SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
briceunland

Granite - Tiny Rust Spots?

Brice
6 years ago
So we just had Galaxy White granite installed in our house (first granite kitchen for us) and we love it. We picked out the slabs, the contractors were above awesome, and we like working on the material!

However, I noticed after sealing the granite last week (two days after install), there are tiny orange (rust?) spots in areas of our granite. I didn’t think much of it. My wife says she saw them in the granite right after install and was surprised because she didn’t see them before but assumes she missed them on the slab picking day. She doesn’t mind them. I don’t really mind them.

But what’s driving me crazy is if more are appearing! Is my granite rusting? In all my searching I only found “large” rust stains on granite and many of them surface. These are below surface and not large (many are just pin hole size). Is it possible water (which we don’t leave on the counter other than wiping down the granite) is making its way in and reacting with iron after install (and after sealing)?

Or, that’s highly unlikely, I just never noticed them before, and they are not spreading and/or this is common in Galaxy White?

If it’s likely/possible that they are developing now, thoughts on stopping them/removing them?

Thanks folks!

Comments (40)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!