SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sydney_leigh67

Silver satin Pothos help

Sydney Leigh
6 years ago

Hi there,

i really am in love with this plant and I want to mke sure I keep it alive. I’ve been watering either once a week or twice a week. My plant was starting to grow then the new growth started to turn yellow and fall off. Then I noticed recently two of the leaves that were growing out of the pot turned yellow. I wait till the top is dried out to water. I also live in New York and I have south facing windows with only direct sunlight for 2 hours. I had it in the window sill but there was a draft and I heard they hate cold drafts so I moved it about 8 feet in on the top of my bookshelf. Is there any other advice on helping this beautiful plant grow? I also noticed that the nodges are dry as well.

Comments (30)

• Karen S. (7b, NYC)
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

These aren't direct light plants, 2 hrs that shouldn't matter much. Looks like it could use more humidity.

I'd try a pebble tray: a plastic saucer w/ pebbles in it. Set the pot ON TOP of that, then water to overflow, wait a few minutes & pour off the excess.

• Sydney Leigh
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks I actually ordered one this morning. Should I take the tray off the bottom of my plant when I put it on the humidity tray? Also. should I place It back in my window sill? I’m more afraid of the cold drafts.

• petrushka (7b)
    6 years ago

I've been growing this one for 2 years almost - it's been a very fast grower, but it takes quite a lot of water once it gets bigger. mine sat in the middle of a super bright room with windows West and North, fl to ceil. but it was 7 feet from them at least. and it grew like crazy. If you can't read at daylight in the position where it's at - it's too dark. move it closer to the window, may be 3-4 feet?

the older leaves will go yellow and fall off - that's normal.

but when it's growing fast it needs to be fed with fertilizer regularly. mine grows in winter too - year round, so I feed it year round too.

I can't see how large your pot is relative to the plant size.

give us another pic or two. also can't see the tips well and how many stems you have in the pot.

• Sydney Leigh
    Original Author
    6 years ago

What kind of fertilizer do you suggest? Here’s more pictures ... I hope this helps. I could read in daylight where it’s at I have 5 feet tall windows

• Sydney Leigh
    Original Author
    6 years ago

What kind of fertilizer do you suggest? Here’s more pictures ... I hope this helps. I could read in daylight where it’s at I have 5 feet tall windows

• petrushka (7b)
    6 years ago

you can put some osmocote time release granules for fruit/veggie 14-14-14.

it'll get a bit ev time you water. or African violet liquid fertilizer 7-7-7 or 10-10-10.

or anything for houseplants once ev 1-2 weeks depending on growth rate.

it seems to me it's doing ok. that yellow leaf you can remove - it's just old.

when it grows longer, you can cut the tips (3-4 leaves + 2-3 nodes where leaves are removed) and water root it . I root it in long-fiber sphagnum moss (orchid moss) tented. it's very easy.

• petrushka (7b)
    6 years ago

your bark is very large - when you water it will not absorb much water.

how much soilless mix do u have in the mix? this is a thirsty plant, it likes to be moist - if you have too much large bark, it's possible it's not getting enough water even if it pours thru.

IF you have a lot of this bark in the mix - you need to make sure it's not dry. if it dried up, the only way to rewet it is to submerge the pot in water almost to the top (so the water covers the bark ) and let it stand for at least 30 min.

if it's just mulch on top - then what's underneath it?

• Karen S. (7b, NYC)
    6 years ago

I'd switch to a fresh pot, that accumulation of minerals & salts on the outer pot may be inside too & may leech into the soil.

Agree w/ Petruska, the yellowed leaf is just old & can be removed.

Broadly speaking, once you get the soil & water down, these plants need little else & actually do well when neglected.

I'm unclear WHAT you just ordered. Yes, you will need to remove the saucer in order for the pebble tray to work.

I'd keep the plant off the windowsill if it's that cold, cause the combination of cold AND wet, is especially bad for them.

• Sydney Leigh
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi ... I got this from a store in the Lower east side potted as is. I think it’s just a few pieces of mulch on top. While I was digging through the soil to see if It was dry I found green litttle balls. Do you think that is the fertilizer? I’m more worried because on the long pieces there were New leaves growing and then they went yellow and fell off... the pot also was like that when I got It. It’s in a terra-cotta pot. What new pot do you suggest? And should I buy anything else if I repot?

• Sydney Leigh
    Original Author
    6 years ago

As you see in the last picture the nodge completely dried up.

• Sydney Leigh
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks- I only got this plant a couple months ago so I would say its younger. And sorry what is wrap smth moist or moist sphag? And what can I do to tent the plant I just bought this from amazon to boost the humidity tray

• petrushka (7b)
    6 years ago

>>>when they [aerial roots} are young they will develop into longer roots if you wrap smth {something] moist around them. in moist sphag [long fiber NZ sphagnum moss - what orchids are packed in often] they quickly develop into long roots.

young refers to the tip node with white nubs , while they are still white they can grow and attach to something. mostly just ignore them, they will brown and stop growing when new node appears (node is where leaf is attached - thickened stem).

you can tent with any large clear plastic bag or if pot/plant is small with large floral sleeve. but plastic looks ugly of course to leave permanently.

you don't need it - this plant is pretty tough.

• Sydney Leigh
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you! I got the humidity tray so hopefully that works

• Sydney Leigh
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I’m going away for 10 days... what is the best way to take Care of this plant??

• petrushka (7b)
    6 years ago

water it well and tent it : throw a large transparent plastic bag on top of it.

dry-cleaners bag is great. you can close it, but some ventilation is ok (top hole is ok). or you can put the tray and pot inside the bag and close it on top with a twisty or rubber-band - this way if there is condensation, it will not drip on your furniture.

lowering your thermostat to 66-67F or at least 68F will be good - in lower temps tropicals absorb less water, so the plant will remain moist longer.

for a large pot lowering temp would be sufficient for 10 days. but yours does not look that big - so I would tent it.

but...your pot is clay - so it evaporates water faster then a plastic pot and it's not good for tenting - it might develop mold. you can wash it off of course - but you are probably keeping the weathered look on purpose ;)...you might consider transferign it into the plastic pot in the future and keeping the clay as outside decorative pot with plastic inner pot.

for now it's better to put a smaller grocery bag just over the leaves and losely secure it just above the pot with a string.

even if the plant dries up a bit - you can rehydrate it later easily by watering it well and tenting it for a couple of weeks.

• Sydney Leigh
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi there... me again... thanks for all your advice... I’ve noticed maybe some mold on these roots... is this normal. ???

• Sydney Leigh
    Original Author
    6 years ago

• Sydney Leigh
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I also thought I had two new leaves growing on the vine and they turned yellow this morning...

• petrushka (7b)
    6 years ago

it looks like old leaf sheath to me, not a leaf. picture of bits does not tell much,

next time take a pic of the tip that it was attached to.

leaf sheath protects the emerging leaf, then it gets old and dries up and might fall off. or not. when the plant is tented it might mildew..on this plant not every leaf node has a sheath, only some. perhaps, it's a sheath that fell of from the older leaf and not a growing tip?

when the plant is tented there might be some mildew developing on bark/old leaves etc. there is some decay of older leaves/roots...so, yes, it is normal. just remove decaying parts. I don't see much mildew to cause fretting in any case..

did you tent when you went away? you soil looks very dry on the pic - perhaps the plant got too dry? that can certainly cause drying of a growing tip(leaf/sheath). clay pot is not the best choice for this plant - the soil dries up much faster in it then in plastic.

I can't see what sort of soil is in your pot. when the soil is heavy keeping the plant in unglazed clay helps to get the soil dry faster.

but this plant does not like to dry up fast - so I would recommend to lift it out of clay pot and put it in plastic pot. you can still put plastic inside the clay to maintain the decorative look.

• Sydney Leigh
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi there... I ended up having a jug of eater and putting a shoelace in the soil to make sure it had enough water... the pieces that yellowed were on vines that don’t have any leaves on them just the nodges. ok I will repot the plant. What kind of soil should I buy when I repot.?

• petrushka (7b)
    6 years ago

just cut off those leafless vines - they are unsightly. the plant will bud then and produce more leaves from the cut point. cut 1/4" above the existing leaf.

obviously it's been drying up too much for awhile if it's been dropping many top leaves.

• Sydney Leigh
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you! You are seriously my life saver.. Should I replant those vines without the leaves? There are one or two leaves on the very end that are starting new growth.

• petrushka (7b)
    6 years ago

setting a self-watering wick is very good - you can try inserting it 1" below soil to have good contact with medium, all the way around the perimeter of the pot, but not touching the clay (it'll just wick off moisture into the pot wall).

actually it'll like this type of set-up a lot - even moisture at all times. but still you'll need to water normally periodically.

• petrushka (7b)
    6 years ago

the simplest thing to do is to put those cut-off vines in water until you see roots started (about 1/2 inch to 1 inch is good) - then you can plant them. it's better if they have 2 leaves at the end: if at this point you just have 1 leaf starting or just 1 lonely leaf at the end wait for 2 new leaves to grow, then cut them off. you'll need 2 extra leafless nodes after one with leaf: to insert into soil. if you have more then that just cut them off.

not so easy to get soils in NYC, but home depo is your best bet. they have African violet mix and perlite: add about 1/3 perlite to av mix .

reuse your large bark: take it off and soak it in hot water for 2 days, then cut it up to 1/2" :)))). I know it's too much to ask...

if your pots are up to 6" it's not really necessary. bigger then that and adding 1/4 part smallish bark pieces will add aeration and drainage.

• Sydney Leigh
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Awesome.. I was going to check out Home Depot, I went to Lowes this morning and they had nothing. Should I also consider a bigger plastic pot or try to keep it around the same size pot is in now?

• petrushka (7b)
    6 years ago

what size is your pot now? 6"?

relative to current plant size your pot size is ok.

my satin pothos tripled in 1 year and it was in 4" pot originally. and then it doubled again and I trimmed it and rooted several 1' long vines for the 2nd pot and after another 6mo and MORE growth finally I put the original plant in 6" pot :)

but I grow everything on self watering-wicks with constant liquid feed. and I have very good light in general, much brighter then avg house/apt.

I have hoya carnosa growing in 4" pot that is very healthy and thick 1'x2' bush with 5" water roots trailing in the reservoir underneath. so finally I potted it into a pint deli-tub, a whole inch larger :))))..I expect it'll put on another foot soon - more then that I just cannot handle :)))).

so it all depends...

• Sydney Leigh
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hey there. So I’m going to report this plant today but I noticed more yellowing especially in the roots of one my biggest section. Is this due to over watering/ under watering? I usually water twice a week until the water drips out of the bottom. And I’ve been misting the leaves once or twice a week.

• petrushka (7b)
    6 years ago

some older leaves yellowing is normal. it is really very undemanding plant except for warmth and moisture. warmth means 75-85F by the way.

what's your temp day/night?

if it's 65F and it's damp - that might cause yellowing. if you have 68F - watering twice a week might be too much - you need to stick a chopstick into th mix to check before you water. if it's dry in top third then water. and don't let it dry more then by half the mix height.

• Sydney Leigh
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I don’t have a thermostat but I would say between 65-70. I’ll double check the watering thanks

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting