mamapinky0
  • Chi
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks everyone. I have 3 other princess blankets to try next. :)

• User
    6 years ago

Oh wow! Great job Chi!!! That’s not an easy pattern for a first timer! Your stitches look nice and even. Dryers tend to change the texture of the yarn, so when I wash my projects for the first time, I wash them gently by hand and then block them on a towel and let them air dry. That way they dry in shape and still have a nice new feel to them.

I’m in the middle of making bun hats at the request of my daughter and an afghan for a friend. Oh what fun!!!

Chi thanked User
  • Chi
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks Lukki. The blanket survived the delicate wash cycle (no dryer) but a few of my weaved-in ends came out. I'll tuck them back in and hopefully they will stay. Just the last inch or so.

• ritamay91710
    6 years ago

That's super cute, can't believe it's your first one. Great job!

Chi thanked ritamay91710
  • bengardening
    6 years ago

I am another one who cant believe that is your first project. It looks perfect and is beautiful.

Chi thanked bengardening
  • yeonassky
    6 years ago

it's lovely. love the color . And it was your first attempt.! That will be treasured for sure:-). You must sign and date it in some way. :-)

Chi thanked yeonassky
  • Chi
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I hope it will be treasured. The patterns come in various sizes so I will keep making them as long as she's into princesses. I worry they will unravel.

Unfortunately they live in Florida so blanket season is short!

It is my first completed project but I had to unravel and redo parts multiple times. Understanding the pattern was definitely the hardest part!

• anoriginal
    6 years ago

very cute but... how does it work?? is that a loop that goes over head (around neck) and blanket part just lays over your lap and legs. if so, i don't wanna be an alarmist, but that could very easily be a hazard to a kid.

Chi thanked anoriginal
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    6 years ago

Nicely done! And that's your first project? Wow!

Chi thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • janey_alabama
    6 years ago

WOW! Your first project is wonderful! I have crocheted for a few years & still can't make anything like that. I can make dish cloths, hot pads/trivets & I have made a few baby afghans. But nothing like that, I am hanging my head in shame-LOL!

Chi thanked janey_alabama
  • gfsd
    6 years ago

Beautiful! My granddaughter would LOVE that :-)

Chi thanked gfsd
  • ilovecomputers
    6 years ago

That's adorable. I'm sure she and her family will treasure it.

Chi thanked ilovecomputers
  • User
    6 years ago

Chi, there are lots of ways to weave your ends in but some work better than others (IMO). This video published by Red Heart shows the way I’ve had the most success with and might help.

Weaving your ends in

Chi thanked User
  • linda_6
    6 years ago

That is beautiful for a first project. I love it.

Chi thanked linda_6
  • happy2b…gw
    6 years ago

Your princess blanket is adorable. Learning to crochet has been on my wish list for some time. As a teen, three different master crocheters tried to teach me. Trying to teach myself has not gone well either. I have not given up yet. I am hoping that I do have the crochet gene, but it just has not awakened yet.

Chi thanked happy2b…gw
  • Hareball
    6 years ago

lukkiirish weaving in ends is the part I hate the most about crocheting or knitting. I'll have to watch the video you posted. :)

Chi thanked Hareball
  • Jasdip
    6 years ago

I recently finished an afghan. I made dishcloths last year, I'll have to make some more, if I remember how to do it. :-)

That's quite a pattern for the first time! You did a fantastic job, I don't think I'd even try making it.

My afghan was made of single rows, no turning, and the ends were to be left as a fringe. I don't like a fringe so I weaved them all in. To hopefully stop it from coming apart, I weaved the ends along the top row of stitches so that I crocheted over it with the next row.

Chi thanked Jasdip
  • Chi
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Anoriginal, the arms go through the loops, and the blanket rests on the lap. It looks bigger in the pic than it is and there's no way a baby head could fit through the arm holes. I wouldn't give it to an infant but it's also a loose knit and breathable. I appreciate your concern though! Safety is definitely the top consideration and I won't be offended if SIL wants to wait a year or two.

Here's a pic of from the pattern maker showing how little ones wear it.

• OutsidePlaying
    6 years ago

So cute, Chi! And very well done for your first!

Chi thanked OutsidePlaying
  • Chi
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Happy, I tried unsuccessfully in the past to teach myself, but a few months ago I decided to try again. It's helpful with the many resources and videos out there.

I used this website (first 7 videos) and just did one stitch at a time, and practiced rows and rows of them. Reading the blanket pattern was challenging at first as it had a lot of abbreviations and terminology but now it looks familiar. Just takes practice!

http://www.sewrella.com/crochet-beginner-series/

• sheilajoyce_gw
    6 years ago

Chi, that Red Heart clip that Lukki shared is great, and it is how I weave in most ends. Sometimes the crochet is of thin yarn or thread and is very lacy, and for those I use a sharp needle so that I can pierce the threads of the work as I weave in ends. Piercing on lace tablecloths works quite well at making ends secure.

Chi thanked sheilajoyce_gw
  • Yayagal
    6 years ago

Came out just perfect, pat yourself on the shoulder.

Chi thanked Yayagal
  • happy2b…gw
    6 years ago

Thank you for the link to sewrella. Her videos are far superior to the ones I have referred to. I saved the site to my bookmarks. Now I am looking forward to trying again.

Chi thanked happy2b…gw
  • Chi
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks everyone. I also noticed it came out kind of fuzzy after I washed it. I don't know if that's normal. I used soft, shiny, acrylic, 4/medium yarn.

• irma
    6 years ago

Oh wow. Are you sure you haven't done this before? That is gorgeous!

Chi thanked irma
  • DawnInCal
    6 years ago

Beautifully done, Chi! Thanks for posting photos of it being worn; that really helped me visualize how it works. Lucky little girl!

Chi thanked DawnInCal
  • User
    6 years ago

Chi, I still can’t believe it’s your first project and I love your niece’s reaction to it!! What a pretty girl! LOL.

I think weaving the ends is the what everyone dreads the most. I agree, the thinner the threads the more challenging, but the method in the video is the easiest and most secure that I’ve found. When I use a sock type yarn, instead of splitting the threads, I will double the number of times I thread back and forth through the stitches. The other thing I do (which in a way seems like cheating) is I use Susan Bates finishing needles instead of the eye needles. It makes threading much more quick and easy.

• User
    6 years ago

I don’t want to hijack your thread Chi, so I’ll just mention this real quick but if you or anyone else who is trying to learn, needs help, whether its a stitch, pattern or technique, don’t hesitate to post or reach out. I’d be glad to help and I’m sure any one of the other seasoned crocheters would be as well.

• Chi
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks Lukki, I hadn't seen those needles before and they do look easier. I used a large, blunt needle and the yarn unraveled a bit trying to thread it. I will check out your video.

That's not my niece but I hope she'll have a similar reaction! :)

• User
    6 years ago

Yeah...I just reread the posts and saw that she’s not your niece, she’s still cute though! LOL I have no doubt the reaction will be very similar!

• katlan
    6 years ago

Well holy cow, that is adorbs! I'm am majorly impressed with it being your first project. You should be proud of yourself. Wish I had that talent.

I think if I was the mom I would be tempted to tuck it away for daughter to have forever.

• abbisgram
    6 years ago

I think that is so sweet. You did a great job.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    6 years ago

It is so cute and you did an amazing job on it!

• marilyn_c
    6 years ago

I am impressed....first project and it looks great! My mom could crochet and when I was a kid, I tried to get her to teach me, but she had no patience and I couldn't pick it up fast enough to suit her. I never progressed past making chains and a pattern that looked sort of like a sea shell. I gave up and never went back to it.

• andreap
    6 years ago

That is amazing for a first project! Good job. I learned a long time ago and have got back into it now as it relaxes me. I think everyone got tired of the dish cloths and towels in cotton so I moved on to doilies and snow flakes with fine crochet cotton. And infinity scarves with thick yarn. Now I am working on a thick blanket using 2 strands at a time, for my dog and me. It is fun and meditative. Keep going with it. I use a smaller crochet hook to weave in the ends. Or with the fine cotton thread, an embroidery needle.

• Hareball
    6 years ago

I wish the knitting and crocheting areas on here were more active.

• Rusty
    6 years ago

You've done a beautiful job, that is really very pretty! I'll admit I've never heard of a princess blanket before reading this thread. Thank you for posting the picture of how it is used.

Years ago I crocheted a lot, doilies, scarves, pot holders, baby sweater sets, baby blankets, novelty items, you name it, I crocheted it! Then about 30 or so years ago, I just stopped, I guess I had too many arts and crafts projects going on. I took it up again recently, making a baby blanket. Well! It's amazing how much I've had to practically relearn! Not to mention that severe Osteoarthritis in my shoulders and some stiffness and numbness in my fingers really slows me down. And affects the quality of the work. But I'm determined to finish this blanket by this weekend!

Congratulations on a beautiful accomplishment! I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of more of your work!

Rusty

• tami_ohio
    6 years ago

You did a beautiful job! Hard to believe it's your first time! It will be a treasure, for sure.

Hareball, send me a PM and I can give you a link to a very active knit and crochet forum.